Cut-In-Half Mussel Buoys for Goldfish

Totara

Hi guys,

The tank I just bought as a frag tank also comes with some goldfish :facepalm:. Anyway, I was wondering that if I was to take a mussel buoy and cut it in half would it be suitable for them? Will I need a filter if I keep up with water changes in there? And finally, will it be ok outside in freezing, sunny Nelson?

Regards,

Will

Mussel buoys are often used for goldfish. I use one, halved lengthways, to grow strawberries. It used to be used to breed daphnia for my tropical fish. I never kept goldfish in it as I feel they are too small and shallow. I am not happy with them for comets or any short finned variety as they are not big enough but better than a half wine barrel. I assume you mean to cut it lengthways and not across the shorter width as the shorter would be way too small.

Position has a lot to do with suitability as they get very hot in summer and can freeze over in winter because they are quite shallow. They need to be positioned under eaves or some other cover to stop either of these things happening.

Filtration is not necessary but you will probably have a major algae problem unless you are good with the water changes. A lot of live plants would help a bit.

They are easy for neighbourhood cats to fish in so a cover would be a good idea.

They should be fine, depending on size and number, for 2 - 3 years in a mussel float. I would not put goldfish in anything shorter than a 3ft (900mm) tank for a start and prefer to see comets in larger ponds but many survive in smaller containers if looked after well.

I would be water changing up to half the water every week though (not in winter as they semi-hibernate so do not need feeding so produce little waste) or possibly doing a partial water over-run with a hose daily over summer.

Goldfish are very messy and produce a lot of waste.