Landscapers start on my new pond tomorrow!

Caryl

As some you might know, I am getting a new pond! 8)

Boy am I stuffed! We have had to move 2 ponds, plus mussel float and fibreglass shell (daphnia breeding ponds), to make way for the digger which is coming through the fence (we will have to remove a bit of that as well).

Step 1: Empty and move fibreglass shell. Easy since mostly empty due to evaporation in the heat. Decided mussell float is small enough to leave where it is.

Step 2: Start emptying paddling pool (1.83cm x 38cm deep) and see how many golden barbs there are. We started with 19 when they went in around Christmastime. Odd, we caught - 19. Absolutely no fry at all! Perhaps they are all females or all males :blink: Put golden barbs in bucket.

Step 3: Finished emptying pool. Move carpet it was sitting on and pool round to end of garage and refill. Move all plants into it, plus those in goldfish round stock trough (1.2m x 40cm deep)

Step 4: Empty round goldfish trough then catch 5 large goldfish and add to refilled paddling pool.

Step 5: Move trough to end of garage beside paddling pool. Refill.

Step 6: Catch goldfish and fry in old bath and add to refilled trough. Empty bath. Found 50 goldfish in there of varying sizes. Not bad since it started with 4 goldfish 2 years ago. Obviously better at breeding than golden barbs!

Step 7: Realise golden barbs are still sitting in bucket and wonder where to put them.

Step 8: Remove leopardfish from 92cm tank in lounge and move to 45cm tank in spare bedroom, empty except for spare plant. Only 2 of them so no need for filter to be added.

Step 9: Throw 19 golden barbs into 92cm tank. Has Fluval 404 running on it so should pick up the slack soon. May have to do regular water changes until bacteria builds up in media ;)

Step 10: Clean up remaining mess ready for digger tomorrow.

All this was after I went for an 8km, 5 mile, hike up the Wither hills in the morning, then biked 4km, 2.5 miles, into town to join 2 kids and my brother on a 5km, 3 mile fun bike along the river bank with the Mayor as part of a nationwide competition to find the most cycle-mad place in NZ (part of a get fit campaign). I then biked the 4km home again!

I deserve an ice cream! Hokey pokey of course :wink:

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pond sounds like it will be cool, will we be so lucky as to recieve progress pictures?

Yea, i think that bike thing was on today cos on my way from home i drove up to the intersection and had to wait for 5 mins until all the bikers cleared. I definately think you earned your ice cream Caryl :D

If you had to wait for Caryl yeah she definitely deserves an ice cream. You biked along way Caryl. :lol: From Tauranga to Blenheim. :lol: You'll be sore tomorrow. Maybe it should be a rum and raisen icecream. Tip the rum into the hokey Pokey and add sum raisens.

Looking forward to seeing your pics. :o

Caryl, did you mean on step 5 moved "goldfish trough" by paddling pool? As opposed to moved paddling pool beside paddling pool? Might wanna edit unless you have 2 paddling pools that is? :D

Bummer bout the barbs, are you thinking of trying any others? Nice effort esp after your marathon

OK, I have 4 guys ripping out the fence for the digger to get through and starting to lift the old verndah (which is being replaced). There are green paint marks and a pink line where the pond is to go. By the end of today I should have a pic of the big hole which will be my pond.

Sorry to say Lyndy, all the guys are sunsmart 8) and shy. I am sending them the link to this site so they can see the pics and comments too and perhaps show other clients their work. So, if you comment, please be polite, or constructively critical :wink:

Here we are before they started...

This is taken from the house end

Beforepondfront.jpg

Here it is Day 1.

1pondfront.jpg

This was taken from the other end

Beforepondfromtree.jpg

and Day 1.

1pondfromtree.jpg

Tomorrow we will discuss the pond shaping. It is approximately 9.5m x 4m so far and will be a minimum 60cm deep and up to 1m deep.

No idea how many litres it will hold until we do a final measure. The dimensions given were for the top edge at the moment and doesn't allow for it sloping inwards.

No fencing or permits required. We have to fence swimming pools but, according to the council, if people aren't going to swim in it, fencing is not required! :o

Keep those pics coming Caryl, it's looking great.

Our new house is in the process of being built at the mo, on 1 1/4 acres, said to hubby, would love to have a pond of some kind, so keep those pics coming Caryl, so I can (maybe) get some ideas from your pond and put them into mine. :lol: :lol:

Great Work Guys :D

Lynda

I can confirm the pond is going to be huge ............. and I witnessed Caryl trying to talk the guys into working topless and showing off their rippling muscles but they just laughed at her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe she had more luck after Grant went to work :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jude

Well now Caryl, did you have more luck, with these hunky men going topless, after Grant went to work? hmmm, I'm sure the next lot of pics will tell all a, Caryl. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, with our minds back on the pond, (instead of the hunky men), It's really starting to look great Caryl, I'm sure you gonna be thrilled when it all comes together and you see the finished product. About how many goldies you think you gonna be able to fit in there?

Great Work.

Lynda

HEY...look everyone...pay close attention to Caryl's avatar...the halo is going to disappear soon :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Caryl, you must be really excited; your project is going along so fast! Boy, those goldfish are going to be happy in their new home!