markoshark

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, a bunch of photos from Tiritiri Matangi Island

(http://www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz/)

History:

In Auckland's past was used as grazing for sheep & cattle, native forest mostly gone. Has been revegitated with mostly natives, and is now a bird and reptile sanctuary (I believe there are 6 Tuatara on the Island). Is "pest free", aka no Rodents, cats, mustelids, or Possums. 40 minute boat ride from Auckland.

DSCF1772.jpg

Takahe. Believed to be extinct until.. Uh.. Fairly recently. 3? breeding pairs on the island, two chicks and a lonely male...

DSCF1749.jpg

Takahe on the beach. Public landing is allowed.

DSCF1782.jpg

Whitehead with "lunch"

DSCF1826.jpg

Redcap Parakeet in Flax.

DSCF1835.jpg

Picture showing the revegetation. Notice the straight lines...

DSCF1824.jpg

I believe from the northen end of the island

DSCF1862.jpg

Saddleback

DSCF1872.jpg

Kokako

lol I could take some pics of the 20 odd cockatoos that fly around our place or the many rosella but they not really native just make a hell of a noise! also kukabara live around us its sooooo crazy

Heh, "Not really native." They're not native, no not really about it.:P Even worse...They're Australian!

Oh my...you are all so very lucky to live in a place where such beauty seems commonplace. :bow:

The photos look like postcards!

If I drive a few blocks out of my neighborhood, there are restaurants, convenience stores, and hookers.... :-? Thank you all..more please.. These two are cool & different, what are they? Is that a GIANT cricket? :o

n1077341663_21590_295.jpg

n1077341663_21596_1520.jpg

If I drive a few blocks out of my neighborhood, there are restaurants, convenience stores, and hookers.... :-?

Don't worry, its the same here (Auckland), if I drive 10 minutes down the road there's gangs, tagging, and liquor store owners getting shot for no reason. I'm sure there's plenty of places in florida that are just as attractive as NZ, every country has its beautiful spots...

DSCF0749.jpg

Uh. Huia Falls - Napier Taupo Highway.

Horrible, wet, misty day, it had been snowing that night further up...

a waterfall for waterfaller :hail:

Haha..my favorite thank you! :) Hans, what kind of reptile is that? Very cool.

David, you are right I guess. We have Disney..if we want to pretend we are someplace else.. :lol: