ChCh 7.4 earthquake

Caryl

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was working at the time and we lost power which isn't good when you have two furnaces full of molten steel, so there's likely to be some damage. Sorted that as best I could and raced home to check the tanks. I've been lucky again, just some minor spillage.

Now it's back to work to see what's cooked and what isn't.

The epicentre was a couple of kms away from my house and very shallow so it was really loud and violent shake here. My tanks lost a lot of water so carpet flooded again. One tank, the half-full temporary refugee tank, slipped almost off its stand so I had to rush out to siphon the water out and shift it back on the stand (and got a minor electrical shock in the process but then the fuse tripped. :o). Some things fell off the shelves and wardrobe doors came off but nothing broken. Fresh liquefaction in the neighborhood. I can't believe that was only a 5.0.

I thought it felt larger than a 5.0. Went home (Cashmere - close-ish to the epi-centre) to check on my tanks and I've lost about 40L of water combined. Carpets are pretty wet. 350L trigon tank has shifted off it's base so I'm going to have to empty that to shift it back. Fish are all OK. Few things have fallen onto the ground in the kitchen and broken, but nothing major.

Gareth says they have structural damage to their house and garage now that did not appear in the initial quake. The house has sunk quite noticeably in one corner and cracks have appeared on the walls and some doors are not closing properly. All minor compared to some.

He hasn't been home to check for water damage yet this time. May be a mess when he gets home tonight. :cry:

No need to apologise Barrie, I am sure we all need to laugh during times of stress. I doubt any of them are so traumatised that they would shift to Auckland yet :lol:

Indeed. No offence taken. We can all laugh about it (after we have changed our knickers). :lol:

We have structural damage here too. Cracks on the outside now as well as the inside but fortunately a door that wouldn't close after the big one has now shifted so it closes. :D

Lots of loud aftershocks today though...

whoops - should have said

my hubby reckons a NEW volcano is going to pop up down there.

I'm a ChCh girl, born and bred there and lived for 24 years in the Hoon Hay, Spreydon, Cashmere and Halswell areas so I am very concerned about the goings on with all the shakes.

i didnt feel the one today as i was out side but we mowed our lawns on friday and discovered a 6m long crack in the ground we didnt know was there

the grass was nearly 2 foot high over it lucky no went walks over that part of our property