Landscapers start on my new pond tomorrow!

Caryl

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barley straw was used for the control of Waternet. They expected the waterways and lakes to get completely stuffed by it.

Ever heard of it??

Haven't heard of it myself for years.

The birdlife in the Matata lagoon, were very partial to roosting on the bales pegged out in the lagoon for the above reason.

• 7 months later...

OH my gosh, just went through the entire thread just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Caryl, it turned out beautiful :bow::bow::bow: ...your entire backyard not just the lake, ah pond :lol: I do love the birdbath very nice one indeed.

I have to admit it's amusing to see the posts for December with the green green grass :P

Heck, got to win the lottery so I can see this in person :o

Caper

Will take another pic of it all tomorrow so you can see how it's growed 8)

The bird bath is a plinth only as the bowl cracked and broke in half during a heavy frost :cry:

The two climbers were also killed but have just started coming away agin I see. The tops of the hebes got hit by frost too.

OK here we go. The pond today...

pondfromverandahNov07.jpg

We have turned on the water fall.

waterfallNov07.jpg

and cleaned out the small pond (the rotting hedgehog polluted it badly). We have made a hedgehog bridge...

hedgehogbridge.jpg

We caught these from the small pond (saved from the large pond last summer)

goldfishfromsmallpondNov07.jpg

Here they are being released...

releasingfryNov07.jpg

and the other fish coming to investigate the newcomers...

investigatingnewcomersNov07.jpg

As the weather has warmed up and evaopration occurs, the ballcock has sped up

ballcock.jpg

More pics here

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v144/ ... 0Feb%2006/

:o:o:o:o

WOW :o WOW :o WOW

:o:o:o:o

That has to be the COOLEST pond/lake :wink: I have ever seen !!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Very cool ideed! Must be lovely sitting out there beside it on a warm summer day.....well anytime for that matter.

Yard looks great too!!

totally want a back yard like yours! :wink:

They are all fine now and happily cohabitating. It was 33C here yesterday so all were basking in the sun with some leaping about after mozzies and other critters.

There is room for plenty more! 20 fish isn't many in a 6,500L pond :lol:

I hope to add more plants though as I am surprised how slowly the ones I have are growing.

Caryl I bet your plants will go crazy this year.. last year they would have been getting settled :) This year they should be ready to roll...

It was near the end of summer when they went in wasn't it?

Cold water slows things down heaps! I got impatient with plants in my coldwater tank indoors so I turned up the temp a degree or 2 and the plants really took off!!

Give it a few weeks yet :) !! you can speed up the lilies by raising them up a little closer to the surface and then lower them back down again later apparently.. this helps them get more sun and warmth and grow a little faster.

Or take some cuttings... clean them up (KMNO4) ... and grow them in a shallower bin or tank on your porch or something which would be warmer than your pond for a while yet.

ah.. I just looked backwards.. your plants have been there nearly a full year now :)

Are they still in smallish pots? I put some in my barrel about the same time (similar types) and they've grown alot, but I repotted them into bigger pots as soon as I got them home...maybe they need to stretch their legs?

• 2 weeks later...