ChCh 7.4 earthquake

Caryl

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big tank lost about 10% water plus two 3ft, another small tank made my fish room a pond

the "other tank" was full, i still have pleco's in it cycling the tank ready for its new tenant, that lost about 1/4 water....rimless open top reef tank lost about half its water lol

I forgot about the reef, bugger, salt water and carpet aren't a good mix! At least the big tank is still standing, I looked at the stand on my 6' this morning with no diagonal bracing and contemplated what could happen....

Georgeous, calm, warm, spectacularly sunny day here today. No trace of the winds any more and just a few things blown around - nothing broken (at least from that).

IIRC, from my grandparents who lived in Hastings most their lives and were in the 1931 big one, isn't that perfect earthquake weather?

So horrible to read about all the fishy deaths, I can't imagine how helpless some of you must feel.

It sounds like I'm possibly going to be dispatched to our Christchurch office to help out there, will know by the end of today whether I'm going or not.

Make sure you bring plenty of drinking water, and hand sanitiser, if you do come up.

Several other friends of mine had their fish tanks topple too, and are having trouble getting the glass out of the carpet.

Interestingly, they have been complete-setup type ones, with matching cabinets like Aquaone or Jebo (dunno exact brands). I'm glad all tanks at my house were on unofficial, sturdy stands like desks.

Several other friends of mine had their fish tanks topple too, and are having trouble getting the glass out of the carpet.

Interestingly, they have been complete-setup type ones, with matching cabinets like Aquaone or Jebo (dunno exact brands). I'm glad all tanks at my house were on unofficial, sturdy stands like desks.

I'm suspecting it has something to do with the round corner which is bent and they are more prone to pressure compare to normal square tank.

It more has to do with the fact of the footprint of those tanks and the fact that the footprint of the tank = the footprint of the stand.

Brand is irrelevant.

A non branded tank is equally likely to topple over; just as a branded tank is less likely to topple over if it was kept on a stand with a larger footprint than the tank itself.

and were toppled tanks higher than they were wide so more top heavy?

I have been looking at info re quake-proofing tanks and it has been interesting. Hope to create an article. Those with pics of their broken tanks, or the damage from sloshing water, please email them to me :wink:

I'm a little late to the 'party' but I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with all those who experienced substantial damage to their homes and property. I can't even imagine going though something like that but I'm so glad that their were no fatalities... that is the most important thing.

So sorry to hear about all the fish and tank loses too :( It will no doubt serve as a warning to the rest of use to reconsider our setups and prepare ourselves the best we can for such an emergency.

I am proud to see how the fish community has pulled together and offered up any equipement and help to others!

The tank, poly and board all slid off the top off the stand together.

Just finished lowering the level in my 600L and jacking and levering it back into position.

Hope it stays there this time. Will look at anchoring it to the concrete floor.

It sits on a six legged metal box section stand.

My son whose house was written off in Avonside came to our house for a meal on Saturday nite.

On his way back to their temp accommodation they called into their house to pick up some clothes and disturbed the burglars. Police dog tracked them for about two miles and they were to appear in court today.

Low lifes.

We had a 'pulse' here last night that was very scarey (I had not been scared at all until then). Strangely enough, it didn't even register with others in town but it felt HUGE here! That aftershock just now was "only" 3.7 but it is relative to where you are as to how you feel it. Check it out here (I am glued to this site).

we are less than 20 km from the epicentre and we are feeling everything! Was in at work today talking to my wife at home on the phone. She had a big tremor which I didn't even feel on the 4th floor of the building I was in in Christchurch. While Simon Dallow was talking on the news at 1803 hrs, we had a thumper of a shock that sent water sloshing in the tanks again, oops just had another one as I am typing this. Yet the structural damage here is minimal - we are on old riverbed and there is more stone than dirt. Yet driving through Jennifers part of town (twice as far from the epicentre than us) the damage is far heavier, 'mole-hills' everywhere, new lakes, roads bulging and cracked - most of that area is reclaimed wetlands.

Managed to get a carpet cleaner in this afternoon and has set up his drying equipment (the last of his 20 blowers) to clean up the 80litres of water in our spare bedroom. He said he has been rushed off his feet cleaning up aquarium water and booze.

Take care Cantabs.