ChCh 7.4 earthquake

Caryl

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did my post go...? :-?

Long story short, lots of water from tanks, no cracks, everything is fine and power just came back on. Not sure how much media is dramatizing the damage as I can't see any from up on my hill. Twas a eerie site watching New Brighton evacuate instantly after the first shock.

This morning I found my discus tank at 22* which wasn't good but have got it back to 25 and now the power is back on.

Apparently we're not to use much water as the sewer system is skrewed...

Also noticed the shock had moved my 240L tank a couple of CMs along its stand... :-?

Not mine as he is here, not there :wink:

They will be dramatising, as they do, but there is a lot of damage to the CBD. Check out the pics on Stuff.

Gareth, at Belfast, said they just got power back on too.

Thanks to all those people who, instead of staying at home to help their own families, head out to restore power, order, water etc to the masses. :hail::bow:

WOW it was intense, my tank sits on a rocky dresser that will shudder if I step to firmly on the ground next to it, its moved aprox 10cm off the dresser an me half asleep panicing an stressing as the whole thing shakes side to side while i attempt to hold it in place! 180L tank lost about 20L :P I was just thankful it didn't get any worse or I wouldn't have been able to hold it

I have 2 spare tanks an power an water if anyone in chch gets desperate txt me 02102795337

http://www.crashbang.co.nz/quake040910/

cant help but wonder if redwood aquatics has a generator, might call an see if they need help with anything because they have a huge amount of tanks there im sure its a bloody mess

after shock as im typing this was a hell of a fright this morning we lost 2 tvs and heater that a tv fell on as well as pot plants and a liquour cabinet , no one was hurt and my fish tanks splashed a bit of water but are ok i was boiling water on the bbq to put in a coke bottle to float in my marine tank to keep the temp over 20 degs thbnk god the power has come back on.

our driveway is cracked and the deck and concrete around the house is cracked and has moved 2 inches away from the house in parts

my flatmate wernt for a drive to cheack on his friends house who was away for the weekend he said heaps of chimmneys were collapsed and gaps had opened up in peoples lawns and sand had spewed out

Was just talking to Gareth via Skype and they had 3 aftershocks while we were talking. He is a little nervous :-?

No serious damage at his place though, except for household breakages which are insured.

One of the cats as reappeared but 1 is still missing :cry:

No damage to my fish tanks but quite a bit of water sloshed everywhere. I think Jennifer had a whole wrack of tanks over and broken in her garage---some rare and not so cheap fish all over the floor and some she had successfully bred as well.

One of the problems that arose was liquifaction where areas of sandy subsoil with high water table turned to liquid and that could cause damage. There are areas near us affected but we are OK. The Avon sloshed the banks in some places and it was a pretty low tide so hate to think what would have happened if it had been a high spring tide.

Secure your tanks and stands.

Glad to hear most of you are okay but my heart goes out to those not so lucky.

My 87 year old father is in ChCh and fortunately answered the phone when I rang this morning (he lives alone). Said he thought the house was going to go but at this stage it appears that the damage is limited to all his pictures and ornaments down, clock off the wall and tv on the floor. He was tidying up when I called. He will phone me again tonight.

Its hard when you live so far away.

I awoke at 4:45am this morning in Dunedin to my flatmate telling me my fish rack had fallen over and all tanks smashed. Got home just before and 2 tanks are completely smashed, water and sand everywhere but only lost one baby fish. I saw a photo of Jen's garage and mine is nothing compared to that..

My 60l cold salt water jumped off the stand and spread it's contents across the room.

Have just finished wet vac. Amazing how far 60l will spread. My 600L moved across the floor about 125mm and dropped the two plate glass covers into the tank - no apparent damage at this time.

My son was not as lucky with his house now straddling a massive crack which runs across the road, under his house and back across the road on the other side ( corner section) The house will most likely be a write off as it has torn apart. I was amazed that my 100L hex in the lounge only slopped a bit of water. It is about 2 meters tall and top heavy. Will now put a strap around it.

PS On the way to my son's house I noticed water coming out the doors of Animates in Papanui and at Bubble and Sqeak in Stanmore Road.

Had a look around town, and I saw about 3 of the handful of sites pictured on the news.

Bunch of traffic lights are out and a few roads are closed but most of the damage seems to belong only to the old brick houses around the place. A lot of chimneys have broken and fallen and some unlucky ones have had theirs go through their roof.

Only saw 2 really bad sites and they would be because of their building structure/age because the ones next door are mostly okay...

LFS had 3 tanks crack and apparently there was "a lot of stuff everywhere"

and the local supermarket was a mess this morning from the photos I've seen.