Ooohh... Earthquake

Zev

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grant says if it is a 74W filament bulb it will be fine. There is no mercury in filament type bulbs. Be on the safe side and use rubber gloves, just in case he's wrong :-?

If it was a discharge type bulb then it would have mercury in it but 75W are usually just high powered filaments.

Oh yes, Grant's right if it's a filament bulb.

Sorry Donna, I didn't read well your post.

Is it a bulb like this one ?

http://images.philips.com/is/image/PhilipsConsumer/924757140102_NA-GAL-global?wid=358&hei=268&$jpglarge$

We have some small 2ft ish tanks and a couple of small filters here in Belfast if anyone needs them. Pick up only sorry as our car is trapped in the Farmers car park in town. I can also baby sit any tropicals if anyone needs a safe place for hem to stay :)

Donna - I could probably keep a few turtle here for a while if you can get them out to me

Everyone else around the country probably feels the same, looking on but wishing they could just get down there and muck in and help.

Agreed. I'm sitting here doing nothing at work. It's really quiet because we deal mainly with the Christchurch branches of the insurance companies. So obviously none of them will be emailing us, calling us or sending us new jobs.

I went to Christchurch to help our office up there for a week after the 7.1 eq, so its possible I'll be sent up again at some stage. I don't know what state the office building is in but I know all our the Chch office employees are all fine. Does anyone know if the Rydges is ok?

All I can offer is an airbed on the floor of the spare room at my house in Western Southland... well away from the shaking..

Alan and Sheryl are fine. The damage in their area is extensive and some of the roads are impassable in many places. They have no power, water or phone and everything in the house is pretty much in piles on the floor now. They are in good spirits and have the fire going. They have drinking water on hand and many of the pets are now with me (they had several smashed tanks and some fish losses). Lots of cleaning up to do but they have places to stay if they decide they need a break from it all.

Just had the news about an hour ago that a good friend of ours was on the 4ft floor of the CTV building and hasn't been heard from since the quake. They are saying on TV that rescue efforts there have ceased as there can not possibly be any survivors. All we can do is hope and pray.

My heart goes out to anyone else in this situation.

Whew, evacuated all my tanks.

Of our club, I'll go through the list and see who hasn't been heard from... So far:

Dcase

Mad Whip (but think I heard him on radio yesterday :o and he is basically ok)

Tyrannosaurus (but haven't heard from her for ages, since before last one)

So of anyone has any news from them, let us know

updates:

Notjustcichlids is ok, just lost water out of tanks again.

Lynnie & family ok (they lost tanks last time, this time ok, no damage)

Elusive fish & family ok and in Hanmer now

Janelle ok and also has escaped city for now