Game meats

smidey

It was a little strong as the animals i got were young billies

Those are the ones you're supposed to eat(Young ones anyway), older ones are supposed to be too tough. Dunno, I'd try them too.

I've had all the normal non standard ones I think, deer, kangaroo, ostrich. Also had moose, musk ox and mountain lion. All were good.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while I was laying in bed yesterday I was thinking what else I did eat and I remembered some more 'game'...

- Fox (marinated in red wine / Switzerland)

- Snake (Taiwan)

- Moose (Milford Sound - yea right, na it was in Switzerland in a Restaurant with a 'finnish theme week')

- Roo and Crocodile (Australian Restaurant in Kopenhagen, Denmark)

- Emu (air dried, made the same way as the famous Swiss Bundner Fleisch)

and back in the days when we went to Yugoslavia for fly fishing we did eat cevapcici and mixed grill platter (who knows what was really in there but it was always delicious)

I'm not a big carnivore so my meat choices are bland: chicken, pork and lamb. I never buy beef steak unless I'm making some casserole thing out of it but steak is generally too "meatie" in taste for me to have as it is.

I've tried duck, turkey and goat etc. - just too "gamey" for my taste.

roos and wallabies are good, shrink a bit when cooking, crocodile is nice too, kinda like chicken and fish mixed,

all of our supermarkets do veal.

possum is nice but you gotta check them to make sure they clean to eat (look for white spots on the liver)

snake is nice.

frogs, rabbit, rat, guinea pigs, quail, pheasant, peacock.....

possum is nice but you gotta check them to make sure they clean to eat (look for white spots on the liver)

yeah and if you try them for the first time better go with a young female one...

...the male ones, the older they get the more they taste, let me say 'strange'

Veal and goat are on sale regularly, if not every week at Mt Roskill Aussie Butcher. I enjoy both. You can also get goat pieces with bone in for curry at many indian butchers such as Food For Less. They must have recently had a calf cull somewhere as there has been a lot of frozen veal for $4.99 per kg making it impossible for me to resist.

I'd like to try rabbit, but only ones I hadn't seen with fur on first :tears:

:sml1:

The truth is if you have ever eaten a chinese meal from a take away place you have probably tried cat. I remember one of the fish shops being closed down down here a couple years ago as they found skinned and gutted cats hanging up around the back where the owners lived, they claimed it was for personal use but who knows. I did find myself really liking their sweet and sour pork though.....

once again the joy of living in the other country of New Zealand. we dont see things like veal and goat in our supermarket, esepicaly in Nelson.In saying that they sell it for catfood but not for human food :facepalm: I got my can of spam today, $7 a can is hardly rubbish meat prices. I better taste like a mixture of T-bone steak and bbq spare ribs for that price

once again the joy of living in the other country of New Zealand. we dont see things like veal and goat in our supermarket, esepicaly in Nelson.In saying that they sell it for catfood but not for human food :facepalm: I got my can of spam today, $7 a can is hardly rubbish meat prices. I better taste like a mixture of T-bone steak and bbq spare ribs for that price

i bet it will taste alright, the ingredients are questionable.

yeah that's true but that doesn't count for the calf abundance at the moment and i doubt that the farmers have started to slaughter them yet before a decision is made what the compo is. 1500 calves is nothing in the total amount of calves born in NZ, my uncle has a small to average size farm which milks 180 cows and every one of them have to have a calf to start to produce milk. So that works out to be a little over 8 farms of his size which there are actually more than 8 that size in his district let alone northland or the rest of the country.

just did a search, in 2011 there were 4.5 million cows being milked in NZ so that means that many calves had to be born.