Movies and tv shows - let's discuss

Jaide

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw the attacks of Joffrey on the street scene - disappointing! I didn't hear one cry of "brother f**ker!" to the queen!

Arya's stay in Harrenhal has been sanitised.

Dany's dragons were stolen? Eh?

Oh well, find out more tomorrow....

We saw Django last night. I must admit I thought it was a 'serious' Tarantino movie so was quite disappointed by the end as it got a little ridiculous. It was also one of those plots that relied on some unnatural co-incidence occurring to hold it together, ie that the main character was a slave and yet could read and shoot accurately. The first hour or so was quite good. After that, think Kill Bill. I think Pulp Fiction was still his best work.

We saw Django last night. I must admit I thought it was a 'serious' Tarantino movie so was quite disappointed by the end as it got a little ridiculous. It was also one of those plots that relied on some unnatural co-incidence occurring to hold it together, ie that the main character was a slave and yet could read and shoot accurately. The first hour or so was quite good. After that, think Kill Bill. I think Pulp Fiction was still his best work.

Personally I loved this movie, typical Tarantino style of movie and cinematography. I consider True Romance to be his best movie followed closely by Reservoir Dogs.

Has there ever been a "serious" Tarantino movie? :dunno:

You sound like me Sophia, you get into the realism and start analysing (I also thought it interesting that a slave could read and ride a horse too).

I also watched this movie over the weekend - I enjoyed it but it's not one of my fav Tarantino movies either. I particularly liked the bounty hunter - he was very laid back, lol.

I'm currently watching Supernatural Season 7 (boring) and Sherlock Season 2.

Also finishing GoT Season 2 - have to say the tv series doesn't grab me as much as the books did.

Personally I loved this movie, typical Tarantino style of movie and cinematography. I consider True Romance to be his best movie followed closely by Reservoir Dogs.

Has there ever been a "serious" Tarantino movie? :dunno:

Haven't seen True Romance - adding to queue.... :dnc1:

I really didn't like From Dusk till Dawn - it started out well and then turned into some naff zombie movie :evil: (no thumbs down smilie....)

Yes I liked Reservoir Dogs. I consider that a serious Tarantino movie - black humour with semi believable killing scenes. Silly things happen but they aren't quite ridiculous enough to become totally contrived. Showing me continual blood splattering about like someone popped a meat container from the supermarket loses credibility with me and then I start to think it's not a serious movie. Django wasn't a black comedy as such I thought, more of a satire perhaps.

We watched 3 good movies in a row which is unusual for me as I'm quite fussy.

The air up there, Stir of echoes and million dollar baby.

Million dollar baby's ending was not what I expected and I found myself really feeling for Hillary Swanks character , after dragging herself out of her mundane pitiful existence with so much hard work and effort only to have it end that way really touched me.

My favorite author just died. He was 2/3 way through writing a book about a man dying of cancer, when he was diagnosed with gall bladder cancer :fshi:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/15/iain-banks-the-final-interview

I'm trying to finish his second to last book, but I just feel sad when I look at it now, and haven't been able to pick it up since he first announced " I am officially very poorly", as he put it with his usual grace and dark humor :(

Gandolfini was a bit of a shock, too. He was awesome as Tony Soprano - one of the best characters TV has ever seen IMO.

Hmm, I need a happier avatar...