euthanasia, How can i euthanise a fish.

ctsniper86

I have a convict chiclid in my tank and he is reeking havock all over.

I have tried to give him away, but no one round these parts wants him and I don't have anywhere else to put him.

I really want to be humane with him/her but it just has to go.

Whats a humane way to kill it?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read that fish dont have pain receptors but yea whack its head with a hammer dont smash it though it may get messy if you do

just imagine how bad it would be if you were locked in the freezer personally id perfer to be knocked out

or find someone with a big carnivore and give it to them as food

The best way is to use Oil of Cloves. It's kind and they don't suffer, and it's not grusome like whaking the fish (!?)

This method is from Goldfish Connection:

Pure clove oil can be purchased in a drug store, health food store and sometimes even a grocery store. In fact we had so many request for Oil of Cloves we now offer it on our Goldfish Connection store.

Fill a half gallon container or smaller with tank water, add your sick goldfish. Half fill a small jar with tank water, add one full teaspoon of clove oil and shake well until the water turns white. Add the clove water to the container with your goldfish. Your goldfish should stop breathing and appear dead within minutes. If he doesn't, add more of the oil of cloves. Keep your goldfish in the solution for ten minutes, then place him in a baggie or food container and put him in your freezer. Note: the AVMA recommends 10 times the anesthetic dose, which is 5 drops per gallon for Oil of Cloves, a teaspoon full is many times this amount.

Method Two: Baking Soda (carbon dioxide)

If you don't have pure oil of gloves available and the pH of your water is between 6.5 and 8.5 you can use Baking Soda.

Fill a half gallon container or smaller with tank water, add 4 ounces of baking soda, mix well until all the baking soda is dissolved and add your sick goldfish. The baking soda added to the water produces unconsciousness by increasing the carbon dioxide. Wait ten minutes after r espiration stops. Then place your goldfish in a baggie or food container and put him in your freezer.

Everyone has their own ideas which is the most humane method, I prefer the Oil of Cloves.

I know it's not easy to have to make the decision to put your goldfish to sleep, especially after you become attached to them. But after all the loving care you have given them and they still are very sick and you know they are suffering, the time must come when you must relieve them from their pain.

The important thing is that you don't blame yourself for their death. You did your best and sometimes that's just not good enough to cure a terminal health problem.

Good luck!

Yea I agree with a quick hit over the head.

I did some research about the freezer method and found that it is an excruciating death where ice crystals form in the blood stream. Doesn't sound too humane to me?

I am afraid to admit that this was how I use to do it but not after reading that! :o

Yeah I vote for hitting it hard on the head, I grew up on a trout farm and that’s how we dealt to them, sometimes they quiver after but they aren't alive, its just their nerves firing...

It’s by far the most humane way as people have said. Reason being their brain is pretty basic and all positioned along the top of the head, a decent belt to it will take them out REALLY fast and they will hardly feel a thing – it’s not like they have a large complex brain and thick skull like us to get through so they really don't feel it coming.

Saying that I would of course find it hard to do i to a pet fish! :S

Good luck

Yea I agree with a quick hit over the head.

I did some research about the freezer method and found that it is an excruciating death where ice crystals form in the blood stream. Doesn't sound too humane to me?

I am afraid to admit that this was how I use to do it but not after reading that! :o

For tropical fish...Well, that's kind of like worrying about how much it hurts a dead person to be cremated. They're dead hours before they freeze.

you cant compare fish to humans they react in different ways, most animals just shut down peacefully when they get too cold

humans do that too, we dont know that it hurts the animals as they cant tell us! clove oil in an ice cream container or bucket best i reckon