June 14, 201115 yr comment_440183 Jeepers. I think 2 discus (snakeskin x blue turq) will die, but im absolutely amazed that the other fish (plecos included!) will be ok. They were all upside down at one stage! I think ill wait for the weekend before I mess around any more! Discus are in my 63L at the moment. So I'm guessing co2 overdose but how much did the PH swing? 1 point? 2 points? Report
June 14, 201115 yr comment_440185 Was a 5 or so :facepalm: So that's about 2 points, and I imagine once the acid overcame the buffer the swing would have taken a few minutes. Report
June 14, 201115 yr comment_440192 I don't see why people feel the need to blast the tank with co2 :facepalm: Just start off adding a little bit and increase it every few days/week untill its all sweet. I would also look at getting a controller to switch it off once it gets to a certain ph, also have to watch out your not depleting the tank of oxygen. Report
June 14, 201115 yr comment_440196 It was only trickling along when I set it up. Ill just have to experiment on the weekend after my exam. Report
June 14, 201115 yr comment_440199 I would also look at getting a controller to switch it off once it gets to a certain ph, also have to watch out your not depleting the tank of oxygen. A pH controller is probably a good idea, but they cost a lot and aren't actually necessary for a CO2 system. If the CO2 and lighting are adequate and the plants are photosynthesizing, then there is no need to worry about oxygen levels becoming depleted as the plants will be giving off heaps of oxygen. And the CO2 gets turned off when the lights are turned off, so then there is plenty of oxygen still in the water for the night. Report
June 14, 201115 yr comment_440214 Was a 5 or so :facepalm: So that's about 2 points, and I imagine once the acid overcame the buffer the swing would have taken a few minutes. Ooooo nasty! Thankfully I've always mucked around with my co2, either DIY or pressurised, so now my fish just expect some sort of craziness Actually I wonder what my swing is now that I'm turning it on for the lights only - must test that. Report
June 14, 201115 yr comment_440269 This may be true but you guys have crepes and tarte tatin. Ok, ok... I take my hat off to you... you're right But you have THIS ! (37 miramar avenue - Wellington) To drool over this is totally recommended. :smln: Report
June 14, 201115 yr comment_440310 It was only trickling along when I set it up. Ill just have to experiment on the weekend after my exam. What was your kh before the crash? Report
June 14, 201115 yr comment_440311 Big hands or small frog? :lol: Very nice! :slfg: Big hands obviously. Indeed, I'm totally blue and I definitely prefer pterodactyls to cars How did you guess Sam ?... Dammit ! My accent for sure... Report
June 17, 201115 yr comment_440868 cleaned out the lounge tank. Had to chip some aqua kneed it off the bottom glass and ended up going through the silicone with a chisel (I know, I know) so got to play with more silicone sealing it up. I'm getting quite skilled with it these days. I'm going to paint the back and one end black (and maybe the bottom) and put black sand on the bottom with black rock formations. For plants I'm thinking some twisted val and dwarf hairgrass only. It'll be stocked with a breeding pair of cockatoos (until they start killing everything in the tank again), some cardinals and maybe a little school (6-10) of sterbai cory. I hope the fish colours really pop against the black as I've found they really wash out with a white substrate. Either way - this tank is going to be lightly stocked and (hopefully) only require the smallest amount of maintenance over and above small daily water changes. on another note - what the hell were those flashes in the sky over auckland about 3 minutes ago? It was far too organised to be lightening. Might have been something at eden park but there were 7 definite flashes that lit up the whole sky. Report
June 17, 201115 yr comment_440870 were they firing up the big screens at Eden Park perhaps, or maybe they switched them on and they blew the fuse that feeds the whole of Sandringham :sml2: I like your black tank idea, the fish should look good. All my fish have been washed out over lighter substrate. It might not be so good to paint one of the sides unless it's one you don't plan to look through. Since I covered 3 sides of my cory tank with polystyrene I have found it very frustrating that I can only see in the front and through the top. :an!gry :lol: Once you get some decent coverage with the twisted val against the sides that will probably be enough. Just a thought anyway, I like to snoop on my fish. Report
June 17, 201115 yr comment_440893 I figured it might have been some big pyro pots for a stage show at eden park perhaps? Either way it was damn bright. The tank sits in a corner so it's really the back and end that are both on walls anyway. It's a weird tank to look into the end of as it's long and thin at 1200x250x250. Report
June 17, 201115 yr comment_440927 Nearly gave myself a heart attack playing lets dance 2 on wii with my two very fit children. :sage: Report
June 17, 201115 yr comment_440953 lol Picking some (organic) raspberries in my garden. @ : I've been told those fruits are excellent for the cardiovascular system Report
June 17, 201115 yr comment_440977 the leaves are supposed to be good for 'womanly issues' too.... they have a lot of iron Report
June 17, 201115 yr comment_440991 Ok, I must be getting old, or just super unfit due to the lack of exercise after my op in March. But I can hardly move today I am so stiff and guess what my kids are playing now ..... Yip you got it lets dance 2 Wish I had their energy and fitness levels and muscles :slfg: Report
June 17, 201115 yr Author comment_441001 Poor McRudd Just doing some vacuuming and mopping this morning, will likely wash the car later. Cha-ching 8) Report
June 17, 201115 yr comment_441008 It is cold and wet here today. I am working on the August edition of the Aquarium World magazine. Report
June 18, 201115 yr comment_441030 I'm looking forward to it Caryl I know how much time and effort you put into the magazines and they are always an excellent read I noticed a bit of cottony stuff on my male macmasteri's right pectoral fin yesterday, so I put in some Wunder Tonic, did a 85% waterchange this morning, and put in a whole lot of Tonic Salt and the fish are all happy :thup: My moss is all blue though from that blasted Wunder stuff :tears: My precious, lovely moss... Report
June 18, 201115 yr comment_441031 Thanks for the praise Joe. I wonder if the moss will stay blue or if it will slowly go back to green over time. I suspect it will. Nothing wrong with blue moss! Report
June 18, 201115 yr comment_441039 The blueness should go away shortly. It isn't really blue, but it has a blue tinge to it from the methlyene blue in the tonic. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.