Keeping tanks cool without chillers

willyp123

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how you guys keep your tanks cool without chillers over summer (I have 2x 50L tanks with koura, crans bullies and inanga). I can't afford a chiller - i've heard slicker pads and frozen water bottles work really well, as well as fans.

I've started doing both and found fans keep the tank coolest (generally about 16 degrees, rather than the 20ish it is without a fan). I ordered a cling on fan like:

hz9cYNR_zps6e2ce377.png

It arrived today and worked really well, but had to ship from Hong Kong, anyone know of a source closer to home?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fans, Slikka pads or frozen water bottles won't have a hope in summer.

+1 Gotta figure out another way to keep your tank cool.

Say you put in a 2L bottle of frozen water. I reckon that would lower the temp in your 50L tank by around 1degree and you would have to do that repeatedly throughout the day to keep it down... And the fan you have there says on the box can only do max 4 degrees (depending on circumstances, humidity, temperature, etc.)

So, it won't be enough for middle of summer in auckland. Gotta get a chiller.

This maybe a bit of a long shot, but have a read of this website.

The guy lives in Wisconsin which gets cold. He's some sort of engineer who does the whole aquaponics thing in his spare time so the problem he faces is the opposite of the one you face (he needs to keep his fish warm in winter).

Along with several articles about thermal mass, entropy etc etc, he's basically come up with a plan to keep his fish warm: convert old unused/dead chest freezers into fish-tanks. The idea being they're free or very cheap, already watertight and very well insulated. Because he eats the fish he coats them in something on the inside, but it's not too big of a stretch to maybe do the same thing to keep a body of water cold rather than warm.

Food for thought anyway. I appreciate a chest freezer doesn't look as pretty as a glass sided fish tank, but one stuck under your house, or a shady spot in general may work perfectly to prevent your water getting warm.

Since you only have small tanks you could maybe turn a bar fridge/freezer into a mini summer home for your guys?

Theres some relatively cheap chillers on both ™ and some of the Facebook pages atm. My chiller comes on when the temp reaches 28 and yesterday from mid morning it was on until late last evening. Thats with the fans working. This morning my tank was 27.3 at 6.45am.

But how strong would the pump need to be?

And open windows + summer = mosquitos....

You don't need to open the windows if you either drill through the wall or floor (suspended floor) :slfg:

I had a 25mm line from sump going down through the floor, then split into 4 x 15m of 13mm garden irrigation pipe, then back in a 25mm line up through the floor again and back in the sump. The 4 x 15m line was not burried (lots of clay = too difficult) but was under the house when it is quite cool. I used a 5000L/hr pump for this and water was shooting out the end so a smaller pump could do it as well.

This system was absolutely great at keeping my local marine tank (inside a warm house) cold for around 75% of the year but during summer I had to switch it off and use a chiller instead. The idea being that I would save lots of power during 75% of the year.

Edit:

Also important to mention here is that my tank and sump was insulated with 25mm poly on 3 sides (and under)

You don't need to open the windows if you either drill through the wall or floor (suspended floor) :slfg:

I had a 25mm line from sump going down through the floor, then split into 4 x 15m of 13mm garden irrigation pipe, then back in a 25mm line up through the floor again and back in the sump. The 4 x 15m line was not burried (lots of clay = too difficult) but was under the house when it is quite cool. I used a 5000L/hr pump for this and water was shooting out the end so a smaller pump could do it as well.

This system was absolutely great at keeping my local marine tank (inside a warm house) cold for around 75% of the year but during summer I had to switch it off and use a chiller instead. The idea being that I would save lots of power during 75% of the year.

Edit:

Also important to mention here is that my tank and sump was insulated with 25mm poly on 3 sides (and under)

Sounds good except for the fact that we want to sell our house this summer and my parents might not appreciate a hole in the wall...

It's really something all you new native keepers need to consider before removing the fish from the wild, seems kind of cruel if you can't supply them with the proper conditions because of money issues.

I did consider it, thats why i have 48 litres of ice (in 3 litre milk bottles) on standby, its currently taking 27 litres per dayto drop the tempeature from 18 degrees down to about 15 degrees. So its goingbto be time consuming but i feel confident i can keep the temp below 20.