Dispose of unwanted fish in trash? World issues solved here!

GrahamC

Beware of a government that encourages you to salute the flag and sing the national anthem---they are probably thinking of sending your kids to war. The only reason we are kiwis (some of us) is that this is where our mother was when she gave birth. If she had been in Sri Lanka we would be Sri Lankans. The only reason we are pakeha, maori, chinese or whatever is the genes of our parents. It all had nothing to do with us so what is there to be proud or ashamed of. It is a bit like saying " I am so very proud of having browm eyes."

And to get back off the subject---if you want bad roads come to Christchurch, and we have already sent the invoice to Auckland cos thats where the money is.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how would you fix this? :slfg:

Simple a box at the bottom of the screen with someone signing the anthem, or even the words written at the bottom.

Beware of a government that encourages you to salute the flag and sing the national anthem

When has ours encouraged this?

The only reason we are kiwis (some of us) is that this is where our mother was when she gave birth.

Are you forgeting the immigrints who have adopted this country as there onw and refer to themseves as New Zealanders?

The only reason we are pakeha, maori, chinese or whatever is the genes of our parents.

It also has something to do with what you belive in, your upbrining and your culture. there is plenty of white folk that refer to themselves at Maori without any Maori blood in them, same as there is plenty of Maori with very little blood from other gene pools in them that classify themselves not as Maori but with white heritage.

you have all the right that you want, its your personal decision after all and short of paying taxes, eating, drinking and breathing there is nothing else that you have to do no matter who tells you diffrent.

I beleive the past is the past and its there for a reason, but i think the feelings or proud and ashamed come from present and future circumstances and situation not previous ones.

All be it I do see where you are coming from

I hold a different view. To me, anthems, uniforms, patches, bibles etc are all poor substitutes for individual thinking. They have their roots in pre-scientific communities as forms of mind control. Without them, no one would be chucking unwanted pets on the rubbish heap, and we'd have world peace :)

PS: You're not in primary school now!

I got hit on the head with a torch by an usherette in the picture theatre for not standing up for God save the queen---not in to royalty from an early age as well. I was threatened with 7 years in Ardmore military prison (as it was then) for refusing to sign alegience to the royal family during my wee stint at CMT.

I got hit on the head with a torch by an usherette in the picture theatre for not standing up for God save the queen---not in to royalty from an early age as well. I was threatened with 7 years in Ardmore military prison (as it was then) for refusing to sign alegience to the royal family during my wee stint at CMT.

We had to in primary school

I was more refering to this millenium

Hehe. I sat in the back row at the Saturday matinees ( pre-TV era ), and so no one could complain if I didn't stand for the anthem!

I never had to from my memory, you are only a year older then me. In saying that you would of had the option of not singing but what child has enough power to say no to a teacher. That and you have the choice of what school you go to, or even go to school so if your parents were not happy with that they could of removed you from that school where you wouldnt have to sing

And the problem with that is? It gets paid for so I don't know why this is important? Also that is just Tiwai, not the whole of Southland.

If Tiwai is part of Southland, then the whole of Southland consumes more than 15% of NZ electricity production. But the region is only producing 5% of GDP. Perhaps if Tiwai didn't get such cheap power, cheaper power could be used by Auckland to boost productivity, and the increased profits could then fund the upgrades to roading in Southland. (j/k)

Simple a box at the bottom of the screen with someone signing the anthem, or even the words written at the bottom.

Then you're discriminating against the blind (if they happen to be deaf as well).

It's a simple case of knowing where you draw the line. We write all our directions, signs, etc in English. Writing them all in three languages would just be messy.

Patriotism is a devotion to one's country

the killing depends on the ethics of the patriot

/agree.

I have friends and sympathy for deaf people but I am a bit prejudiced about brail on roadsigns so blind people can drive easier.

That's why they put in the plastic alerts in the side of the road. The ones that go tick tick tick tick against your tyres.

Fascinating thread!

Bit of a summary of what has been discussed thus far:

- Disposal of live unwanted fish

- Animal cruelty regarding fish we eat

- NZ Roads - country wide

- Languages of NZ

- Turning NZ into three states

- What is a NZer?

- National anthems, flags, patriotism

- Southlands GDP versus power used and population present.

I may have missed some :o

Mods.... no need to move this thread, it is definatley in the right place... off topic is perfect :slfg:

So my contribution to keep it all going...

If you make NZ three states.... South Island, North Island, and Auckland... what do you do with Northland? :digH: