ChCh 7.4 earthquake

Caryl

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 cracked tanks in my fishroom, and water all over but so far no losses.

Have spare tank space if anyone needs it, PM me.

Checked in on Organism on the way past, no major losses there... just stock falling in tanks ...

And as for the 'looting reports' lifting a few bottles of alchol is hardly looting, anywhere else in the world they'd go straight for the TV's and electrical stuff, but here they go straight for the piss lol ....

I thought I'd sustained no damage until I saw water dripping through the ceiling. The hot water cylinder had shifted and the feed pipe had come loose. The plumber has just left. We've drained it and have laid it on it's side so it can't fall any further. I still think I'm lucky when I see what others are going through.

The aftershocks are coming fast now, about every few minutes and they are getting stronger - feeling a bit motion sick.

I had lots of flooding from the sloshing big tanks, not to mention the 10 smaller tanks that took a leap off the shelves. I shot out of bed the moment the earthquake started and got thrown around the room and into the walls, couldn't stand up much less walk. I lurched toward the tanks, thinking only of the fish I would need to pick up off the floor. The sound from the earthquake and crashing kitchen items, bookcases and tanks was deafening. Thank heavens that the power was on at that stage so I could see and catch any fish that were swimming on the floor in the garage (it was doubly hard to see through the muck and my tears at the same time). I managed to save a few by scraping them off the floor, the others I found later washed down the driveway. Both apisto pairs survived but I lost the female with fry. Amazingly lots of hongsloi fry survived as did the miniature longfin GBA fry. Also lost all the big shelly fry one by one over the course of the day - none of the other fish died in that bucket so I am thinking they died of stress - strange because I thought they were tougher than the apistos but I guess not. All the refugees are together in one big tank now, and all are looking very good considering their ordeal.

Our street has a big crack down it and our water is off due to fractured pipes. I am covered in cuts from all the broken glass and my feet hurt from glass cuts and stomping towels into carpet to soak up some of the water but I am eternally grateful for all the lovely people who have been calling, emailing and txting me all day. Your concern and friendship means so much right now and has helped me through a very tough day.

Didnt feel it up here myself heavy sleeper and all :)

So sorry to hear some of you have lost fishes, cats and other things - but glad to hear you are all safe and sound. Let hope the aftershocks subside quickly and the winds dont get too strong tomoro. Aint it great to see the Kiwi community spirit is still alive and well :)

kia kaha

Thank heavens that the power was on at that stage so I could see and catch any fish that were swimming on the floor in the garage (it was doubly hard to see through the muck and my tears at the same time). I managed to save a few by scraping them off the floor, the others I found later washed down the driveway.

I am so sorry about everything happening for you now Jennifer, we are with you all the way in thoughts, and just shout if we can help you. When I read the part I quoted above, the tears just started falling, I wish I could do something to help out. :cry:

Its nothing compared to what others are going through, but i recently rehomed my fish with a friend as im changing to a marine set up. She is over on the west coast as her mum has days left to live. She still does not have any power and its going to be a long, cold night. Her partner cant even leave his house to help as he is a volunteer fire fighter and needs to stay close for call outs.

Im thinking about trying to get some warm water (not that we have much ourselves, with the power being out a lot of teh day), going to he partners house, getting the keys and trying to save her/my fish! But im starting to wonder what a couple of bottles with warm water would actually achieve with a 240L tank :/ Damn.

I feel bad about the fish, but i cant even imagine my friend coming home from her mum dying to find a tank full of dead fish at home :cry:

crappy, crappy nights sleep. First noticeable shock (at least first one I didn't sleep through) was just before 3, then a few around 5.30, then 7ish (with wee ones in between) - but it doesn't matter if they're small or big, you're always instantly wide awake and paranoid that it will grow.

I read an article yesterday explaining that the prediction that there will be a big aftershock is based on statistics of other large quakes in the past - most were followed by an aftershock of around one point on the richter scale lower than the original. This doesn't always happen, but statistically it is apparently more likely than not. Great.

Cat is hungry againy lol, fishies haven't sploshed any more yet, I'm behind on my work and can't get far enough into my workroom to get to my sewing machines yet. Here's a pic of my friend in my guest bed/workroom after the shelves had emptied onto him in the quake:

NewImage-1.jpg - he didn't even notice!

Aftershocks are still coming and I'm so over them!