Dispose of unwanted fish in trash? World issues solved here!

GrahamC

yep, its about time Auckland had its roading infrastructure dragged out of the 80's, instead of having the large portion of tax it pays being distributed to pay for roads around the country. Anyone who believes Auckland is propped up by the rest of the country is pretty naive, the bulk of Aucklands roads are on average far busier than your average small town or rural road, and subsequently generate more revenue in the form of fuel taxes and RUC.

Have you ever driven on any roads in the South Island, if you think Aucklands roads are in need of all this government spending I hate to think what era you would class our roads as. Also why do you think it is fair that because Aucklands roads are busier they deserve more money spent on them from taxes that the whole country has to pay? What a joke, the average NZ tax payer will never once drive on one of these roads that Aucklanders seem to think deserve upgrading on a constant basis. I for one am sick of paying extra at the pump so you guys can drive on better designed and maintained roads. I say we split New Zealand into 2 separate states and we keep out taxes for our own infrastructure.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How completely and utterly ignorant.

Auckland has 1/4 of the nations population

Auckland gets 1/4 of the funding generated by taxes.

(roughly)

What is so hard to understand ?

I've never understood this whole - auckland // south island thing.

I always thought we were all New Zealanders / kiwis.

Logic? How many cars do you see weaving through traffic?

It is a rare occasion to NOT see a motorbike overtake.

Relativly often, its called over taking. I dont say that moter bikes riders are notwith out there faults, but why should they pay extra on rego, when they damage the road less and in most case's if they are in an accident it will be involving a car?

should there be a fee for chch pedistrians, being that there is more of them killed in the country than anywere else?

I say we split New Zealand into 2 separate states and we keep out taxes for our own infrastructure.

Agreed, Auckland and the rest of the country. ohh wait that already happens with basicly everything already

How completely and utterly ignorant.

Auckland has 1/4 of the nations population

Auckland gets 1/4 of the roading funds allocated for projects

(roughly)

I've never understood this whole - auckland // south island thing.

If Auckland has 1/4 of the population and only receives 1/4 of roading budgets why can't they pay for their own roads then?, it's your choice to live in Auckland. Does not explain why we should all have to pay the same amount of tax towards your infrastructure. Of course you would not understand the whole Auckland/Rest of NZ thing, your biased as you live there. I bet if you lived in any of the other smaller towns for a while your way of thinking would change very, very quickly.

Put it this way, my street in Invercargill is in serious need for an upgrade as it is full of pot holes and nearly non-existent road markings like the majority of Southland roads yet the government has only budgeted a very small amount of money for Invercargills infrastructure since as long as I actually cared yet Southland produces over 5% of NZ gdp with only roughly 1.5% of the population. Please explain how that is fair?

If we were all "New Zealanders/kiwis" would we not ridicul Maori, pacific islanders and asians with New Zealand decent? Would we accept the fact that Maori, English and sign language are the three national languges in this country, would we not only have Maori tv, but also white person tv, bermese tv and fiji tv?

sorry very :smot: on the current topic, but I get really annoyed with the whole one nation one country rubbish and that comment brought it up for me

Of course you would not understand the whole Auckland/Rest of NZ thing, your biased as you live there. I bet if you lived in any of the other smaller towns for a while your way of thinking would change very, very quickly.

I was born north of kerikeri on a farm, and lived there until I was 25 years old.

Another fine point made there, evil.

Do you think aucklanders drive around on perfect roads or something ?

If we were all "New Zealanders/kiwis" would we not ridicul Maori, pacific islanders and asians with New Zealand decent? Would we accept the fact that Maori, English and sign language are the three national languges in this country, would we not only have Maori tv, but also white person tv, bermese tv and fiji tv?

sorry very :smot: on the current topic, but I get really annoyed with the whole one nation one country rubbish and that comment brought it up for me

:facepalm: What on earth are you on about ?

I don't care what colour/creed someone is. If they live here they're kiwis.

Oh and what was that stuff about languages ? Are you saying that people who move here can't use their own language and must use one of the three official languages ?

I really don't get what the language thing is about

I was born north of kerikeri on a farm, and lived there until I was 25 years old.

Another fine point made there, evil.

Do you think aucklanders drive around on perfect roads or something ?

I stand corrected, and no I never once said your roads are perfect, I would hope not with the constant amount of money that is spent on them.

No matter what happens the majority of the rest of NZ feels this way as this is what the media constantly portrays. There will always be Auckland and the "Rest of NZ"

I would also like to add none of this is meant to be personally insulting as I have many friends and family that live in the Auckland region and they like you feel the same about it. Not to mention the great people from Auckland who have helped me out on this website.

I agree, nothing personal meant here - enjoying the discussion to be honest :sml2:

It's nice to hear from the other side of the coin -

When you think one way it's hard to figure out why people think differently about the same situation :thup:

Oh and what was that stuff about languages ? Are you saying that people who move here can't use their own language and must use one of the three official languages ?

I really don't get what the language thing is about

What I am refering to is that there is 3 languages classed as offical in NZ, but why for example when the national anthem is sung is it only done in two? Its a form of discrimination. Much the same as motercyclists paying extra on there rego, just another form of discrimination that doesnt affect the dominant discourse so its purely just sweeped under matt and not looked at as in issue

I think what you are all forgetting is that the money is being spent on more and more bigger annd bigger roads at a bigger and bigger budget so that more and more people can drive cars with only the driver in them. What the place needs is a better public transport system so people don't need to drive cars in the city. This is what sensible cities have done overseas and it works.

I think what you are all forgetting is that the money is being spent on more and more bigger annd bigger roads at a bigger and bigger budget so that more and more people can drive cars with only the driver in them. What the place needs is a better public transport system so people don't need to drive cars in the city. This is what sensible cities have done overseas and it works.

I completely agree, I wouldn't mind half as much if it was actually used for that sort of infrastructure.

We have just returned from a road trip around the South Island. We had people from all around the country, plus some Aussies and others born in Europe. They all loved the South Island roads, especially the North Islanders, simply because of the lack of traffic allowed them to travel long distances at the 100km speed limit!

We did not dispose of any fish during this time - except for those that came pan fried or battered with chips.

Have you ever driven on any roads in the South Island, if you think Aucklands roads are in need of all this government spending I hate to think what era you would class our roads as.

Yes I have done a bit of driving in the South Island, as well as around rural northland (which makes the south islands roads look flash!) as well as living in Auckland for the past six years, which probably puts me in a far less-biased and better informed position on this subject than someone living about as far away from our biggest city as possible....

If you think potholes are a problem try taking spending several hours trying to travel a short distance because a minor incident (say roadworks on one lane or someone with a flat tire) has slowed traffic to a stand-still, and thats not even at peak time.....

What I am refering to is that there is 3 languages classed as offical in NZ, but why for example when the national anthem is sung is it only done in two? Its a form of discrimination.

Talks that have an unknown content .. I can understand using sign language. But the national anthem? Actually I'd prefer that they ditch all anthems, flags, patches and other tribal paraphernalia ...

Invercargills infrastructure since as long as I actually cared yet Southland produces over 5% of NZ gdp with only roughly 1.5% of the population. Please explain how that is fair?

Hmm. Didn't know that. Bluff oysters? Or aluminium?

I can understand using sign language. But the national anthem?

well its hardly fair if deaf people are unable to take in the pride and the joy of our national song just because they are hearing impeard.

Actually I'd prefer that they ditch all anthems, flags, patches and other tribal paraphernalia ...

And why is that?