May 10, 200818 yr comment_233980 I was thinking of setting up an aviary in our back garden. I don't know if it is even possible though. I always had birds as a child, usually a budgie or two, but we don't really have space inside our house for a good sized cage and my husband isn't keen anyway. What sort of aviary would I need for a Wellington garden? I am supposing I would need one with nesting boxes for the birds to keep out of the cold in winter. Or does it get too cold/windy in Wellington for an aviary? What types of birds can be kept together? I guess I am thinking the bird version of a community tank! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Report
May 10, 200818 yr comment_233993 Hi my husband and i use to breed birds,a great hobby.It would depend how big you wanted to go.One of those little sheds is a cheap way to get started,and just add the flight area.You can have cockitels budgies canarys ground birds.Love birds are nice,and you can put toys in for them,great to watch and lot of colour,but can pick on smaller birds when breeding.Or you can buy one of the one you can move around.You can have them in Wellington just make sure they are sheltered Report
May 10, 200818 yr comment_233994 And mske sure however you house them is rodent proof. Mice waste can have a bacteria that can harm ground birds ,like quail, and if they get into feeders they dirty the seed . Report
May 10, 200818 yr comment_233997 I've just sold the two I had up here. The only problems I ever had was that with one of them, when the wind really got up it tipped it a couple of times and all the birds got out and the other one was the mice loved it all year round. Would just dig in under and used to catch them rolling the quail eggs out. So as in the above advice, watch the wind and mice! Report
May 10, 200818 yr comment_234000 Another thing to watch for is rats tunneling their way in, I know of someone recently who lost a whole aviary full of beautiful british budgies to rats.... plucked them off overnight... :evil: Report
May 10, 200818 yr comment_234021 I once lost 23 racing pigeons to a pet ferret "that wouldnt harm a thing" Arround $5000 to $10000 worth of birds and a breeding program that was over 10 years of work. Ferrets kill for fun and when I killed this ferret, the people reconed they would sue me. My lawyer wrote to them asking for $15,000 in recompence and they moved out the following day. What Im saying is make sure that the wire and cage are totally pest proof from rodents through to dogs Report
May 10, 200818 yr comment_234022 My lawyer wrote to them asking for $15,000 in recompence and they moved out the following day. lovebirds can be pitbulls with other birds in a small aviary ie: species only tank Report
May 10, 200818 yr comment_234025 lovebirds can be pitbulls with other birds in a small aviary ie: species only tank Had totally forgotten about that... A bite worst than a great white Report
May 11, 200818 yr comment_234065 General rule is not to have straight beaks mixed together with hook beaks, but in saying that we have bourkes and canaries together with no problems, and I know others who do too. Maybe you could try budgies with a couple of cockatiels, a couple of bourkes and maybe some chinese quail for the floor? That would give you a nice mix Report
May 12, 200818 yr Author comment_234337 Well I think I will have to start small as I don't have the biggest section, but I was looking at this one... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 701317.htm and wondering if it was a good starting out aviary or is there something else I should be looking for? Report
May 12, 200818 yr comment_234393 I used to have nine avieries which I built and after making a few mistakes concluded that the best netting is the 1/4 inch sq Made in China stuff because it keeps out mice and keeps in baby Chinese quail. As advised they need to be vermin proof or they are a total disaster. I have only ever kept hook beaks and soft bills seperately. Even quail get a hard time with hook beaks often (particularly love birds) Report
May 12, 200818 yr comment_234394 It is pretty small but you could use that as a shelter and build a decent flight to it. Report
May 13, 200818 yr Author comment_234429 I think I'll wait for something larger. Thanks for all your advice Report
May 14, 200818 yr comment_234745 Hiya, I think it's a great idea to get an aviary! Wellington is fine for most birds. Our work aviary is 5m x 2m, with a hut at one end and double-door (escape-proof) at the other. We've got just cockatiels and lovebirds in it. They have been breeding too. Another hint is to mix pine needles in with your bedding, litter or nest boxes. They contain something that deters mites. Report
May 14, 200818 yr comment_234770 Not much deters mice when they are hungry other than mouse proofing. Report
May 31, 200818 yr Author comment_238965 Ooooooooooh I have bought a small aviary (I only have a small garden) on TM... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =158235750 What should I put in it? I'm thinking a couple of blue rams, a nice school of cardinals or tetras and some peppered corys. Oh wait, wrong thread. :lol: Ok so it has been a long day. Report
May 31, 200818 yr comment_238973 Ooooooooooh I have bought a small aviary (I only have a small garden) on TM... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =158235750 What should I put in it? I'm thinking a couple of blue rams, a nice school of cardinals or tetras and some peppered corys. Oh wait, wrong thread. :lol: Ok so it has been a long day. to carry on the bird/fishy thread what about a peacock, cuckoo syno, lyretail guppies or cardinals Report
May 31, 200818 yr Author comment_238983 to carry on the bird/fishy thread what about a peacock, cockoo syno, lyretail guppies or cardinals :lol: :bounce: Report
June 1, 200818 yr comment_239142 I want an aviary im soooo jealous. I've even got species picked out already lol and I have to wait a few years! Report
June 1, 200818 yr Author comment_239143 Well don't be too jealous, I haven't actually seen it yet and it was only $45 so we'll see! I am thinking I might go for canaries and finches cos they're little. Report
June 1, 200818 yr comment_239144 hi smallfawnyoungcat the aviary on that site is only probably good for a few small finches, a pair of lovebirds or pair of budgies make sure you only have a small access to change food and water as birds are quick to escape probably cover 3 sides with a clear plastic as more shelter during winter they could be roll up ones looks like a small door at bottom for cleaning out floor you could put extra food and water on floor as well, just not under perches where birds poop Report
June 1, 200818 yr comment_239148 Well don't be too jealous, I haven't actually seen it yet and it was only $45 so we'll see! I am thinking I might go for canaries and finches cos they're little. I want them too! I love the canaries that look like wild green finches! and Also i saw in a shop a canary crossed with a goldfinch! was soooo awesome. Still jealous. But my aviary will be huge and landscaped complete with built in waterfall/water feature. So basically a slice of paradise in a cage and I'm going to have a patch of dirt in it where I will plant oats/wheat and things alike so they can grow and eat them much like in the wild. Ohhh im so excited I've been planning it for sooo long! What kind of finches are you getting? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.