Where do I get a fish tank resealed?

midge

Tonight my 3 ft tank burst. I need to get it fixed asap as my fish are in a much smaller tank now. Might seem like a silly question but where do you go to get them siliconed? I am in Wanganui but can easily travel to Palmerston North : ) Its not something I can do as I can't do it neat enough.

i miss wanganui, my hometown.

if i were you i would call around all the glass places you can find locally, tell them specifically what you need done. i think that most glaziers have probably done aquarium work before and would be able to repair a tank for a reasonable price, since you don't need any more glass. and they will likely come to you.

however if they sound like they don't know what you're talking about, or don't seem to know what they're doing, don't risk it.

give these guys a try http://centralglass.co.nz/

• 3 weeks later...

omg :facepalm: go to mitre 10 buy the tube of sealant (aquarium safe) its about $20

get a paint scraper or sharp knife scrape off all the silicone you can see on all the joins for that pane of glass

pull off the pane of glass

put silicone on the joins after cleaning it with a least a rag to insure all old silicone is off

place the bit of glass on the silicone you have put on the joins insure there are no bubbles or thin spots (you will see them when you look through the glass at the joint)

put a book on it to apply pressure to it while it cures

wipe excess silicone off with your finger

insure there is a bit extra silicone where old silicone meets new silicone in corners

leave it like that till next day

come back cut a nice line where there is spread of silicone on the glass too far from the area you have siliconed with a craft knife scrape that extra silicone you got all over the place off with the pain scraper

let it cure for another 6 days or how long it says on the tube (usually 7 days)

and its done!

its not hard in the slightest and all you could lose is $20 and a couple of days

any problems pm me ill give you my number and you can call me

• 2 months later...
I have been making my own tanks for over 40 years and never had one leak or burst. The RTV does deteriorate over time though.

what is RTV? sorry haha is that the sealent? I have seen so many ppl with tanks without the bracing parts on the top too !