Going Lifestyle "

Jaxxnz

Why don't we stay on topic rather than rehash old arguments. Back to the lifestyle block, Jack I think your best bet is to wait a little bit before making a final decision. Whatever you choose to do, it sounds like there is a bit of preparation required. Sort out your fencing and water supply etc. and work out how much time you are happy to spend on it. Unless you are going to be out there at least every second day I would not recommend livestock. However you may find you have a friendly neighbour who is willing to keep an eye on things for you that can reduce this. If you're anything like me you won't see it as a chore, but as a release from the rat race that we live in. Near in mind though that the times when you least want to be there (cold stormy evenings) are the times when it is probably most important that you are. Farming isn't easy, but it is certainly rewarding

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you basing your harsh judgements of jack's fish keeping abilities on?

Historical evidence. You can do a search on this site if you are interrested but I think some of the threads and pictures have been removed. I don't want to spoil this topic anymore than I already have by recounting those stories.

I wish Jaxx the best with his lifestyle block, I really do, and yes I am also envious.

Jaxx, sheep may look easy but are actually quite high maintenance. As Smidey said they will need checking daily, minimum. In the summer they need checking (in addition to other things) for flystrike as well, and feet checking for footrot.

My sister has a few acres and thought she would give a few sheep a go last year. She lost them all to facial eczema. She had no idea about facial eczema or spore counts before then, but won't keep sheep again.

I suggest that if you aren't in a position to go out there daily to check animals you either lease it out to someone else to run theirs on (there might be room in the arrangement for the leasee to look after an animal for you?); OR grow some plants or trees of some sort.

Christmas tree farm?

Smidey I think you know what I meant. It's the attitude from the outset of this lifestyle project I am questioning.

And no I have nothing against jaxxnz English skills. It may not be his first language but at least he is not afraid of using it and I give him kudos for that.

I don't really want to tell people off for something they haven't done yet so I hope you (jaxxnz) will enjoy your time on your lifestyle block and become a good farmer

it seems to me your totally over reacting.

I think I am just the only one who wrote what a lot of people are probably thinking on this forum..

a lot of people are obviously not as pompous and blatantly rude as you are. i think you made a personal attack on jack based on your own misconceived assumptions. i question your use of the word "evidence" where i'm guessing you have never actually been to see jacks tanks in person. i'm surprised and concerned that the mods would let this kind of behaviour go on on this supposedly "friendly forum".

back on topic, jack, i look forward to you letting my tents and extended family stay on your little block of paradise ;)

Thxs every1 for their kind input..

Iam sure it not going to make me crying in the toilet for any1 attacking me..iam was raise up in south Auckland "we take it, but we dont break" so it not that easy for me to be crying in the toilet :lar:

I will try to up load some photo shot when I get a chance to come to bombay.

David: pine tree are not a bad option, who know maybe I start giving out free Xmas tree to every1 here one day :lar:

How tough are pine tree roots? Plan b for build out I mean don't really want to hire big machinery to dug up all giant roots unground later??

If you're growing for Christmas trees the roots won't be that big by the time you cut them. Besides if you're planning on building in the next 5 to ten years I'd say you won't have to worry as you'll need some sort of excavation done anyway and the trees wouldn't be big enough to cause any issues in that time

• 2 weeks later...

just updating me lifestyle block!

securedownload-2.jpg

securedownload-3.jpg

THis will be first on the list for income rental or weekend holiday stay...

securedownload-4.jpg

these looked pretty cute as pet..also 1 horse and 1 donky is on the list for me and the kids..

there also some kind of trench or swallow pond.. :fshi: i think it going to be a fish pool for sure, but i might have to look at solar heating for it since it exterior..

securedownload-1.jpg

securedownload.jpg

I am wondering how much serious thought you have given this with regards to having animals unless you are living there. All four animals you have talked about require daily attention, twice daily at times. Goats won't stay in those fences unless they are tethered, ponies or horses require hard feed and hay, covers taken off in the warmer days and put on at nights, donkeys can be noisy and pigs also require feeding daily, to say nothing of what they will do to the land if you don't put a ring in their noses. Tenants are not going to look after your animals properly unless you pay them, not them pay you rent. You are more likely to get tenants if you leased out the whole property and let them bring their own animals.

I gather that this is bare land, no house already on it?

• 2 months later...

Hey people!! Just got home from a great BBQ night...

Ok just. Dropping some words regards to been new on this lifestyle life..

Yaaa baa yaa dooo that what I really want to say out loud,,,,

1) I have gone with beef cattle and beekeeping , it so fun chasing this sucker around the paddock!! Thou iam getting slack on exercise but it soo fun moving them paddock to paddock..

2) lifestyle block, you can graze,crop..to recover annual land rates..

3) never feel so free when working around the farm.,

4) some1 was on about..I should be there daily to look after the animal?

Actually no you shouldn't have to be there daily to keep an eyes on our livestock!

It depend on what you keep!

Now I've been in the ring I know it about!

Good grass, water, good fence that what it all about

I started with b/w heifers, drenching once in a blue moon and rotate them to different paddock is sweet ass.. Got some arapawa sheep as well.. They are one of the best mower you can get.. :lar:

Loving lifestyle soo much I've now purchased another 10 acre, and a pair of red band gum boot! :nilly:

Jack , is this by chance located up the top of the hill where the drury telecommunications tower is ?

those photos look awful familiar, I'm up there quite often for work.

ahh so you are the man who leave my livestock gate open :bggrn: (joke)

its breath taking view up there right.. i hear its more beautiful at night, been the new land owner i still havnt been up there during night time,,

do you work for Transpower?? if you ever see a silver hilux up there, then that me.

would be nice to meet you one day since we are on the same page.. 8)

hey i hear those radio tower can cause so call long term cancer ?/ is that true? i try to do some research on them but it a yes n no infos.. iam guessing you guy would some sort of protection or method of avoiding transmitted signal?

:thup: most comfortable thing you'll wear on your feet, if paired with nice woolly socks. Just need a floppy hat and black stubbies now...

total agreed on the red band! since i been slipping on these boot, i dont really want to wear normal shoes anymore.. :lar:

i now wear them most of the time, the wife are soo a noise with me slipping them on every where i go..you name! shoppingmall, restrurant, bbq party, even working at the cafe.. :bggrn: some how my skin are very thick these day..the word" embarrassing" dont really meant much.. :lar: (iam guessing iam feeling so free to my natural out fit, and not causing harm to any1..)

Stubbies!! ohh i dont know about that1 David...my beautiful hairry white legs are abit funny on them :lar: but i do have a floppy hat.. :bggrn:

ahh so you are the man who leave my livestock gate open :bggrn: (joke)

its breath taking view up there right.. i hear its more beautiful at night, been the new land owner i still havnt been up there during night time,,

do you work for Transpower?? if you ever see a silver hilux up there, then that me.

would be nice to meet you one day since we are on the same page.. 8)

hey i hear those radio tower can cause so call long term cancer ?/ is that true? i try to do some research on them but it a yes n no infos.. iam guessing you guy would some sort of protection or method of avoiding transmitted signal?

Nah , you'll be fine up there, most of the gear there is direct microwave links - unless you climb the tower and stand directly in the path you'll be ok . If you do tho, you'll probably start cooking from the inside out fairly quickly .

I work for Infratel, a rigging company - we subcontract to vodafone, telecom, 2degrees and so on to install and maintain those dishes on the tower.

You can blame transpower for the gates :D haha

Dashende's comment reminded me of something that happened to Grant years ago when the microwave dishes were first installed :smot: a bit.

He was towing one on a large trailer when he stopped at a settlement along the way. A huge maori guy was sitting outside the dairy and asked what the thing was on the trailer. When Grant told him it was a microwave dish the man giggled, Billy T style, and said "Wow. You must have a bloody big microwave!" :sml2:

Agree with Alan, no harm to you from the towers.

Dashende's comment reminded me of something that happened to Grant years ago when the microwave dishes were first installed :smot: a bit.

He was towing one on a large trailer when he stopped at a settlement along the way. A huge maori guy was sitting outside the dairy and asked what the thing was on the trailer. When Grant told him it was a microwave dish the man giggled, Billy T style, and said "Wow. You must have a bloody big microwave!" :sml2:

Agree with Alan, no harm to you from the towers.

Reminds me of a story my dad used to tell all the time. Went something like,

Mom: What are those big towers?

Dad: Those are microwave towers.

Mom: What are they for?

Dad: You know that fancy new microwave oven we just bought? Those towers transmit microwaves that the oven collects and uses to cook the food.

Mom: Oh WOW, I never knew that's how they worked!

Mom should have known better than to believe him....