Storm

Lucid

My sister is in the far north and her power is off - probably going to be a while before it comes back on.

In Auckland it's rainy & windy but nothing out of the ordinary so far. I have spare blankets on standby in case the power goes out & I need to insulate my tank.

Just came off the mount maunganui beach, 3 diehards were surfing

sand being blown hard enough to sting my legs and face

had trouble standing up in the wind

waves up past the high tide mark

i was there looking for puffer fish washed up, didn't stay long

soaked to skin in about 4 mins

Damn, just went to for a drive to the lfs, and it was shut. Most of lincoln rd is without power. Petrol stations etc are all closed. Hope the fishies are ok. Lots of idiots on the roads, aswell as the traffic lights are out in places. Didn't see any of our keen policemen/women directing traffic though, infact I drove for half an hour and didnt even see one at all.

Maybe they're drinking hot coffee and eating warm donuts somewhere. jk.

Didn't see any of our keen policemen/women directing traffic though, infact I drove for half an hour and didnt even see one at all.

They are no doubt having tea and biscuits :wink:

I hope everyone is tucked up safe and keeping warm 8) Seems the wind is picking up here, wonder if it is on it's way :-?

I've been trying to secure greenhouse roofs and our top fence at work. Done about as much as we can, just hope nothing too serious happens.

I went and hired a generator because my parents in Whangarei have been without power for most of the day, and for $50 for the weekend its a cheap piece of mind.

Silly question for those with generators or other power back-ups; how do you know when the power goes off if you're asleep??? I just thought unless I stay up all night the power could go off at midnight and I wouldn't know about it for 7-8 hours (depending on how late I sleep in)...

Silly question for those with generators or other power back-ups; how do you know when the power goes off if you're asleep???

As i discovered a couple of weeks ago when our power goes off our house alarm signals a long beep every few minutes, enough to wake you up, gives me a bit of peace of mind knowing i'll at leawt wake upt o checko n the fishies in a power cut

Damn, just went to for a drive to the lfs, and it was shut. Most of lincoln rd is without power. Petrol stations etc are all closed. Hope the fishies are ok. Lots of idiots on the roads, aswell as the traffic lights are out in places. Didn't see any of our keen policemen/women directing traffic though, infact I drove for half an hour and didnt even see one at all.

Maybe they're drinking hot coffee and eating warm donuts somewhere. jk.

Theres traffic officers on the harbour bridge aplenty I gather and around Tamaki Drive. Came back from tennis this afternoon and in the couple of hours I was playing the wind trebled in strength.

Silly question for those with generators or other power back-ups; how do you know when the power goes off if you're asleep??? I just thought unless I stay up all night the power could go off at midnight and I wouldn't know about it for 7-8 hours (depending on how late I sleep in)...

I usually wake up and wonder for a few minutes what is wrong, then realise it's too quiet.

I'm just glad it's happening on a weekend. I live in Auckland and work on the Shore so I commute over the bridge by motorbike every day. So far I've never had a problem (even when the signs say "Strong winds - no motorbikes") but I think I would be pushing my luck on a day like today.

I did feel the back wheel skip out from underneath me the other day when it was wet and windy and I rode over a cat's eye near the top of the bridge. I thought the bike and I were going over the edge for a moment there! But we recovered and made it home.

Adds to the excitement of one's working day :lol: