Jump to content

Caryl

Financial Members
  • Posts

    23833
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Caryl

  1. Swim bladder and constipation are two different problems, although a swim bladder problem may cause constipation. Some fish, especially fancy goldfish with compressed bodies, are prone to swim bladder problems and sometimes nothing can be done. In a lot of cases it does not seem to bother the fish, as long as it can get to food. If it a recently developed problem than I guess we can discount a genetic cause. Fluctuations in temperature can also be a trigger as can a tumour of an organ near the swim bladder organ. Parasitic or bacterial infections are two other possibilities. Often diet is the cause. What are you feeding? Try offering live foods only for a few days and see if that helps. Make sure the diet is varied. You could also try dried food that has been soaked in medicinal paraffin oil, glycerol or castor oil.
  2. We were watching it live via satellite. It was unbelievable see the tsunami take everything in its path! The quake itself has done a lot less damage than the tsunami.
  3. If all advice is given via PM's then nobody else gets the benefit of the knowledge, and that is what this site is about - sharing the knowledge.
  4. My big, long established tank, I feed once a week or so. The other tanks get daily or every 2nd day.
  5. Hi and welcome. If you have unlimited access to a money vault then you will be able to import as many fish as you like (as long sa they are on the allowable list) Have you checked what it will cost you, or do you have an importer ready and able to help?
  6. I thought baby tears was Bacopa sp? Is there more than one plant with that common name?
  7. Perhaps someone will announce they have written an article about the club's tank crawl for the AW? :-?
  8. A note to all FNZAS members. If you move house, and do not send me a redirection, and your magazine gets sent back to me with "address unknown" "Gone, no address" or "PO Box closed" etc I am not following up on it. Since the 4 addressees, whose magazines have come back this time, have not complained their magazine did not arrive they were obviously not reading it anyway. :roll: Another note to club secretaries/treasurers - it is now time subs were being gathered. Please double check all the information you have for each member is up to date and correct. Please also do not leave it all until the last minute!!!
  9. Welcome Craig. Good to hear the whole family will get involved in the hobby. It is good for everyone.
  10. I think that is the same stuff I am thinking about smidey.
  11. The advantage of the gaps is to reduce turbulence and wind load. With a solid fence you are more likely to get more damage to your garden, and a very dried out lawn. If you do not need a fast fix, what about planting a fast growing hedge in front? I don't think the foam stuff would stay put. Afix thin slats in the gaps. We attached that brush stuff to our fence. It comes in sheets (rolled up) of brushwood wired into panels.
  12. What is the fence made from? What size are the gaps?
  13. I walk, or bike, everywhere. Opening car doors are the biggest hazard as far as I am concerned and I always watch all parked cars as I approach.
  14. I agree with the others, there is more than a tank to worry about in a quake. Just look at that poor baby killed by a falling TV
  15. My aunt just texted saying "That was a big one!" NZ Daylight Time Saturday, March 5 2011 at 7:34 pm Latitude, Longitude 43.57°S, 172.73°E Focal Depth 11 km Richter magnitude 4.8 Region Canterbury Location Within 5 km of Lyttelton 10 km north of Diamond Harbour 10 km south-east of Christchurch
  16. They got a cheque for the stuff damaged (flat screen TV, computer monitor, carpets cleaned after tank mess) but are waiting for the house itself to be assessed. There are definite slopes in places there were none before :-?
  17. No need to do that. Just stop telling people you have entered Some can guess some fish owners anyway.
  18. The competition is supposed to be anonymous entries Joe :-?
  19. I believe this is the key point. I do not think it fair to blame mum for not wanting you to disturb the whole household because you had been too lazy to do it when you should. Joe is lucky to have parents as lenient as they are to allow him to do the things he already does.
  20. My son is still waiting to be assessed after the Sept quake :-?
  21. My lotus' big leaves always go like that. I just chop them off.
  22. There you go then, as spoon says, in a really big quake it doesn't matter what you do :tears:
  23. Locked at tHEcONCH's request since it no longer exists
×
×
  • Create New...