Ooohh... Earthquake

Zev

I was at work in the CBD at the time. Our buildings aren't in good shape. Big cracks in the road that are running right into my office. Had to wade through sewerage to get to a car.

The squashed bus really hit home to me. I saw it as we drove past. I believe it's the same bus I was on 5 hours earlier :o

I hope everyone on these forums, your friends and family are OK.

As for my home, I'm in Cashmere. Lost a 250L tank and about 100 fish. Managed to find my snowball pleco buried in gravel about 2 hours after and he's still alive. We did a quick cleanup, damage assessment, emptied all our tanks and went down to my parents in laws house in Oamaru with fish and our kitten in the back.

Our place smells really bad of sewerage under the house, lots of liquefaction, cracks in the walls.

I'm going to be looking for a job in Auckland over the next couple of days. It won't take much for my partner and I to just pack up all our stuff (it's on the floor anyway) and go. I won't be back at work for weeks and she's temping at the moment.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had the news about an hour ago that a good friend of ours was on the 4ft floor of the CTV building and hasn't been heard from since the quake. They are saying on TV that rescue efforts there have ceased as there can not possibly be any survivors. All we can do is hope and pray.

My heart goes out to anyone else in this situation.

ditto, extremely sad terrible news

I have some cousins in Chch that I've not had contact with for years, I've tried to find them via facebook and oldfriends but had no luck. If anyone down there knows Jean Kelly or her daughter Charlene(charlie)Kelly could they please PM me, thanks.

Have you put it on google person finder?

Has Elusivefish been accounted for?

It's a minor piece of happiness to know someone remembered me!

My immediate family are OK, but my parents house is gone for sure this time. Our house now has a hill in the hallway you need to climb to get to the bathroom. The place was absolutely ransacked, with the entire contents of our kitchen on the ground. Somehow my fish tank survived the shake, despite all my coral rock arrangement collapsing. I must have had 50L of water on the floor. All fish are/were alive, but we've since left Christchurch as apparently it will be days to weeks before we get power back. Drinkable water might be longer. I tried to call pet places to take my 6 marine fish, but i couldnt get hold of anyone and they probably have problems of their own. They will be no doubt deceased by the time I get back. I think this will be the end of fish keeping for me.

My business is damaged to an undetermined level at the moment. I barely avoided being hit by our commercial oven and an avalance of crockery. I gave away hundreds of dollars of milk and food today, as it will spoil in the next few days if I didnt find homes for it. I made sure the local firefighters were getting very well fed, as well as a backpackers hostel around the corner from my cafe.

If we can't open our business for a few weeks this could mean absolute financial ruin for me and the family. I may just have a possible out by taking a job for someone else... depending on whether their business is operable or not. But my family are safe, and that is the only thing that truely matters.

I hope all in Christchurch are well and that loved ones are all accounted for. I really don't know how the city is going to bounce back from this... broken houses, people and roads are going to be a ubiqitous sight for the next couple of years.

The supermarkets which are still currently running were absolutely packed today. I was called in and couldn't believe what I saw! Lines going down the road, people waiting to be let in. Same goes for the petrol stations! Never seen it as bad as this.

But it's great to see the support people are giving, and not only in Christchurch, but all over NZ.

I hope everyone has been able to get in touch with their loved ones, past couple of days have been terrifying. And there are still decent sized aftershocks happening frequently :(

I am going out to rescue more fish today. Please, if you or your animals need help, let me know. I have a number of people who are helping me organise shelter, transport, phones, water, food and evacuation of animals. We will come if you need it. Same goes for anyone you know who needs help.

I have a 50L tank here (Rolleston) someone is welcome to borrow. It is just in my shed, my tank smashed in the Sept EQ and thankfully now I hadn't replaced it. Was going to set the wee tank up but hadn't got that far yet, again thankfully now! I can get my husband to take it as far as Riccarton tomorrow or next week, otherwise someone would have to collect it I'm afraid. I'm not willing to bring my young baby into town just yet!

Does anybody want a hand with pets / jobs around the house etc. in chch? I'm keen to come down but so far the call for volunteers hasn't come in so if I can find somebody that needs something done I'll be there in a flash.

Also, I'm happy to take a few fish / cats / dogs / animals with me back to AKL for either temporary or permanent re-homing. I'm sure there are heaps of people up here with tank space and I have a few contacts for other animal rehousing.

Basically just offering any help at all to anybody that needs it.

cheers

dan

Does anybody want a hand with pets / jobs around the house etc. in chch? I'm keen to come down but so far the call for volunteers hasn't come in so if I can find somebody that needs something done I'll be there in a flash.

Also, I'm happy to take a few fish / cats / dogs / animals with me back to AKL for either temporary or permanent re-homing. I'm sure there are heaps of people up here with tank space and I have a few contacts for other animal rehousing.

cheers

dan

:hail:

For $50 each way i'd do it too, but school doesn't permit.

My economics teacher was saying that if he could, he'd pay to send our whole class down to help for a week. Only problem with that is getting the time off school.

Red Cross have said that people going down there to "help" would be a bad idea. They have professionals that are there working and are the best people for the job. Also you will be taking a bed and water that a victim will be needing

Absolutely, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be the hero here but I do have a couple of months off work so figure putting in manpower would be the least I could do. I've got friends in the SAR and Red Cross and have signed up for the student army etc. and will wait for the calls to come in for general man power. I just thought if there was anybody here looking for relief from overstocking of animals they'd taken in, or if they know of anybody with animals they can't look after, I would offer to bring them back with me.

My flatmates and I were a part of the student army today. We were out in Shirley shovelling liquefaction. Big job and a lot to do. We had 6 of us shovelling and 2 people on wheelbarrowing and it still took us around an hour to clear one driveway. Got up to ~20cm deep at the thickest. It's heavy, hard, and a smelly job but it feels good looking back on an area you've completed.

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/news/display-item.php?id=4338

Media coverage of hundreds of quake-hit tourists arriving in Wellington is causing problems for the 'processing centre' at Toi Poneke in Abel Smith Street. Large amounts of donated food, general goods and equipment has started arriving at the centre - and staff say that they can't handle the volume.

In the gentlest possible way, they ask generous Wellingtonians not to bring the material - but rather make cash donations to the various Christchurch earthquake appeals that have now opened. Staff wholeheartedly endorse this evening's comments by Civil Defence Minister John Carter.

Cash donations are the best way to support people affected by the 6.3 magnitude earthquake that hit Canterbury yesterday, Mr Carter says.

He says offers of support from donations of money are the quickest and easiest way to help organisations on the ground get exactly what they need. "That way, affected people can make their own choices about putting their lives back together. What's more, money spent locally helps the local economy at a crucial time," Mr Carter says. "If you have goods to offer, rather than cash, it will be some time before the logistics to handle this will be available.

Donations can be made through any of the below channels:

Red Cross - visit: Online Donation : http://www.redcross.org.nz/donate

Salvation Army: 0800 53 00 00 (Specify that your donation is for the 'Canterbury Earthquake Appeal')

Any ANZ Bank branch: Account number 01-1839-0188939-00

Any National Bank branch: Account number 06-0869-0548507-00

Any Westpac Bank branch: Account number 03-0207-0617331-00

Any ASB Bank branch: Account number 12-3205-0146808-00

Any BNZ Bank branch: Account number 02-0500-0982004-000

Any Kiwibank branch: Account number: 38-9009-0759479-00

Be sure you are not alone. Lots of people help you.

Hard to believe but before making any donation, especially on line, check it's a secure channel.

Some could try to take advantage of the situation.

cheers

dan

:hail: Thats very generous. I think most people are still in too much shock and distress to think very straight. Spend lots of time just dazed. Staring into space or crying. Lack of sleep doesnt help. I just noticed a really big bruise on side of my knee from being thrown to ground...didnt notice it till an hour ago...even tho its been really sore since the quake. Go figure :dunno: