Landscapers start on my new pond tomorrow!

Caryl

Day 6 (we don't count the days they don't do anything) and they have almost finished painting the pergola, they painted the pond concrete to seal it, and finished most of the verandah and one of the viewing decks.

6pondfromtree.jpg

6pondfromfront.jpg

6verandahhalffinished.jpg

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blow the dust off your snorkels then as we will be able to start filling it with water in a week's time. 8)

Day 7. The verandah is finished, the pergola stained and the far deck in place. Soon be time to add the waterfall and rockwork.

7fardeck.jpg

Here is the view from the other end of the verandah looking towards the pond

7verandahlength.jpg

and here is the verandah from the pond end

7verandahoutsidelounge.jpg

Day 8 and things are starting to take shape. The rock placement has started and so has building the waterfall. The filtration unit will be hidden behind it. The pump is submergible and will be in the pond.

8pondfromtree.jpg

Planting of hebes has started and the gravel will form a winding path down the side of the pond

8pondfromfront.jpg

8pondfromfrontside.jpg

Day 9 and more plants have gone in and more rocks set in place. There's even a little bit of water in the pond! They must have watered the plants as we have been 19 days with no rain 8)

9pondfromtree.jpg

The seating at the far end has been started plus the covering of the filter unit.

9endseating.jpg

They have also started planting along the verandah.

9cornergarden.jpg

No cost for sparky as Grant did it. You do not require an electrician to install an outside electrical outlet believe it or not. He is an electronics technician mind you and does have a limited electrical certificate or something.

very impressive Caryl. Only things I would have done differently is installed filtration as you would a swimming pool pool pump and vaccum are incredible for cleanup and water changes) and installed niches for underwater lighting.

I would be really interested to know what sort of filtration you are going to use. Is it a ready made filter? UV Steriliser? We tried making a filter out of a brew kit - worked well but we were unable to cover it and the lid got a crack due to the plastic not being able to take the sunlight.

I don't know the filter brand (it is a genuine pond filter) as we bought it years ago at a garage sale but it is about 40cm x 30 x 30. A black box filled with different grades of filter material. It sits outside the pond and will attach to a large (not home at the mo so can't tell you what brand) pond pump that will sit under the water near the base of the waterfall.

It does not have a UV steriliser. I am hoping lots of plants, moving water, plus shade cover (tree and shade cloth on pergola) will keep the water relatively clear at least.

That sounds great, just missed out on getting one like that recently. I recently saw some ponds in an atrium that were filtered by inline swimming pool filters and UV sterilisers and it wasn't doing a great job. I felt it would have done better with biological filters. Unfortunately our pond get heaps of sun but will still clear with good filtration. Joze I am still trying to imagine a filter but would love to take a look. Will PM.

Day 10 and they have finished the front edge of the verandah, done more gardening, worked on the end seating and started on the other side of the yard (but not enough to be worth a pic yet).

The tall section on the left houses the filter. It has a lift-off top. I can see me sitting down here on sunny days with the laptop, surfing the net while watching the fish :wink:

10seatingfarend.jpg

10ponddeckfromside.jpg

10pergolaanddeck.jpg