Setting up an aviary

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO that avairy will be good for canaries and finches like zebra or bengalese. i hand a similar aviary but alittle bigger with canaries in, which i put wooden venetian blinds on which could be rolled down at night and during bad weather

I want them too! I love the canaries that look like wild green finches! and Also i saw in a shop a canary crossed with a goldfinch! was soooo awesome.

Still jealous.

But my aviary will be huge and landscaped complete with built in waterfall/water feature. So basically a slice of paradise in a cage and I'm going to have a patch of dirt in it where I will plant oats/wheat and things alike so they can grow and eat them much like in the wild. Ohhh im so excited I've been planning it for sooo long!

What kind of finches are you getting?

Hmmmph, now I am jealous of your imaginary one. I want to live there.

I am assuming that if I have more than one canary, the males won't sing?

I gotta say out of the 3 that you have listed, I love the budgies, especially a nice big brit show bird, with his big fat chest and crown... :D I love the interaction of budgies, the cleaning each other and beaking each other, very cute and the chit chat... I like canaries too tho... Lovebirds are pretty yet not sure I like the noise they make... she says as she has a big mouthed Alexandrine... :lol: However his chit chat is tolerable :lol:

I want them too! I love the canaries that look like wild green finches! and Also i saw in a shop a canary crossed with a goldfinch! was soooo awesome.

Still jealous.

But my aviary will be huge and landscaped complete with built in waterfall/water feature. So basically a slice of paradise in a cage and I'm going to have a patch of dirt in it where I will plant oats/wheat and things alike so they can grow and eat them much like in the wild. Ohhh im so excited I've been planning it for sooo long!

What kind of finches are you getting?

Love the idea :hail::bow::hail: . I love big setups that have all the stuff they'd have in the wild.

Can you have canaries and budgies together? I know you're not meant to have straight beaked and curved together, but are there exceptions? Budgies make the sweetest noises, but I love canaries. Hmm, I wish the guy who I bought it from would reply to my emails I want to collect it tomorrow!!

Hmmm livingart will be the encyclopedia on bird compatibility I am sure :D

I had heard that hooks and straight beaks are not good combo, not sure as I have only kept budgies and our Alex..

Budgies can definately be housed with other hookbeaks Cam :D It's lovebirds that can be such a nuisance, so I have heard :lol:

straight beaks with straight beaks

hook beaks with hook beaks

generally thats the rule

java sparrows are a straight beak that alot of people keep with budgies as they have a decent beak on them

lovebirds are nice but best kept in a pair as can have a go at other birds

personally i like canaies cant get enough of their song, but it depends on your own pref

I had 2 male zebra finches with a female budgie and a male budgie in an avery smaller that the one you've got. And they got on fine.

I had a couple of bengalese finches in my room and they were awesome :) I also had budgies in my room and every morning they would yell at the top of their lungs! shortly after many mornings of that I moved them to another room :)

straight beaks with straight beaks

hook beaks with hook beaks

generally thats the rule

java sparrows are a straight beak that alot of people keep with budgies as they have a decent beak on them

lovebirds are nice but best kept in a pair as can have a go at other birds

personally i like canaies cant get enough of their song, but it depends on your own pref

that is right on the nail

canaries singing will enhance the natural ambience in your garden :D

oooh that sounded posh didn't it :oops:

You can't go past Budgies, Hook bills are so much better than soft bills. When the Budgies bred you could have a cuddle Budgie for inside. Word of caution if you are addicted to keeping fish, parrots are a lot more addictive. Starting with Budgies is a good stepping-stone for when you get a full size parrot, Anorak and Morris Miner

You can't go past Budgies, Hook bills are so much better than soft bills. When the Budgies bred you could have a cuddle Budgie for inside. Word of caution if you are addicted to keeping fish, parrots are a lot more addictive. Starting with Budgies is a good stepping-stone for when you get a full size parrot, Anorak and Morris Miner

oooh can I wear socks with sandals too? My husband works for Stats so he might be able to get me some good sandals from there.

Went on holiday with girlfriend before we starting keeping birds and she said that we should go to the bird park. I laugh and made a joke about Anoka’s and MMs, think rimmed glass etc. Now the jokes on me if I had more time and cash it would be like a zoo at home. Next year hope to go to S America to see the clay licks etc but depends on getting someone to look after our house parrots. The amount of times I've gone down to the shops with a good load on my back is just a joke, usually only notice it when you see it all over the car seat when u get home.