Photos of NZ

markoshark

I love Kiwis, always have done... The reason why they cant fly (and Kakapo cant fly) is they have evolved in an ecosystem free of mammalian predators, and have adapted to a niche where flight was not necessary

And it should have stayed that way :evil:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies, you did stick up for them. 8) Our state bird is a mockingbird. Sure, it might have been cool to have a blue heron, or a bald eagle, but hey..I wasn't the one who was in charge of choosing it. Except for mosquitoes, roaches, and fleas, I can't really say anything bad about any creature on this earth. :lol:

So did I! I think they are a great national bird!

I should not have said Bald Eagle..it is our national bird. :oops: We get lots of different birds passing through here in Florida, as it's warm when parts of the country are very cold. We do have some wild and wicked bugs. One looks like a bright yellow stick..if it spits in your eye it can cause blindness. :o

Heck, at least over here we don't have to have eyes in the back of our head avoiding lethal critters like you guys over there... would love to see a pic of the spitting little yellow stick critter.... :lol: It sounds almost like a stick insect maybe but a poisonous one?

I will have to do some research. In the 70's{yes I am that old} I lived in Lake county, which at that time was unpopulated, and still semi-wild. I lived on 1,000 acres. We had a friends' little boy out, and I remember this thing being jet black & school bus yellow. Long, yes, like a walking stick type bug. It spit in the boy's eye, and we had to rush him to the hospital. The blindness was temporary, or they gave him some sort of anecdote.

We are lucky in NZ. Well, kindof.

We don't have any native predatory creatures (barring the Falcon), and due to our seperation from the rest of the world, our creatures have grown to fill nieches.

1m long worms anyone.. heh...

Unfortunately due to their uniqueness and removal from predators, everything has a very, very, very slow repoductive period :/

I think the only poisionous "bug" we have natively is the Katipo spider.

I thought Harrier Hawk was also native to both NZ and Oz, referred to as Australasian Harrier? I thought they were called Kahu here..? We have heaps of them around here... they are stunning and once out at my inlaws property in the country I managed to witness one hunting for live food, however not ground level prey.. flying prey... It flew right into a tree branch full of leaves full force and came out holding a minor bird, it was amazing to watch :hail: The sound was amazing and leaves just flew everywhere off the tree..