Dispose of unwanted fish in trash? World issues solved here!

GrahamC

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An even better idea would be to update the rules. I don't see no reason why we cannot discus politics etc. and still do not understand why a post is not allowed to "intend to create a reaction" when by their very nature that is what forums are for.

things can get heated sometimes so rules are there for occasions when needed :wink:

I think as long as it's on the offtopic forum (which cannot be seen if you log out :o ) it's fine....

Your in Pakistan? Bet you the internet is cheaper and probably more reliable then what is available to us right?

Anyone seen those "Hungary has cheaper internet than us" adds?

I'm waiting for this thread to mention the high NZ dollar, and the dairy industry vs the forestry industry

IMO kiwi's pay WAY too much for just about everything.

I'm currently paying monthly in power what would be my 3 monthly bill in queensland from a coal fired power plant.

you can't tell me that our power costs more than 3 times as much to produce

Regardless of which side you support, calling the other side complete idiots will never go down well. disgustipated, Have you ever worked with people under the influence of pot?

not calling them idiots, just stating a fact. i've worked with stoned people, and drunk people too. neither are good to work with, that's why generally you're not allowed to work drunk. so to back up my statement, anybody that can justify why alcohol is legal and pot is not, is obviously basing their argument on a completely uneducated opinion, hence "idiots"

i've worked with stoned people, and drunk people too. neither are good to work with, that's why generally you're not allowed to work drunk. so to back up my statement, anybody that can justify why alcohol is legal and pot is not, is obviously basing their argument on a completely uneducated opinion, hence "idiots"

Your first sentence backs up the argument why it isn't legal [and shouldn't be]; it impairs ability to do many things [such as driving, operating machinery etc] and can't be tested for impairment of as can be with alcohol. We haven't yet figured out how to manage alcohol consumption so the responsible drinkers aren't penalised for the trouble-making bingers, so why would we release another harmful drug into the system to be abused? There are many indicators that heavy use can lead to various mental health issues, reduce learning ability and numerous other long-term health issues. Yes there are also positives from consumption for certain people, but until someone figures out a way to prevent a nation of people with a binge-culture (just look at our alcohol consumption and obesity statistics) then decriminalising or legalising would not be a good thing for NZ.

So why alcohol is legal and not pot? History would probably be a big factor. We've grown up with it for generations now, and trying to ban it would simply never work, too many people enjoy it responsibly. And that is a key difference between alcohol and pot; you can enjoy a drink with out getting drunk, but the sole purpose for smoking is to get wasted. Would anyone smoke pot just for the taste if it didn't get them high? Unlikely. Yet huge numbers of people enjoy a glass of wine, a craft beer or a quality whisky simply for the taste and not for the buzz it gives them. The two aren't even really comparable IMO.

Just my uneducated idiot opinion.... :wink:

So should drinking to excess then become illegal?

That is the crux of the issue, how do you prevent harmful binge drinking without a complete ban on alcohol? Bars can't legally serve drunk people (although we all know that is treated as a joke!), and as Alan suggested there are many merits to the idea of having "public drunkenness" an arrestable offence (don't think it is currently illegal here, but I believe it was once, not 100% sure). And the same goes for if you were to legalise/decriminalise marijuana; how do you prevent the wave of braindead stoners that are would potentially emerge if it were legal to go home and have a couple of cones after work every night? Obviously there is no magic cure, but the lack of a solution isn't justification for making it legal.

how do you prevent the wave of braindead stoners that are would potentially emerge if it were legal to go home and have a couple of cones after work every night?

How do they prevent that now? Almost 50% of males aged 18-24 in 1998 admitted to using cannabis within the last 12 months, I bet that number has only gone up. I believe that intoxication isn't an issue, the issue is when that intoxication causes harm. I've seen the effects excess alcohol has on people, vomiting, fighting, crazy emotions etc and people die from drinking too much. Whereas people using cannabis will rarely vomit, will almost never fight, hell it's pretty much the opposite of alcohol. You'd think the lesser of two evils would be encouraged. Legalising won't increase use significantly, the people who wish to use cannabis will continue doing so. The law would just change their criminal status.

How do they prevent that now? Almost 50% of males aged 18-24 in 1998 admitted to using cannabis within the last 12 months, I bet that number has only gone up. I believe that intoxication isn't an issue, the issue is when that intoxication causes harm. I've seen the effects excess alcohol has on people, vomiting, fighting, crazy emotions etc and people die from drinking too much. Whereas people using cannabis will rarely vomit, will almost never fight, hell it's pretty much the opposite of alcohol. You'd think the lesser of two evils would be encouraged. Legalising won't increase use significantly, the people who wish to use cannabis will continue doing so. The law would just change their criminal status.

Sam, I see where you are coming from with this, but like David mentioned earlier, History plays a big part of it. Alcohol has been legal long enough for the general public to demand it. IF used responsibly, it poses no harm to the user or those around the user.

You won't be able to convince them that since POT is better for them, they should switch.