ChCh 7.4 earthquake

Caryl

I think the anticipation is getting worse as this drags on and on :( .....will this be the big one? Is it the last one? Will there be more after we've had a break for a few hours? Will the power and water stay on?..... I've been very fortunate with not having broken tanks, but its always in the back of your mind. Ph call from someone bringing a large turtle around today after their tank collapsed. Not sure where it will go?? :(

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the anticipation is getting worse as this drags on and on :( .....will this be the big one? Is it the last one? Will there be more after we've had a break for a few hours? Will the power and water stay on?..... I've been very fortunate with not having broken tanks, but its always in the back of your mind. Ph call from someone bringing a large turtle around today after their tank collapsed. Not sure where it will go?? :(

Good to see you're still helping the helpless :D

I have a Via Aqua 750 canister filter with a broken impellar shaft that I need to get running. (Can use water bucketed from newly dug pond). If anyone has something that would fit, please let me know ASAP. :) I've had to start overcrowding tanks and need to get more space as overcrowded tanks will lead to more problems with turtle waste and also aggression. I've a couple of useless eheim 2213s which cant cope with a 4ft turtle tank. I may well get more turtles, so if someone can help with that broken impellar shaft, let me know :)

Have to go to work soon... I really DONT want to be away from home and not know whats happening with the tanks during the ongoing quakes :(

Donna I have four Fluval 205 canisters from tanks that I lost. You are welcome to use them until I can get tanks up again but most have damage to hoses, intakes, etc that will need fixing before they will run. It might be possible to use parts from each to get one running.

Morbid as it seems, it does help to 'talk' about it here.

The experience was incredibly traumatic for me and many of my friends who had lots of damage and sustained injuries from being thrown around during the big one. I guess it is a bit like grieving - everyone goes home after the funeral and life goes on but it takes a long time to come to terms with the loss.

I am so grateful for all the messages of support I have received in the last couple of days, it has really helped.

The local pet shop put a sign up saying that they repair tanks. I went past the other day and someone was walking out of the shop with a tank that didn't seem to have a complete panel on it. They obviously don't repair tanks on a complete rebuild basis. I have to admit that it was a stainless steel angle iron framed tank. There does seem to be a lot of broken tanks around---we were very lucky. Even my lizards seem to be acting normally--as normal as a hyperactive madly scratching--want to lay eggs female beardie can be.

A few shakes last night but not as frequent or strong as they have been.