euthanasia, How can i euthanise a fish.

ctsniper86

Well done for doing what you had to do to end their suffering, Caper.

I've already cried buckets over poor little Flossie and she's still alive! I do hope I don't have to euthanise her, but if I do, it's going to be quick and painless.

What type of fish is Flossie?

Caper/Kelsta - another way to euthinise a fish without the tears is to pay somebody else to do it, anyone not in to fish would do it for a dollar, then you can just focus on something else, get your mind off it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flossie is a fantil goldfish - my first one! My husband and I have got 3 more since then but she is my special little baby.

You're right about someone not really caring being better off doing it - might try to enlist someone like that if it comes down to it!

I am definately with the hiff on the concrete method... Hmm I remember watching a doco on people who were stuck in the snow... like freezing temps... and one person was dying and apparently he was in alot of pain freezing to death before he passed, there was nothing peaceful about it... so pass.. concrete method is the way to go.. keeps my mind at ease to know that the fish died instantly.

I am definately with the hiff on the concrete method... Hmm I remember watching a doco on people who were stuck in the snow... like freezing temps... and one person was dying and apparently he was in alot of pain freezing to death before he passed, there was nothing peaceful about it... so pass.. concrete method is the way to go.. keeps my mind at ease to know that the fish died instantly.

Actually there were a lot of nasty experiments done during World War II to do with airmen landing in the North Sea, freezing, being re-heated etc, and some other ones done elsewhere to do with rapid excess heat - the conclusions from both were the same - temperature related death is incredibly painful, a lot slower than it appears, and althogether barbaric as it involves massive stimulation of just about every nerve ending in a body BEFORE it affects the brain / heart etc and actually kills. Massive physical trauma (being squashed) is much faster because it destroys vital organs instanantly and is likely a whole lot less painful. Think about it from the fish's point of view, not your own.

???

Afrikan was against freezing fish for that very reason.

???

Although please remember humans are mammals, fish aren't, so our bodies don't slow down for a lot longer as we manually control our temperature. Its very different.

I dont beleive in freezing either but not being a mammal is worth pointing out there. The fish may well be too far gone to feel the pain.

I agree whenever ive had to euthanise its either been a quick bash to the head or a knife, however they have all been smaller fish and i don't know what id do if it was a large fish though..

Hold the fish flat aginst the ground with one hand, and using a sharp short knife (vegitable knives work quite well), stab it at the back of the head about where the lateral line begins - the goal being to sever the spinal chord at the base of the skull. You will feel it if you hit it - if you don't, do it again until you do, Alfred Hitchcock style.

yeah i know the methodology for killing them its the psychological problems i would have... small fish like neons i don't have the same attachemnt for as something like a discus etc :D

Yea, they are harder :-? PS - I learned to do it on a wharf on Stewart Island in front of a couple of fishermen who were rolling around laughing holding back the tears as they watched the silly townie trying to kill his fish (a big Blue Cod)

Just close your eyes, you feel so much better :lol: We recently put down two discus :-? , not really too much different, just the size and a bigger fish to dispose of. I just had to make sure my 4 year old was busy looking at the birchirs in the fish shed while the deed was done, not something a kid would enjoy, or then there is the idea that "mummys orandas might like a bounce" :lol:

I cover the fish with newspaper and hit it with something hard, usually the poker from the fireplace, then look and make sure its dead and throw it into the fireplace afterwards.

I hate doing it, but I also hate watching a fish dying slowly while getting picked on by other fish in the tank, sometimes if I think it is going to survive I will leave it, but sometimes I think I am fooling myself cos its not easy to put a fish out of its misery and have to euthanise it anyway.

I have cried many times while having to do this, but I do think its the best way.