Game meats

smidey

Don't rule out twins

i suppose i should have said births or something similar but i'm sure we get the idea that 1500 calves is a small percentage (3.3%) of calves born in NZ. Thinking about it i visited a farm of 1500 cows in rakaia so there's one platform that produces that many by itself.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:sml1:

The truth is if you have ever eaten a chinese meal from a take away place you have probably tried cat. I remember one of the fish shops being closed down down here a couple years ago as they found skinned and gutted cats hanging up around the back where the owners lived, they claimed it was for personal use but who knows. I did find myself really liking their sweet and sour pork though.....

I don't think that's pork - I don't even think it can be classed as meat. It's an unidentifiable "thing" deep fried and covered in gunk.

Horse; good, would certainly eat it again

Rabbit; ok, depends how its cooked.

Phesant; lovely, just like a slightly "gamier" chicken.

Veal; lovely!

Venison; lovely!

Would really like to try wood pigeon, but mum would never let me when they flew into the windows when I was younger. I'd also like to try dog some time (probably in China!), actually I'd try just about anything once.

Random tidbit of info; Charles Darwin, as well as doing the Natural Selection thing, also founded a society for the tasting of animals unknown to the human palate...

"Depends how it's cooked" really covers almost all meats. If it's not prepared right, uses seasonings you don't like then you won't like it. I had musk ox burgers once that I didn't like. But I think it was probably the way it was seasoned. And I was a kid, since then I think I've come to like more strongly flavored food.

I have eaten rediculous amounts of various southern african game bucks, usually as biltong, but some in stews/roasted.

Warthog, giraffe, both as stew.

Guinea fowl, roasted on a fire like chicken, tasted very much like chicken. Hippopotamus done the same way, though was quite young and didn't appreciate it as much as i probably would have if i was older.

Various insects, termites, Mupane worms. Etc...

Yeah, used to make a habit of trying as many odd foods as possible, have slowed down lately, but I still won't say no to damn near anything...

There's probably more that I've forgotten...

"Veal is the meat of young cattle (calves), as opposed to beef from older cattle. Though veal can be produced from a calf of either sex and any breed, most veal comes from male calves (bull calves) of dairy cattle breeds.

There are five types of veal:

Bob veal, from calves that are slaughtered when only a few days old (at most 1 month old) up to 60 lb.[2]

Formula-fed (or "milk-fed") veal, from calves that are raised on a milk formula supplement. The meat colour is ivory or creamy pink, with a firm, fine, and velvety appearance. They are usually slaughtered when they reach 18–20 weeks of age (450-500 lb).[3]

Non-formula-fed ("red" or "grain-fed")[4] veal, from calves that are raised on grain, hay, or other solid food, in addition to milk. The meat is darker in colour, and some additional marbling and fat may be apparent. It is usually marketed as calf, rather than veal, at 22–26 weeks of age (650-700 lb).

Rose veal UK is from calves raised on farms in association with the UK RSPCA's Freedom Food programme. Its name comes from its pink colour, which is a result of the calves being slaughtered at around 35 weeks.[5]

Free-raised veal, The veal calves are raised in the pasture, and have unlimited access to mother’s milk and pasture grasses. They are not administered hormones or antibiotics. These conditions replicate those used to raise authentic pasture-raised veal. The meat is a rich pink color. Free-raised veal are typically lower in fat than other veal.[citation needed] Calves are slaughtered at about 24 weeks of age."

From wikipedia

!drool: turkey.........

About the most wild that I have eaten is rattlesnake. Used to have that every summer as a kid just from shooting ones under our deck. I got a 14 button one once. 8)

what does snake taste like? is it dependant on what they have recently eaten?