SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

!drool: :happy1:

How much did that cost you? Are you renting it or did you buy for keeps?

It's mine. I just got it re-certed and then filled up. Total cost was $80.

Bought the cylinder off a member from here. I have all the other bits and pieces, and am just waiting on the arrival of my regulator now.

I might upgrade my lights soon too.

It's mine. I just got it re-certed and then filled up. Total cost was $80.

Bought the cylinder off a member from here. I have all the other bits and pieces, and am just waiting on the arrival of my regulator now.

How much did that all cost?

I might upgrade my lights soon too.

What's wrong with the T5HO?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious lol :P

Could you please post links to all the sites that you got stuff off? I want to do pressurized CO2 on a 20L nano. I was thinking of using the Fluval Mini 88gram set but if I can get all the bits seperately and get a much larger bottle that's refilable then I'll be much better off than I will with the Fluval System because it costs $36 for a replacemnt 88gram cartridge.

Oh and while I'm talking about nanos I need your expert advice - for the lighting I want to get either 2x 8w T5 PowerGlos or a 27w 8,000K (or 6,700K if that's better) CF. What would you reccommend? Or is there anything else that you would go for other than those two options? The tank is going to be 360x220x260mm (ADA Mini-M) :P

Are you going to replace all the tubes with Plant Pros? You're going to have a very purple tank! :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/CO2-regulator-solenoid-magetic-valve-control-/250621512666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5a34cbda - That's all I got.

Up here it costs about $50-60 to certify and attach the correct nozzle onto a CO2 fire extinguisher or other suitable CO2 bottle.

They had brand new 5kg Cylinders for sale @$295 each. The company's name is National Gas; so maybe you have a branch relatively local to you.

It costs $7/kg for CO2 when you refill a cylinder, so the Fluval CO2 devices are not worth it in my opinion.

The $200 you are going to spend on the Fluval kit can be spent on a smaller CO2 fire-extinguisher. Once it's certed, it'll be cheaper to run and will cost you less.

The only thing that will cost more is the regulator + solenoid (linked above). That's about NZD $100 over what ever else you spend.

I have an in test 2KG co2 fire extinguisher spare if anybody wants to buy one. $60 +shipping if required (it's currently empty).

It will just need an adapter for the extinguisher to regulator but at a gas place they cost next to nothing.

In other news - drove to Hamilton and got more cockatoos today. They're awesome. It seems I didn't really think this one through though so they're going in a holding tank for a few weeks while I sort everything out and chose the final stock list for each tank.

Yep I'll take it. If you can hang on to it for a bit then I'll get back to you as I currently don't have enough cash but I should do in about a week or so.

P44 do you think 2kg will be fine for the 20L tank?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CO2-regulator-solenoid-magetic-valve-control-/250621512666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5a34cbda - That's all I got.

Up here it costs about $50-60 to certify and attach the correct nozzle onto a CO2 fire extinguisher or other suitable CO2 bottle.

They had brand new 5kg Cylinders for sale @$295 each. The company's name is National Gas; so maybe you have a branch relatively local to you.

It costs $7/kg for CO2 when you refill a cylinder, so the Fluval CO2 devices are not worth it in my opinion.

The $200 you are going to spend on the Fluval kit can be spent on a smaller CO2 fire-extinguisher. Once it's certed, it'll be cheaper to run and will cost you less.

The only thing that will cost more is the regulator + solenoid (linked above). That's about NZD $100 over what ever else you spend.

Sounds groovy :P

Just wondered what is a needle valve? I've heard of them before in CO2 systems but you heven't mentioned it. Is it important at all and what is it's function?

Are you planning on having your CO2 on a timer? What sort of timer thingy will I need because I want mine on a timer, especially since it's for a nano tank so I don't want any fluctuations which I'll have if I have to turn it on manually.

Can you post a link please to a nice timer thingy?

How does the timer work? Does it attch to the regulator or does the CO2 line attach to it and then continues into the tank?

I have been looking at other regulators, and I found some really cool ones that have a needle valve in them.

GLA II CO2 Regulator

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-regulators/gla-2-co2-regulator.html

Nature Beast CO2 Regulator

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-regulators/nature-beast-regulator.html

How do they compare to the one in the link that you posted?

Cool then I'll get one of those ones from GLA :D

So does the timer just plug in to the CO2? How exactly does it work? Does the regulator have a little computer thingy in it so when the timer turns the electricity on/off the CO2 automatically turns on/shuts off?

Google it for now Joe. I intend to do a write up of how to assemble the whole lot together (with some help I'm hoping) and also send Caryl an article. :slfg:

I shall take pictures and do a step by step guide when I get the whole lot.

Stink I just realised that I can't get any of those GLA regulators because the power frequency in the USA is different to that in NZ; USA is 60hertz and NZ is 30hertz. I'll have to try and find something in NZ that has the right frequency.

P44 since this is from the USA would it have the wrong frequency? If it does, how would you overcome this problem?

Frequency doesn't matter.

My dad works at a sawmill and he said that any equipment that was imported that was the wrong frequency didn't work too well or something...

So you think that those GLA ones will still be alright or not?