The What's Up? thread.

SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got hay fever and have had it since 21 July, the usual drugs don't work so I got the hay fever shot on Monday and so far it hasn't worked.

I'm sick of coughing, I'm sick of blowing my nose and I'm sick of being deaf in my right ear (as it's blocked up) :an!gry

Anyone else get hay fever and found anything that works for them??

I have it on and off for most months of the year. It just arrived one day and never left.

The best drug for me when it's bad is a combo of fexofenadine 180g and flixonase spray.

Flixonase brings a real feeling of relief but can give a funny taste in your mouth after a couple of days.

This year I got away with cetirizine just whenever I felt like it, and flixonase when I was super sneezy or itchy.

*I've used the name of the medicine rather than the brand name as there are a lot of different ones that are the same thing. I even made a spreadsheet comparison of the names, brands and prices one day when I was sick of getting ripped off at the chemist.

as an absolute fluke a friend got his ear pierced at the top of the lobe on his left ear and his allergies and hay fever went away. Turns out the piercer hit the exact spot an acupuncturist would put a needle in to treat these things. Once he took it out a few years later he started getting reactions again. Might be a long shot but it could work for you too.

It certainly pays to know the drug name rather than the brand name as they are usually cheaper to buy by prescription (you pay for the script but you get a bigger supply).

For instance Claratyne, which is heavily advertised during the hay fever season, is loratadine. You can get a 3 month supply of loratadine from your GP (fees for these vary) which is cheaper than the 30 or so they sell in a packet under the brand name.

Grant uses loratadine all year around and usually needs 2 or 3 hay fever injections between August and Feb. Sometimes they work instantly and sometimes they don't :dunno:

One year I could only fexofenadine. The next year I got away with Loratidine and Cetirizine didn't work. Cetirizine is working sort of. Flixonase (not the proper name) is still the best but nasal spray gets up my nose after using it for too long. Haven't tried Alanase.

Loratidine, Cetirizine and Flixonase are all available on prescription but not the fexofenadine. That one is usually known as Telfast but there is cheaper version called Fexofast. Only some chemists stock the alternate brands.

I get it once a year in June/July only - no idea what triggers it at that time of year as I don't get it in the traditional months.

I've come to learn that the drugs simply don't work (nor the injection) so think I just have to wait it out until it passes which is very frustrating.

The ear piercing thing is interesting - though the acupressure points for the head is located around the lobe, not the top of the ear so it's rather odd it worked for your friend in that area.

At the last house I never used to get it in winter but since moving I noticed a large bush at the neighbour's place that is covered in yellow bottle brush type flowers, and the pond has pollen floating on it. So I think probably that is setting me off. Hopefully it doesn't flower for long.

Can't sleep because I'm so angry. Been doing a renovation for my mum and sister which has required hundreds of hours of drawing plans and dealing with council. For months I have been fighting council over an existing deck over a roof that was previously consented, but council deny it was because they have lost the records. After all my efforts i finally got to the last hurdle and all was looking well. The other week my mother decided she wanted it done faster than I could manage by myself so I was replaced by a crew of builders run by a family friend. Today he started work. Within 3 hours he had torn up the deck, guaranteeing that it all had to be rebuilt as the building code has changed drastically in the 20 years since it was built and you can't replace it the way it was done. This requires replacing the entire roof and probably the framing as well (probably going to cost about $20k). All because he decided that in the brief time he had been in site he knew more than someone (a qualified builder for almost 10 years) who had been living in the house for 9 months and spent countless hours investigating every flaw that needed fixing.

For the sake of a 5 minute phone call the job will now take longer and cost significantly more. And that's just the first day.

Please note the lack of expletives in this post, I think it warrants recognition

The lack of the norties is noted and you are thanked for your self control. I have just received a quote to build what is virtually a lined and insulated shed to breed reptiles in and with all the rubbish going down here after the quakes the quote was about twice what I thought so it will not be happening for a long while yet. I felt the same way. The consent fees are out of this world and they wanted full engineering investigations and report plus PC sums on a lot more just in case.

As an aside, there was a great looking two story house with a "widows watch" type external stairway a few houses from us that has been demolished in the last few weeks because of quake damage. The locality is changing all the time and some great houses are going. We are still here and the house next door was built around 1860 and will remain.

Hope your mother's project turns out OK.