February 24, 201115 yr comment_423263 i meet many people that keep fish, and i find that some will give each fish their own name, and refer to them by it.. but then there are folks that just keep fish without naming them, referring to them by their breed.. kinda impersonal if you ask me.. what you have named your fish, and what kind of fish are they? Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_423264 I don't call them anything, when people ask what "that" fish is i say, "oh thats a cardinal tetra" etc etc, like when you talk about cars, its not like it has a name as such, its just what it is. Report
February 24, 201115 yr Author comment_423266 i have.... 4" jack dempsey named fritter (because he acts like one) 2" convict named duncan (named after the guy that gave me my first fish) 3" bristlenose named london (he got his head stuck in a bridge ornament) 1" jack dempsey named dot (smallest fritter) 2" bully called uncle (self explanatory) 10" pleco named barry (because he looks like a barry) 3" goldfish named nemo (my 5yo daughter named that one, how original) 4" fantail named manky (because it is) and my favourite, a 12" oscar named oscar (named after the grouch on sesame st - don't give me stick about naming him after his breed, i didn't actually know he was an oscar fish when i named him!!) i just got myself a 4" tiger oscar who is yet to be named (i will name him once i get a good feel for his personality...) your turn! Report
February 24, 201115 yr Author comment_423269 I don't call them anything, when people ask what "that" fish is i say, "oh thats a cardinal tetra" etc etc, like when you talk about cars, its not like it has a name as such, its just what it is. i think that's fair enough if you have tetras or lots of small fish.. i do have a tank full of 50 or so guppies, i named them all bob. can't expect anyone to keep track of the individual names for a big school of fish.... Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_423271 The only fish i would ever name would be a clown fish called nemo... lol I want to start up a marine tank sometime this year and thats one of the fishes i want to have. Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_423289 I used to name my fish, but ever since a heater mailfunction and monster, baby, lady, angel and valentine got cooked I just can't name them. It seems to hurt less if I don't name them and they die. But there is the occasional one that creeps into my heart. I have one guppy her name is miracle. She was found weeks after I got rid of all the guppies in my tank when I did a filter clean up. She was amongst many of her dead siblings so hence the name miracle. I have my big girl she is my biggest bristlenose female and then My big boy, you guessed its my big bristlenose boy. I also call her and him my "meisiekind" and my "seuntjie" which is just the afrikaans for girl and boy Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_423291 You will find more here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2090&hilit=fish+names Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_423302 its a bit hard when you have multiple fishes that look the same Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_423303 Many call all their fish "Bob" Solves a lot of problems and identity crises :lol: Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_423321 1, 2, 3, 4..... Red fish, blue fish, silly fish, dead fish, feeder fish.... Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_423333 i meet many people that keep fish, and i find that some will give each fish their own name, and refer to them by it.. but then there are folks that just keep fish without naming them, referring to them by their breed.. kinda impersonal if you ask me.. what you have named your fish, and what kind of fish are they? I had a pink fairy basslet named Floyd, 2 clownfish named Penny and Wise, 2 puffers named H&R Pufnstuff, a lawnmower blenny named Fugly. Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_423336 a lot but not all of my fish are named.. just makes it easier to refer to them ,.. rather than "the red tuxedo with the golden body not the gray body" or whatever. "slim shady" is easier than saying the kuhli with the inverted V marking. lol.. some of the strangest names come from my daughter. Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_423337 I have a friend who likes to name my fish. Every time he comes he picks names. They only really last with my fighters lol Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_423340 ive only names one, and that was a CT fighter due to a young toddler said that it looks like a hedgehog. hence why our pets name for the animates card is 'hedgehog fish' i think that fish should only be named if they get to about a foot in length. any smaller and it seems kinda pointless Report
February 25, 201115 yr comment_423377 my critters get names if they do something different or are recognisable from the others. Big Daddy was the name that transferred from the biggest male killifish to the next biggest but the female was always The Female (probably some psychological reason but I'm not going there ). My shrimps are The Bigger one and The Smaller one. One of my fry who has a hump back (or did) is called Runty. I had a bristlenose called Fonz. The otos I had were collectively called The Sharkies, Sharky 1 and 2. Report
February 25, 201115 yr Author comment_423414 I had a bristlenose called Fonz. damn that is a cool name for a fish! Report
February 25, 201115 yr comment_423460 Only one of my fish is named - Stanley, the torrent fish. The inanga are refereed to as 'those greedy ' but the rest don't really get a name. Report
February 26, 201115 yr comment_423544 I am of both types I believe. I have guppies and platys that I haven't named. (go figure lol) but have named Demon - Red Siamese Fighter Rayo Azul (Spanish for Blue Lightning) - Blue Siamese Fighter Angel - Grey with white fin tip female fighter Badger - Silver with green fins female fighter Hannya (Japanese mask for jealous female demon) - Grey and Red Siamese female fighter Sakura (Cherry Blossom) - Whitish Red/pink Siamese female fighter Wednesday - Darkish Grey Siamese female fighter Katana - Dwarf Chain Loach Tanto - Dwarf Chain loach Report
March 4, 201115 yr comment_424375 my clown knife is called Ba'al because, if you catch him in the right light, his eyes glow my son named his angel Anubis (unfortunately he passed away a few weeks ago and his replacement hasn't been named yet) the axy is named Kree we also have 2 cats called Loki and Thor so, 10 points to the person who can guess where we got the names from :lol: Report
March 4, 201115 yr comment_424378 so, 10 points to the person who can guess where we got the names from :lol: It sounds like all the God's from the movie Percy and the lighning thief, I am suprised there is no Madusa :lol: Report
March 4, 201115 yr comment_424385 Those are Egyptian gods I think. I know for sure that none of them are Greek, and Percy Jackson is about Greek gods. By the way, I though the movie was pathetic; the books are way better !drool: Report
March 4, 201115 yr comment_424401 they actually sound like STARGATE names. I used to watch that and loved it. Te'alc was my fav character. Report
March 4, 201115 yr comment_424405 so, 10 points to the person who can guess where we got the names from :lol: Ba'al - Jewish Anubis - Egyptian Kree - Fictional Loki - Norse Thor - Norse Report
March 4, 201115 yr comment_424408 Ba'al - Jewish Anubis - Egyptian Kree - Fictional Loki - Norse Thor - Norse Beat me to it If Ba'al was Baal it'd be a whole new story though! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.