Setting up an aviary

I was thinking of setting up an aviary in our back garden. I don't know if it is even possible though. I always had birds as a child, usually a budgie or two, but we don't really have space inside our house for a good sized cage and my husband isn't keen anyway. What sort of aviary would I need for a Wellington garden? I am supposing I would need one with nesting boxes for the birds to keep out of the cold in winter. Or does it get too cold/windy in Wellington for an aviary? What types of birds can be kept together? I guess I am thinking the bird version of a community tank! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi my husband and i use to breed birds,a great hobby.It would depend how big you wanted to go.One of those little sheds is a cheap way to get started,and just add the flight area.You can have cockitels budgies canarys ground birds.Love birds are nice,and you can put toys in for them,great to watch and lot of colour,but can pick on smaller birds when breeding.Or you can buy one of the one you can move around.You can have them in Wellington just make sure they are sheltered

I've just sold the two I had up here. The only problems I ever had was that with one of them, when the wind really got up it tipped it a couple of times and all the birds got out and the other one was the mice loved it all year round. Would just dig in under and used to catch them rolling the quail eggs out.

So as in the above advice, watch the wind and mice! :D

I once lost 23 racing pigeons to a pet ferret "that wouldnt harm a thing"

Arround $5000 to $10000 worth of birds and a breeding program that was over 10 years of work. Ferrets kill for fun and when I killed this ferret, the people reconed they would sue me. My lawyer wrote to them asking for $15,000 in recompence and they moved out the following day.

What Im saying is make sure that the wire and cage are totally pest proof from rodents through to dogs

General rule is not to have straight beaks mixed together with hook beaks, but in saying that we have bourkes and canaries together with no problems, and I know others who do too. :)

Maybe you could try budgies with a couple of cockatiels, a couple of bourkes and maybe some chinese quail for the floor? That would give you a nice mix :D

I used to have nine avieries which I built and after making a few mistakes concluded that the best netting is the 1/4 inch sq Made in China stuff because it keeps out mice and keeps in baby Chinese quail. As advised they need to be vermin proof or they are a total disaster. I have only ever kept hook beaks and soft bills seperately. Even quail get a hard time with hook beaks often (particularly love birds)

Hiya, I think it's a great idea to get an aviary!

Wellington is fine for most birds.

Our work aviary is 5m x 2m, with a hut at one end and double-door (escape-proof) at the other.

We've got just cockatiels and lovebirds in it. They have been breeding too.

Another hint is to mix pine needles in with your bedding, litter or nest boxes. They contain something that deters mites.

• 3 weeks later...

Ooooooooooh I have bought a small aviary (I only have a small garden) on TM...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =158235750

What should I put in it?

I'm thinking a couple of blue rams, a nice school of cardinals or tetras and some peppered corys.

Oh wait, wrong thread.

:lol:

Ok so it has been a long day.

Ooooooooooh I have bought a small aviary (I only have a small garden) on TM...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =158235750

What should I put in it?

I'm thinking a couple of blue rams, a nice school of cardinals or tetras and some peppered corys.

Oh wait, wrong thread.

:lol:

Ok so it has been a long day.

to carry on the bird/fishy thread what about a peacock, cuckoo syno, lyretail guppies or cardinals :D

hi smallfawnyoungcat

the aviary on that site is only probably good for a few small finches, a pair of lovebirds or pair of budgies

make sure you only have a small access to change food and water as birds are quick to escape

probably cover 3 sides with a clear plastic as more shelter during winter

they could be roll up ones

looks like a small door at bottom for cleaning out floor you could put extra food and water on floor as well, just not under perches where birds poop :D

Well don't be too jealous, I haven't actually seen it yet and it was only $45 so we'll see! I am thinking I might go for canaries and finches cos they're little.

I want them too! I love the canaries that look like wild green finches! and Also i saw in a shop a canary crossed with a goldfinch! was soooo awesome.

Still jealous.

But my aviary will be huge and landscaped complete with built in waterfall/water feature. So basically a slice of paradise in a cage and I'm going to have a patch of dirt in it where I will plant oats/wheat and things alike so they can grow and eat them much like in the wild. Ohhh im so excited I've been planning it for sooo long!

What kind of finches are you getting?