Angelfish help

Caryl

The angels in the hospice tank have had fry overnight and the parents are desperately defending the wrigglers from the rest of the inhabitants. The nurses feel obliged to try and save them, since they are a hospice, and want to know what can be done.

I know you can remove eggs but can you remove wrigglers? Any hints or tips?

They are attached to the glass of the tank in a back corner.

I have a tank I can set up here for them but no brine shrimp for when they have absorbed their sacs but could get some egg layer fry food or use egg yolk.

Suggestions please! :bow:

The best way would be to put as much water from this tank in to the tank you propose to keep them in. Do not feed them until they are free swimming and egg yolk is good but very easy to overfeed and pollute the water. microworm would be OK or freeze dried brine shrimp nuplii. You only need a small tank at this stage and bare is best. An airstone will help stir up the uneaten food that sinks to the bottom. Live brineshrimp nuplii I have found to be the best because it is moving and will rise up off the bottom of the tank. A sponge filter will be best for a while. I would try to leave them until they are free swimming.

Thanks all. I imagine this will be an ongoing problem for a while as they will keep breeding. I will take a sheet of slate over to put where they laid so hopefully next time they will lay on it and the nurses notice in time I can pull the lot out on the slate.

They might have to get used to watching nature and live food in action. :-?

This lot will die. I have not got anything to feed them (and only local shop has nothing) and I suspect they are older than first thought as I was told they were wrigglers so assumed they were still attached to something but...

DSCF6074s_zpsa9de8e29.jpg

DSCF6072s_zpsb2fa8362.jpg

DSCF6071s_zps8256c239.jpg

I also counted 8 angels in the tank. That is more than I added! They do not need any more in there. :roll:

Good to see first time parents so diligently protecting their fry though, in between eating one or two themselves :wink:

Wondering where the snails came from too as there did not used to be any in there. Probably with the other angels.

We went and rescued the remaining fry this morning. They are now in a small tank in my bathroom with a hang on the back filter with a sponge over the end. Temp 25C.

I have finely sieved some flake food as it is all have at the moment.

Will go for a walk up the hill later and see if any of the stock troughs have green water but I suspect not at this time of year. My pond is crystal clear and not a bug in sight, especially tiny ones :(

The fry seem to be nibbling, or trying to nibble, the bit of food that has now stuck to the sponge.

• 3 weeks later...
Once they start they will lay eggs every 10 to 14 days if fed well. They used to do that for me on blackworms

So the question is: Will Caryl continue to rescue every single batch and having to set up 10 growout tanks and start an angel factory?

or... let nature take care of it and let them become food.