Happy happy

Benjansss

Just got a new tank its half a meter tall half a meter wide a 1.42 meters long

:happy1: :happy2: :happy2: :happy1: its gonna be a native plant invertebrate and bully tank

(Any one know how many bullys i could have in it very heavily planted)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be in the native section, maybe a mod could move it?

Anyway tank envy :env:

With a tank that size I think it would be much more dramatic and interesting to go full out with kokopu, inanga and bullies e.t.c... (if you can keep it cold)

But if you went with the boring option ( :wink: ) you could probably have 20-30 bullies (I think) just make sure there are lots of hiding places (bullies are active but as they get bigger and more territorial they need their space....)

Also if you take a large number of natives take small numbers of young specimens from multiple healthy populations.....

And large numbers of natives (as with all fish) need large amounts of food, so make sure you can keep up with their intake.

Hope I helped, have fun.

This should be in the native section, maybe a mod could move it?

Anyway tank envy :env:

With a tank that size I think it would be much more dramatic and interesting to go full out with kokopu, inanga and bullies e.t.c... (if you can keep it cold)

But if you went with the boring option ( :wink: ) you could probably have 20-30 bullies (I think) just make sure there are lots of hiding places (bullies are active but as they get bigger and more territorial they need their space....)

Also if you take a large number of natives take small numbers of young specimens from multiple healthy populations.....

And large numbers of natives (as with all fish) need large amounts of food, so make sure you can keep up with their intake.

Hope I helped, have fun.

To add: If you do plan on taking lots, take them from plenty of different populations or if you can find someone on here that's breeding bullies you might be able to get a few off them.

I'm hoping mine start breeding soon :D

Also if you take a large number of natives take small numbers of young specimens from multiple healthy populations.

To add: If you do plan on taking lots, take them from plenty of different populations or if you can find someone on here that's breeding bullies you might be able to get a few off them.

I'm hoping mine start breeding soon :D

:slfg:

Also, you might look into getting a shoal of inanga, shouldn't need a chiller (their ideal temp is about 20 deg, but they can tolerate higher, so you would probably be able to get away with fans on the tank if it's inanga)

But yeah with pretty much any other fish you're gonna need a chiller on a tank that size

What does a chiller do i had a tank a little smaller then this and it never had a chiller

They keep the tank cold.

Many fish prefer warm water, our native fish like cold water - in summer the weather is too hot and makes your tank warm.

By having a chiller your tank is kept cold just like the fish like. If the tank gets warm (pretty much anywhere about 20 deg) you start running into issues with keeping your fish healthy - so you'll want a chiller before getting any fish.

Also because your tank is large, the temperature is more difficult to control, while on smaller tanks you can keep the temperature down by using ice, it won't work efficiently on a tank the size of yours.

Im planing for commons uplands redfins crans and maybe tarndale if i can get my hands on some inandga are a good idea to though i think imight get one of those red crayfish to ( it will have limted flitering) so i would propoly get about 10 to fifteen

Im planing for commons uplands redfins crans and maybe tarndale if i can get my hands on some inandga are a good idea to though i think imight get one of those red crayfish to

Have you ever kept many bullies before?

Before jumping straight into a big tank, i suggest you keep a smaller tank (like 60L) with a couple of bullies till you understand how to keep them.

Make sure you understand the natural habitats of each of those types of bullies, as you'll want to replicate the environment the best as possible to keep them happy.

What filtration do you planning on having? You'll need a powerful canister filter to be able to keep a tank that size clean.

About chiller im in welling pton so 20 deg is very hot for down here

Nevertheless, to keep your fish happy you will want one.

I've notice my fish tanks getting over 20 deg (20 deg is too hot in my opinion) and it hasn't even reached summer yet. Your tank WILL get hot unless you get a chiller.

I highly doubt tarndale are a realistic idea....

Chillers are waterproof (they're designed for water to be pumped through them) but are pricey, I think there's one on trade ATM for 300, but it I'm pretty sure it's a small one.....

If the tank is in a well shaded and windy spot and you keep the more temp tolerant species (bullies and inanga) it might be okay....

you might want to see how hot it gets during hot days before you make any decisions....

Koura and plants dont mix

I knew I forgot something :roll: :nilly:

EDIT: If you want to stop koura ripping, tearing and basically destroying all plants, You put the plants in a pot so that the lip of the pot is at least the same distance from the substrate as the length of the koura.... It doesn't look very organised though....

So ive filled it with water and planted the frist few plants but its nealy been 24 hours and the water still very cloudy i know its sand particles (thats the sediment i have in there) but is this normal and if so how long shoud it take to settle down

So ive filled it with water and planted the frist few plants but its nealy been 24 hours and the water still very cloudy i know its sand particles (thats the sediment i have in there) but is this normal and if so how long shoud it take to settle down

You'll need to cycle it though, so it will take a while before it's 100% ready

Also why sand? Why not a gravel? A bullies natural habitat isn't in sand