ChCh 7.4 earthquake

Caryl

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lied. It was the worst aftershock so far were we are. It was short and very sharp for us but others are saying it went on for a long time. It depends on your location and probably depends on the substrata. We could do with a bit of a rest from this but the problem is that if you have a long spell with little activity you start wondering if it is saving up the energy for another big one.

Aaaaaaand another.

Do some yard/house work today, I don't feel them when I'm moving about.

That big one was only 5.1 guys >_> But shallow, so it felt strong.

Funny how last week we'd have said. "WOW" a 5.1 earthquake!... now its only a 5.1.... perspective changes :(

My power stays on...so far, but I keep losing internet frequently. Amazing how you find you rely on it when its not available. Right, heart pounding and fingers still shaking too much to type any more... :roll: ..and that was another little roll......

Have you got a water supply to do changes in the turtle tanks Donna?

I am at work today checking all the sites almost continually to see what is happening. Haven't heard back from Gareth since he said they had just had another big one. May have lost power now. I am sure he and Dena are fine but they are certainly sick of the shaking! :(

HI Caryl, Enough left in pond to do one more round on all the tanks. Then I'll need to fill pond again and treat with bleach.... when I'm not shaking and can work out percentages etc. :o Off to work now.... bit late, but hey... we've had an earthquake or 100 :o

Milo is NOT happy..... and getting worse each day. Turtles seem to be reasonably oblivious... as far as I can tell anyway, but not happy at not being fed for a few days :roll: Will feed them again tonite, just dry fish, not meat, to reduce waste.

just heard from lynnie , her and family are ok although she lost all her tanks and has water damage to her house from a burst water pipe

That is really sad that she lost all her tanks and fish.... I guess there will be a lot of people with issues like this.

I have two 350 litre tanks and so far they have held up. Lots of water on the ground on Saturday, not so bad this morning, but this morning I was watching the tanks from the lounge wobbling with the major after shock today.

When we lost power on Saturday for 10 hours I went and bought a 12 - 230 volt invertor to run one of the tanks. I connected it to the car battery. The other tank I took water out into a bucket, and then boiled some of it in a pot on the gas hob, and then put the water back into the bucket and back into the tank to try to raise the temperature.

The tank dropped about 8-10 degress F over the 10 hours.

At this time no fish have got sick but the Discus do appear to be more timid.

I have an earthquake page on my weather site at http://weather.crowe.co.nz/quake/ which lists the shocks in a graph.

Overall I am very lucky with very minor damage to the property.

chris

Some might find this perspective on the earthquakes interesting.. http://www.predictweather.com/ArticleSh ... &type=home

It has been the 2nd closest moon to the earth for the year, we often get weather bombs and such like around those times.

Very interesting - I wonder how close it will be in 6 months time?

Chris

Very interesting - I wonder how close it will be in 6 months time?

Chris

Yes I was thinking that too. You can contact Ken and he will probably make a prediction if he hasn't put it somewhere already, or he might put something out next year. I think how it's done is he plots the path of the moon over the country in conjunction with how far away it is, in conjunction with the speed it's travelling ie faster at moon rise/set and some other things I can't remember, there is a bunch of variables that when they all collide it makes for trouble. It's quite mathematical. I will say he has been quite wrong sometimes but also very right too. He seems to get the big stuff right.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/c ... earthquake

The Press phoned me yesterday to see how things were as wanted to print a "good News" story. So they arrived around 5.45 pm to photograph and ask questions and it was in today. (Just ignore his typos..and I dont have a pond inside...its outside :roll: )

Such a relief to be able to use the water again! :bounce: That will really relieve the pressure on the turtle care. Getting a couple of filters today from Erica, so can set up a 4ft tank and fill with water to relieve some of the overcrowding in a couple of tanks. :)

Yeah, only 7 quakes after 9pm :roll:

Yep, a quiet night!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Managed to sleep right through for the first time in 5 nights :bounce: :bounce:

Cleaned up my spare 130 l last night, will set that up in the weekend. The 14 Discus in the 35 litre tank currently will be happy once I have done that! The only problem is I will have to move it, and the other tanks, some time soon to get the walls repaired. :cry::cry: