Everything posted by Caryl
-
Angelfish help
Exactly Ira! I may have another go but will not keep doing so. I would rather they died quickly being eaten than died slowly because I was not giving them all they needed.
-
Angelfish help
I am assuming they have kept going Alan but the hospice hasn't told me as I had said the problem would continue anyway.
-
Angelfish help
I am afraid they all died very quickly - as I expected. I do now have all I need if I get another lot of fry though. Haven't heard if the angels have continued producing fry so must go and have a look.
-
axolotl, goldfish
In a pond with goldfish? Most ponds have snails.
-
Zebrafish (Danio rerio) available in NZ ?
And please note this is an old thread
-
Brown sludge
It means your filter is working. When you get too much sludge, give the sponges a light rinse in used tank water then put back in the filter. If you have more than one sponge, only rinse one at a time so you don't destroy all the good bacteria that is living in the sludge.
-
Help with ID on a few plants
As said, I am no plant expert so I would not necessarily believe me - except I am 99% sure about the stargrass. The baby tears might be moneywort :roll:
-
Help with ID on a few plants
Not a plant expert so someone else may say otherwise but... Second pic has 2 plants. Main bushy one is star grass, Heteranthera zosterifolia Small tall thin dark green one is Baby Tears, Bacopa sp Floating one with round leaves is pennywort, Hydrocotyle sp I don't know the different crypts.
- T-Bar cichlid
-
How about those blackhats
Horses? So they are a polo team? :dunno: :gigl:
-
Painting my background good idea or not
I always used spray paint from a can. Assuming you are painting the outside of the glass it won't matter what sort you use.
-
Gluing backing paper on
An interesting idea. I would expect the oil to make the backing slide off but obviously not! :thup:
-
Goldfish with koi colours/patterns?
As goldfish have been banned imports for so many years (or made so difficult and expensive to do that nobody wants to do it) the genetic pool of most here is very poor. There are so-called koi goldfish (because of their colouring) on the market but whether there are any here I'm not sure. I have seen some very large goldfish too!
-
hi! new to NZ
Hi Angelo and welcome. I hope you realise koi are illegal in NZ!
-
Hi from Invercargill
Good luck with the new set-up.
-
hi
Hi and welcome What sort of fish do you have in the 38L? Are there any particular type of fish you like? I would keep the 10L for a quarantine or hospital tank. Are you wanting tropical or coldwater in the 120L?
-
Anubias barteri nana 'Petite' Size
Like hovmoller, I have seen the same plant grow leaves of various sizes depending on conditions
-
Angelfish help
We went and rescued the remaining fry this morning. They are now in a small tank in my bathroom with a hang on the back filter with a sponge over the end. Temp 25C. I have finely sieved some flake food as it is all have at the moment. Will go for a walk up the hill later and see if any of the stock troughs have green water but I suspect not at this time of year. My pond is crystal clear and not a bug in sight, especially tiny ones The fry seem to be nibbling, or trying to nibble, the bit of food that has now stuck to the sponge.
-
BFRC
Do they take their teddy bears too? :thup:
-
Angelfish help
This lot will die. I have not got anything to feed them (and only local shop has nothing) and I suspect they are older than first thought as I was told they were wrigglers so assumed they were still attached to something but... I also counted 8 angels in the tank. That is more than I added! They do not need any more in there. :roll: Good to see first time parents so diligently protecting their fry though, in between eating one or two themselves Wondering where the snails came from too as there did not used to be any in there. Probably with the other angels.
-
Angelfish help
Thanks all. I imagine this will be an ongoing problem for a while as they will keep breeding. I will take a sheet of slate over to put where they laid so hopefully next time they will lay on it and the nurses notice in time I can pull the lot out on the slate. They might have to get used to watching nature and live food in action. :-?
-
Angelfish help
Thanks Alan. How is best to get the wrigglers off the glass? Just a gentle scoop with the net?
-
Angelfish help
The angels in the hospice tank have had fry overnight and the parents are desperately defending the wrigglers from the rest of the inhabitants. The nurses feel obliged to try and save them, since they are a hospice, and want to know what can be done. I know you can remove eggs but can you remove wrigglers? Any hints or tips? They are attached to the glass of the tank in a back corner. I have a tank I can set up here for them but no brine shrimp for when they have absorbed their sacs but could get some egg layer fry food or use egg yolk. Suggestions please!
-
Kickstart cycling process
Many use the shrimp method. I prefer to use an already cycled filter ;-) EDIT: Did not notice this was in the saltwater section so forget I said anything :oops:
-
Cut-In-Half Mussel Buoys for Goldfish
They should be fine, depending on size and number, for 2 - 3 years in a mussel float. I would not put goldfish in anything shorter than a 3ft (900mm) tank for a start and prefer to see comets in larger ponds but many survive in smaller containers if looked after well. I would be water changing up to half the water every week though (not in winter as they semi-hibernate so do not need feeding so produce little waste) or possibly doing a partial water over-run with a hose daily over summer. Goldfish are very messy and produce a lot of waste.