Going Lifestyle "

Jaxxnz

just updating me lifestyle block!

securedownload-2.jpg

securedownload-3.jpg

THis will be first on the list for income rental or weekend holiday stay...

securedownload-4.jpg

these looked pretty cute as pet..also 1 horse and 1 donky is on the list for me and the kids..

there also some kind of trench or swallow pond.. :fshi: i think it going to be a fish pool for sure, but i might have to look at solar heating for it since it exterior..

securedownload-1.jpg

securedownload.jpg

Many here are on rural lifestyle?

I picked up a 10 acre block and have no plan on what to do with it at the moment!

I am seeking for some good advise on what to crop or graze on it..

I would love to crop it but can't be stuff with watering it on regular base..

Sound lazy right :lar:

I only love to spend my weekend on it and not living there on week day..

Magic top view, but dam sure windy..

What are the option with small lifestyle block??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 acres is a good sized chunk of land. Whatever you put on it wil require work, but it's definitely worth it. I grew up on 25 acres with goats and then sheep. They really need to be checked regularly, provided with water and moved from paddock to paddock. On top of that there is drenching, shearing vaccinating etc. If you want easy you should probably plant it out

Where abouts?? What is the terrain like?

We got the "lifestyle" without the "block"; one acre of bush surrounded by bush and a bit of pasture, no neighbours near by, no hassles with sheep etc...

Don't worry bro iam not ur new neighbour from hell. :sml2:

Iam on top of Bombay hill.

Been looking at the sheep, it looked easy to handle, plus lamb steak are quite delicious too :ske:

I would love to get back into my Chinese silky chicken again but can't be there to feed them daily..

Any1 :lar: got sheep here?

Also what the story with the pomps into mountain oyster? :lar:

so sheep. they are easier to handle than cattle but more labour intensive.

I had 8 sheep. they need shearing once a year, drenching a couple times in winter and if your fences are not in perfect condition they will often constantly escape. My fences weren't in perfect condition, they were pretty good but one of teh sheep was a real athlete and started to jump them and then call it's mates until they tried. Half of them would sort of hit the top wire and fall over the fence, the other half would just bleet until they others were returned to the property.

I ended up getting so frustrated with them i killed all of them which was a tasty end to my sheep farming days.

There are other things like fencing, water supply and supplement feed responsibilities that need to be considered. Over the summer we had a bad drought and water was an issue being on tank water. I have two angus two year olds. They can drink as much as 80L of water per day each. When you have near empty house water tanks, the land water supply, in my case it's a pond has also dried up stress levels rise & bank accounts subside as water is trucked in because the stream has dried up to a trickle as well. Also you run out of grass so have to buy meal or similar to keep them going if they aren't big enough to send to the home kill yet.

other than that it is great fun haha

buying drench can be expensive and butchering costs can be a bit if you aren't they type to kill, gut and skin the sheep. from memory it cost me $30 per sheep to be cut and bagged and that was through a mate that owns a home kill. I took the animals to the home kill ready for butchering so might be another $30 per animal to get them prepared.

I don't have the gear to prepare my beasts for butchering so it is going to cost around $800 to have one done. Sure i do get a lot of meat from that, probably a third of the cost of buying it from the supermarket but you still have to stump up the cash in one hit. I didn't have to buy drench for the cattle as my uncle owns a dairy farm so just borrowed his but if i did i think it would have cost around $150 plus the gun so it's not as great as some think.

:lar: :lar: that doesn't sound like part time...

I know fencing in perfect cond is a must for those animal, I can remember when I was traveling on a car from Akld to queenstown for skiing..I do see a lot of while goat and sheep on the rd during morning..iam sure they were lose cannon pet..

1sheep drink 80ltr daily? Dam..that like 10 sheep at 1 cubic daily??

My hill are to high and dont have paddock, also to high for drilling ground water..

But I can hook to town water..

So looking at 1 cubic cost at roughly $4 daily for 10 sheep, break down costing me $1450 pa..

What chance is that to paid for rates and so with 10 sheep?

It got some new fencing at front, and some lose pile at rear, iam ex builder so that not hard when come to fix it!

I thought u said one of ur sheep drink approx 80 ltr water daily?

I looked at farming lifestyle should be slow hard working and many relaxing timing...

I said Angus drink up to 80l, they are a breed of cattle.

Its something that you'll need to manage daily, checking all stock are still there. Very common that people kill and steal sheep as they are easy to handle especially in small paddocks. Making sure they aren't stuck in a fence or have escaped, also common for roaming dogs to attack sheep and in storms can freak out and run through or go over fences and get into neighbors place or onto roads. It is quite a job having animals, just like your fish except on a much larger scale.

Behind my property there is a small block of land that the nearby farmer uses to hold his carry over dairy cows, they are cows that didn't calve this season so won't be milked. He didn't check on them for a few days and one got stuck in the creek and died so things can easily go wrong if your not onto it. I check every morning that my cows are still here, they have got out once in two years, ran through the fence.

Coming from rural Canterbury I fully agree with Smidey. He has given the true and factual account of living on a property with stock. If you are going to have stock then you need to be out there way more than just weekends.

10 acres is a lifestyle, and you should embrace it :) I know a lot of people who commute from Bombay into Auckland and back on a daily basis. There is not a lot you will be able to do with your 10 acres unless you are going to commute and be there. Even growing things on the land is going to require regular irrigating etc which is not just going to be weekends. :)

I spent most of my working life dealing with people on lifestyle blocks. Many get a shock when they discover there are no street lights out there, they are responsible for their own water supply, sewage treatment and disposal and refuse disposal. Frequently mum is at home while dad is away working a second job to pay the mortgage. Many change hands frequently. It is a bit like those that thought living in a commune was a great idea when they came from a small family and suddenly find there are 20 people wanting to control the remote. Great stuff if you can handle it (and many do). Good luck.

Jaxxnz if you are gonna run your lifestyle block the same way you do fish tanks you can probably fit in 500 sheep, 200 cows, 700 chicken, a pride of lions and a few elephants. All in the same big enclosure of course.

Please don't treat mammals the way you do fish... please!

Hey why u want to have ago at me on this!

Iam trying to be sensible and mature on this topic..

iam here to seek for friendly advise not for u to give out poos!

Don't u dear push my button yeah!

Ok I will leave the jokes aside then.

I'm not sure if it's just your style of writing but it always seems as if everything is a big joke to you.. including animal welfare and ethics.

In this thread you are seeking advice on what to do with your land and it seems like all you care about is what is going to taste nice on your plate with as little effort in keeping it as possible.

I'm sorry to say but with your track record in fishkeeping this worries me.

I'm not sure if it's just your style of writing but it always seems as if everything is a big joke to you.. including animal welfare and ethics.

In this thread you are seeking advice on what to do with your land and it seems like all you care about is what is going to taste nice on your plate with as little effort in keeping it as possible.

What's wrong with that? I don't keep my cows for their enjoyment or company, they are food and will be very tasty. Yes they have had a good life well cared for but at the end of the day the are grown for food, I'm not going to read then a bed time story.

I don't see any problem with how he posts, it does seem that English is not the first language though which we can bee tolerant of, not sure about others but I read his posts in an Asian accent :)

Smidey I think you know what I meant. It's the attitude from the outset of this lifestyle project I am questioning.

And no I have nothing against jaxxnz English skills. It may not be his first language but at least he is not afraid of using it and I give him kudos for that.

I don't really want to tell people off for something they haven't done yet so I hope you (jaxxnz) will enjoy your time on your lifestyle block and become a good farmer

Time to go back to Jaxxnz's original query about Going Lifestyle -

Jaxxnz I found this https://www.facebook.com/lifestyleblock which also has a magazine. I haven't looked at it but it might be helpful.

There is also this http://www.ruralconnect.org.nz/led/get- ... yle-block/

Good luck - I am very envious of you :)