Ooohh... Earthquake

Zev

Jennifer and Alan - it was good to catch up with you both yesterday. I was scared stiff when the 4.8 hit just after 7pm last night and kept waking during the night thinking there had been another one!

No one who does not live in ChCh can really appreciate what is going on down there. No amount of news can show what it is truly like.

Thanks for stopping by Adrienne. It is helpful to know that others care - at the very least it helps to recharge the ole batteries so that I can push on to help a little bit more. Again, I am very lucky, but it is hard to see the suffering of friends out there every day.

Kudos to Antwan for coming around to help with water changes today. Its such a small thing but every little thing helps after a long week.

A million thanks to Caryl & Grant for your generosity in helping our Chch club. Your selflessness and genuine caring is very much appreciated by us all.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, triangle of life is not the best idea as it depends on too many variables. Experts do NOT recommend it over stop/drop/hold.

DO go under a desk (old, heavy ones, not flatpack warehouse ones) or a doorway. You want to protect your head most of all.

And please stop spreading that disinformation :(

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christc ... cover-hold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_of_Life

http://www2.bpaonline.org/Emergencyprep ... -copp.html

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/triangle.asp

I lodged a claim for contents with EQC online. They sent back a form to fill out. It says you need to support anything with a replacement value over $100 with a quote / valuation. I'm getting all that info together before I send the form away. Only waiting for the quotes for our tanks now.

"To help with the speedy processing of your contents claim please complete the attached “Schedule of Contents” form. This should describe all the affected items. For each item please list the name, a description, its age and a replacement value and then give this to the Loss Adjustor when they visit the property. If your claim is for contents damage only then a loss adjuster will probably not visit so please forward the completed Schedule Of Contents to EQC at the address below, along with any valuations or quotes for the replacement of your damaged items."

dont chuck anything out unless its dangerous or perishable until you recieve the check from eqc as they had started to check things out for themselves after the boxing day quake to try and save money and catch out fraudsters , i think they will be too busy to do at the moment but its not worth the risk of having your claim downgraded. once you get the check go for your life as the claim is deemed as settled once the check is sent it will still take 1-2 months for you to get your check

HUGE THANK-YOU to Erica, Dena and Gareth, Debs and Tim for spending time here on Sunday...(in the rain and hail!)...doing water changes, tank cleans, removing broken glass, moving tanks around to set up new ones and generally helping me get a bit more sorted for the continuing influx of earthquake refugees :hail::hail:

Its made a huge difference and there are now 2 large females set up in Alans 5 ft tank in my conservatory. I worked out I've had 27 refugees since the quake :o:o

2 have gone to the coast, 1 to Waimate, 8 joined the mass exodus to Napier aquarium and theres 16 here.....at the moment....so far....

Does anyone have a heater I can borrow for my 4ft until I can save to get a new one? It was a 300W Aquaone and it just doesn't turn on anymore!

Not sure if I can claim for it 'cos it doesn't look broken. Maybe water pouring onto the multiboard (which still works) killed it?

Also, thanks heaps to ExoticReptilesNZ for the amazing care package. You would be amazed how just about every single thing in that care package became useful in the last 24 hours.

Yay, I'm glad it was useful. It was just extra stuff I had around the house. If anyone in Wellington wants to send any supplies down to Donna/Alan/Jennifer/anyone in need, let me know. I am back and forth between Wellington and Christchurch every week (After graduation I picked up some work in the insurance industry in order to pay the bills and am now running around like a headless chicken!). Anyways, I'd be glad to help transport reasonably-sized items if anyone's keen...

Yay, I'm glad it was useful. It was just extra stuff I had around the house. If anyone in Wellington wants to send any supplies down to Donna/Alan/Jennifer/anyone in need, let me know. I am back and forth between Wellington and Christchurch every week (After graduation I picked up some work in the insurance industry in order to pay the bills and am now running around like a headless chicken!). Anyways, I'd be glad to help transport reasonably-sized items if anyone's keen...

I still need some small size exo tera clamp lamps to replace the ones that fell in tanks and exploded if anyone can find them in Welly?? I tried to dry and re-use...but all started to fall apart :(

Just reading the stuff about insurance claims: please don't feel tempted to falisfy your claim to get more.

I knew a guy who claimed a few more cds were in his car when it got broken into than there actually were. He had a falling out with a guy who then told the insurance company. He now can't get insurance - house, contents, car etc. So not worth it.

I'm heading back down to ChCh on 17 April - I know its a few weeks away but keep me in mind if anyone needs anything brought down from here.

In the meantime I have a funeral in the next few days for our friend who was in the CTV building at the time. At least now the body has been identified the family can have some closure.

Just reading the stuff about insurance claims: please don't feel tempted to falisfy your claim to get more.

I knew a guy who claimed a few more cds were in his car when it got broken into than there actually were. He had a falling out with a guy who then told the insurance company. He now can't get insurance - house, contents, car etc. So not worth it.

In some cases they can and will prosecute for fraud as well, depends on the severity of the claim inflation etc.

Best to be upfront and honest with insurance companies... only claim for what is broke... because it could stuff up things in the future... not worth it in my opinion.

In the meantime I have a funeral in the next few days for our friend who was in the CTV building at the time. At least now the body has been identified the family can have some closure.

My condolances to all involved.