Landscapers start on my new pond tomorrow!

Caryl

That nature reed stuff looks good and I was thinking of using it around the other side of the house but it is so expensive! The fence looks terrible doesn't it? I was thinking of just staining it until the plants grew to cover it. Would actually like to remove it (was originally built as a wind break as we were the first house in the middle of a paddock) and replace with brick columns and wrought iron palings but that too is expensive. We now have a reserve over the fence and other houses so wind break not so much needed. May replace with colour steel or Hardies stuff. Will give it some thought. Just found this site http://www.brustics.co.nz/index.php which sounds interesting and has lots of information.

Thanks Luke. Yes, I have been thinking about my pond for 26 years now since we built the house :lol: . I had a fair idea what I wanted it to look like but left the finer details up to the landscapers. They seem to have understood me well and I am very pleased with how it is coming together. They chose the type of rock, using bark, and the types of plants. We had said we liked hebes and grasses then left them to it. They also know Grant is allergic to a lot so had to take into consideration too. I wanted a natural look rather than something formal. My biggest worry will be the hedgehogs. They have a habit of falling in our sunken baths (I grow daphnia in them) and drowning. :cry: Don't half turn the water dark green fast!!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm OSH, the less said about them, the better.

Life jackets sound OK, but the wee hedgehogs could have some fun with the waterwings - a quick hydroplane across the surface? For about thirty seconds!

Hmmm...hedgehogs...I don't think we have them here...and what is OSH?

OOOOOOOOOh my Caryl...I am so impressed...this project is moving along so fast...and looks super, to say the least...WOWEEEEEEEEEEE :bounce: :bounce:

OSH - Occupational Safety & Health. The government service responsible for inspection, information and training activities in the area of occupational safety and health.

The landscapers read this thread last night - I think they think you are all nuts :lol: They did appreciate your kind words re their work so far.

They are out there digging up the old lawn, laying new topsoil and putting in the automatic irrigation system as I type.

Look here http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/publica ... gehogs.asp for a pic and some information about hedgehogs Caper.

Caper, an example of OSH requirements - on the door of the creche that my four-year-old attends:

Notice of possible HAZARDS: small children, small items on floor eg toys, water, sand, low objects hanging from ceiling... blah blah, the list goes on and my memory isn't that great, but you get the general idea.

It wouldn't be a main fence. It would be attached to the main fence :wink: . Might leave the plants to grow and cover the old one for now.

Day 11 and they have dug up the remains of the old lawn and brought in a couple of truckloads of topsoil. Most of the day was spent working out where to lay the pipes for the automatic irrigation system.

Day 13 (days 11 and 12 had work done but not the sort a photograph would show - lots of digging etc)

WE FILLED THE POND TODAY!!!! Took about 8 hours I think :roll:

13pondfilled.jpg

The garden on the other side was added to and the small pond put into place and planting established

13sidegarden.jpg

Here is our newly sown lawn from the pond

13lawnjustsown.jpg

and from the far side looking towards the pond...

13verandahtowardpond.jpg

The landscapers have been brilliant. They took my vague ideas of what I wanted and created just what I wanted. 8)

There are 2 automated irrigation systems in place, one for the gardens and the other for the lawn (which needed 7 truckloads of topsoil).

I look forward to seeing the plants grow as I have no idea what most will look like :lol:

Where they took the fence out to get the trucks and diggers in, we asked if they could replace it with a gate. So...

13gatefront.jpg

The rocks are holding boards in place where they had to do a little re-concreting where fence posts were removed.

13gateback.jpg

Anyone wanting landscaping in the Marlborough area, I highly recommend Impact Landsaping :hail::bow:

For those asking the cost - it was a LOT but worth it. There was a lot of work involved as you have seen and it has taken the 3 of them 2 weeks.

They will still be returning to check the lawn is growing well and the plants coping in their new garden.

I wish we had landscapers like that here is North Brisbane.

Looks great, Congrats on finally getting it finished, If I ever get to New Zealand do you mind if I come over to have a look?????? It would be a holiday in it's self to put a deck chair next to the pond (lake) with the fountain going and a cold beer in my hand would be nice and relaxing....

Anyways, looking forward to seeing your beautiful yard green over in the next month or so.

You would be most welcome to visit dee_jay. Not sure how green the grass will get in sunny Marlborough (despite the irrigation) but we will see.

Bad news this morning though as we got up to find the water dropped considerably overnight, despite the welcome rain, so we have a leak!! :cry:

Am waiting for the guys to come and figure out where the problem is. I don't envy them the task.