Photos of NZ

markoshark

I'm a patroitic kiwi and proud of it :P

Vinson, Don't suppose you were at Punakaike at high tide?

Being there with a bit of a storm on, is bloody awesome with the surge coming through the blowholes, and feeling the ground runbling beneath your feet.

We went there when there was a bit of a southerly, was awesome :P

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. It was a spur of the moment decision to go. We hit low tide. It would have been a wicked high tide show though, the swells were solid.
my father lives at barrytown its a good beach to collect greestone also a bit further past puni there is fox river they have markets there from time to time some of the baches there are on the monteiths ad on tv its a nice place to pick up stones there is also a rock i have found only there its kind of like that omaru stone soft and easily carvable (probably more so than omaru stone) but it comes in white pink and black and mixtures!!!! ask some of the locals or go to the all nations hotel ask for rusty he will show u some

Well I guess if neither of you like our national icon then you could always buzz off over to some other country and appreciate theirs instead 8) :lol:

I think we should think ourselves lucky that we still have the kiwi to appreciate and nurture... and I would have thought this was thread was to share and appreciate pictures etc of the creatures that we have here in NZ instead of picking holes... :roll:

Not liking the Kiwi is hardly cause for shifting country.

But why didn't they chose something fantastic like the White Keron, Kea Kokako or the Tui?

Who ever it was picking the national icon got it half right with the silver fern frond. That is a particularly nice and aesthetic thing in real life.

At the very least the Kiwi makes a great logo for the military. The mighty kiwi military will run around in the dark striking fear into the enemies hearts as they eat a couple bugs then get devoured by a mouse.

At the very least the Kiwi makes a great logo for the military. The mighty kiwi military will run around in the dark striking fear into the enemies hearts as they eat a couple bugs then get devoured by a mouse.

:lol:

I reckon the kiwi is a good choice for a national bird, because it is very distinct shape. When you see a silhouette of a kiwi there is no question what it is. There is no argument that tui and kokako are more beautiful birds but they have no distinct shape to them, sure they have obvious markings, wattle, etc which distinguish them from other birds, but no other bird is the same shape as a kiwi. So you can draw a stylised kiwi in one swift movement

321888829.jpg and everyone knows what it is. :)

I would never have thought you would be hating on the poor little kiwi so much. :( I grew up looking at them, they were on a can of shoe shine I believe . I think they look cool, and unique.All of the animals that share your country are. They must serve a purpose, and may be a link to the past...when there was a reason for this bird not to have a need to fly. I think you should reconsider. At a time where so much of our natural ecology is so threatened, be glad you live in a place where it is still very natural. At least from what you have shown me here, it would appear so. Long live the kiwi! Let's hear from a kiwi lover...there has to be someone... :)

I love them but then I think I may have made that clear somewhat earlier :oops: I took a bit of offense that one of our special birds was being picked to bits a little 8)

Seeing one in the flesh is so amazing compared to seeing one in a picture, their feathers are coarse and look like fur more so. The sound of them is beautiful... they have strong legs... very sturdy robust bird really 8)

My apologies, you did stick up for them. 8) Our state bird is a mockingbird. Sure, it might have been cool to have a blue heron, or a bald eagle, but hey..I wasn't the one who was in charge of choosing it. Except for mosquitoes, roaches, and fleas, I can't really say anything bad about any creature on this earth. :lol:

Now... a bald eagle would be nice 8) They are one beautiful looking bird.. you are lucky to have them over there :)

We do have rather a few nice birds here in NZ.. and can see your point over the pesky roaches.... I could do with some of the american cockroaches over here tho, lizard would love them :lol: