Pothos: less nitrate, less water changes

David R

Here's a couple of pics of my Pothos plant (Epipremnum aureum) growing in the sump of my tank. These were unrooted cuttings when I put them there a couple of months ago and have since grown reasonably well, more so recently now they are getting a decent sized root system on them. Unfortunately I'm not able to compare before and after results with the nitrate levels as they have been in the tank since day one, but I've never had a reading of over 20ppm despite heavily feeding the plecs and arowana. This thread on MFK has more details, including some results showing how much nitrate they can consume once established. Mine are growing under an 8w energy saver bulb as there isn't much ambient light where the sump is. They'd probably be ok without it, but 8w 12hrs a day isn't much power and more light = more growth = less nitrate!

attachment.php?attachmentid=958785&d=1382488942

attachment.php?attachmentid=958784&d=1382488916

The roots have good water movement through them, and I'm hoping as they get bigger they'll help the settling chamber filter out more crap before it reaches the sponges.

attachment.php?attachmentid=958786&d=1382489058

I don't have any spare at the moment, but if you keep an eye on trademe there is at least one person there who sells it occasionally (you'll have to look for Epipremnum, not pothos).

I did distribute some spares when I first got it, interested to hear how other people are doing with it.

I love using the likes of pothos, they work gret for me keeping nitrates down, I find that after they grow a bit you can cut them in half and put the new half in the water, and it wil grow (double the amount of plants you have for no cost).

Personally I find peace lily to work better then pothos, but they do take up more room then the pothos.

Hey

I wanted to tidy up the look of the Pothos going into my display tank, so I brought a plastic pot drilled a hole and siliconed a pipe so about 3 cm was into the pot and about 15cm was sticking out the bottom.

Filled pot with pumice planted pothos with the pipe going into the tank next to the filter outake and waited occasionally watering hoping roots would appear out of the pipe.

Thanks to David for the Pothos btw!

IMG_0030_zps40936ee3.jpg

IMG_0031_zpsaaf848b5.jpg

IMG_0032_zps7e15cd7c.jpg

IMG_0033_zps6a2fc292.jpg

I think the great thing about pothos is that its easy to grow extremly low care and sucks up nitrates. You could do the same thing with allsorts of plants but you might need more lighting or nutrient supplements. Ive got a lily of some sort thats getting huge growing out of a tank in my garage under lighting, but the same plant failed exactly where I have the pothos now.

Good to hear they're doing well, Seth I think that is a great idea what you've done with them! You're right about them being super easy to grow, I think that is the main reason they work so well. I'd love to do an aquaponics set up and grow lettuce, herbs etc with my aquarium water, but this is far simpler and has similar results [for the fish].

This has motivated me do a small project on my 55g tank, I think a hydroponic box to replace the lid of the trickle filter on top of the tank planted with pothos/peace lily/orchids of some sort will be pleasing to the eye! And also slightly reduce my water changes, which helps when you are on tank water.

• 9 months later...

So I found an ancient giant pothos plant at one of my warehouses - no pics pre it's trimming but the single longest of it's vines would have been 40+ m long; so far it grew all the way to one side of the building up amongst the rafters so they turned it round and directed it back the other way. The middle sections of the vine had gone all manky and yellow but the tips were still green and healthy - probably due to the lack of lighting.

I plonked a section of it in my tank... it's gone insane. Took about a week to root, and now it's doubled in length in a month. The roots are so thick I think it's beginning to stifle the filter intake and green algae is growing on them (lack of water flow I suspect).

Has anyone had any success trimming the roots?

I'll pop up some pictures tonight. 0 nitrites/nitrates is nice.