Everything posted by blueether
-
New koura tank
Pumping out side will work. might take a bit a electronics to keep the temp stable though. As for other fish: Gobiomorphus breviceps, Upland BullyGobiomorphus cotidianus, Common bullyGobiomorphus gobioides, Giant bullyGobiomorphus hubbsi, Bluegill bullyGobiomorphus huttoni, Redfin bullyCheimarrichthys fosteri, TorrentfishThe whitebaitmany of the non migratory Galaxiids (although most have very low numbers so not for keeping)
-
500 ltr plywood tank project
Fantastic tank, missed the building so just read the whole lot. I'll have to pop in and see it some time. I wouldn't worry too much about Inanga as Giants are quite lazy and Inanga grow fast I'd be tempted to get another 1 or 2 giants or banded and ~8 or more Inanga, maybe a koaro or two for the high flow section to go with the torrent fish
-
how do you collect your water for water changers?
I just turn the tap on and let the automatic overflow take care of the water level. The only issue I had was when I left the tap on too long and lost sone smelt. If you do want to de-chlorinate then I didn't have any issue with killing shrimp or koura when I did use it.
-
Red worms?
I'm stripping down the ex-tropical tank and there is a good population of red worms in the coarse sand, what is the best way to harvest them so I can move them into the 430L that is the new tropical (without putting all the sand in there)?
-
My dwarf galaxias
whoosh
-
My dwarf galaxias
keep up the O2 and keep it cool. Two pumps will warm up a small tank quite fast.
-
importing plants
Generally not do-able now
-
My 300L+ Native Tank
Well the do care to a point, as long as you dont go silly
-
New addition
The other meaning of Sage Thanks everyone, yes the fun is just begining
-
New addition
Cadence Sage joined SWMBO and I on the 3/3 @ 8lb 11oz (just under 4kg)
-
Tanklog of a ~400L 1200mm Native Tank - New photos 02/07/12
After 5 years of having this tank set up I've bitten the bullet and closed down the natives. After the pump for the chiller died at the height of summer and the tank hit 27 or 28 deg and losing most of the fish I kept it going with just the eel, 2 mullet, and about 5 bullies. But with the arrival of our first child I need the room that the 3 tropical tanks were using of have moved all the natives to a SS tank out side (about 300L) and are moving all the tropicals into the 400L. When We move house and I have the space I'll set up another native setup... One place we looked at would have been perfect with a concrete basement room off the under house garage, it also had a terraced garden that would have turned into a wonderful stream next to the BBQ area but the rooms were just too small...
-
Colours of cray
One of mine was quite blue, developed with age viewtopic.php?f=41&t=59348&p=638353&hilit=koura+berry#p638353
-
My 300L+ Native Tank
I'd full it right up. Chillers dont care about how much water is in the tank, only the thermal inputs.
-
Keep it cool kids, keep it cool.
Over the very warm weekend I had a catastrophic tank malfunction on the 430L native. The powerhead that drives the chiller failed at some stage on friday or maybe thursday night. I didn't notice untill saturday afternoon when the room temp was 30 deg and the tank temp was 26. Losses: All the giant kokopu both the torrent fish and most of the large bullies including the redfin male and the crans males
-
Natives for beginners
inanga, bullies and koura should be fine. smelt can be very flighty and I've had one or two try and knock them selves out even in a 4ft. peltier modules can work on a small scale but I'd not use them on a tank...
-
Native fish pics-kiwiraka
well it is a Galaxiid Going better than mine at the moment, but that is a story for another thread
-
Plants that don't need light or fertilizers?
Hygrophila polysperma and Rotala rotundifolia do well in my lowlight guppy tank, along with java moss.
-
Pothos: less nitrate, less water changes
Is it? It's roots arn't submerged at all, just a small flow through an airline.
-
Unusual bully breeding
Pass, there are far too many things to eat them in there. I doubt the Cran's cross would be, but can see why the common wouldn't be
-
Pothos: less nitrate, less water changes
Doing ok, the spider plant goes mad, and needs another good trim. The Spider plant is in a plastic planter box that runs from the front of the tank to 3/4 of the way back, the lilly is in a clay pot above that with a drip feed off one of the powerheads to keep it watered Sept 2014 Today (forgive the glass)
-
Keeping tanks cool without chillers
How warm does the room get during the day? ChCh can get quite warm.
-
Unusual bully breeding
My diadromous and landlocked common spawn together, and one of the common females even spawned with a male Cran's :fshi:
-
Keeping tanks cool without chillers
mine hit 22 the other day when the intake to the pump on the chiller got blocked, at least there was a little flow through it.
-
What if...
500 wont get you very far on a ~4000L tank Maybe a good sized school of Dwarf galaxias, upland and bluegill bullies and some torries. High flow with a sloping bottom from ~300 deep to 1m. Water turnover of edit 75,000 to 100,000 l/h should do it. maybe 40 - 50 000 l/h would be ok If you wanted plants then go the bog/slow stream and have giant kokopu and mudfish. That would open up all the bog plants/sedes/etc. Do a two depth tank again
-
Happy happy
sounds like it's cyanobacteria. vacuum it up, less feeding and less light