naming your fish.

disgustipated

i meet many people that keep fish, and i find that some will give each fish their own name, and refer to them by it.. but then there are folks that just keep fish without naming them, referring to them by their breed.. kinda impersonal if you ask me.. ;)

what you have named your fish, and what kind of fish are they?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have....

4" jack dempsey named fritter (because he acts like one)

2" convict named duncan (named after the guy that gave me my first fish)

3" bristlenose named london (he got his head stuck in a bridge ornament)

1" jack dempsey named dot (smallest fritter)

2" bully called uncle (self explanatory)

10" pleco named barry (because he looks like a barry)

3" goldfish named nemo (my 5yo daughter named that one, how original)

4" fantail named manky (because it is)

and my favourite, a 12" oscar named oscar (named after the grouch on sesame st - don't give me stick about naming him after his breed, i didn't actually know he was an oscar fish when i named him!!)

i just got myself a 4" tiger oscar who is yet to be named (i will name him once i get a good feel for his personality...)

your turn!

I don't call them anything, when people ask what "that" fish is i say, "oh thats a cardinal tetra" etc etc, like when you talk about cars, its not like it has a name as such, its just what it is.

i think that's fair enough if you have tetras or lots of small fish.. i do have a tank full of 50 or so guppies, i named them all bob. can't expect anyone to keep track of the individual names for a big school of fish....

I used to name my fish, but ever since a heater mailfunction and monster, baby, lady, angel and valentine got cooked I just can't name them. It seems to hurt less if I don't name them and they die. But there is the occasional one that creeps into my heart. I have one guppy her name is miracle. She was found weeks after I got rid of all the guppies in my tank when I did a filter clean up. She was amongst many of her dead siblings so hence the name miracle. I have my big girl she is my biggest bristlenose female and then My big boy, you guessed its my big bristlenose boy. I also call her and him my "meisiekind" and my "seuntjie" which is just the afrikaans for girl and boy :wink:

i meet many people that keep fish, and i find that some will give each fish their own name, and refer to them by it.. but then there are folks that just keep fish without naming them, referring to them by their breed.. kinda impersonal if you ask me.. ;)

what you have named your fish, and what kind of fish are they?

I had a pink fairy basslet named Floyd, 2 clownfish named Penny and Wise, 2 puffers named H&R Pufnstuff, a lawnmower blenny named Fugly.

a lot but not all of my fish are named.. just makes it easier to refer to them ,.. rather than "the red tuxedo with the golden body not the gray body" or whatever.

"slim shady" is easier than saying the kuhli with the inverted V marking.

lol.. some of the strangest names come from my daughter.

ive only names one, and that was a CT fighter due to a young toddler said that it looks like a hedgehog.

hence why our pets name for the animates card is 'hedgehog fish'

i think that fish should only be named if they get to about a foot in length. any smaller and it seems kinda pointless

my critters get names if they do something different or are recognisable from the others. Big Daddy was the name that transferred from the biggest male killifish to the next biggest but the female was always The Female (probably some psychological reason but I'm not going there :o ). My shrimps are The Bigger one and The Smaller one. One of my fry who has a hump back (or did) is called Runty.

I had a bristlenose called Fonz. The otos I had were collectively called The Sharkies, Sharky 1 and 2.

I am of both types I believe.

I have guppies and platys that I haven't named. (go figure lol)

but have named

Demon - Red Siamese Fighter

Rayo Azul (Spanish for Blue Lightning) - Blue Siamese Fighter

Angel - Grey with white fin tip female fighter

Badger - Silver with green fins female fighter

Hannya (Japanese mask for jealous female demon) - Grey and Red Siamese female fighter

Sakura (Cherry Blossom) - Whitish Red/pink Siamese female fighter

Wednesday - Darkish Grey Siamese female fighter

Katana - Dwarf Chain Loach

Tanto - Dwarf Chain loach

my clown knife is called Ba'al because, if you catch him in the right light, his eyes glow

my son named his angel Anubis (unfortunately he passed away a few weeks ago and his replacement hasn't been named yet)

the axy is named Kree

we also have 2 cats called Loki and Thor

so, 10 points to the person who can guess where we got the names from :lol: