cats, anyone else love them this much...

David R

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its legal as long as you follow all gun laws and make the effort to be humane.

technically you are allowed to shoot any animal that is on your property unless it is a protected species.

trap and drown works well where firearms aren't an option. alternatively when i lived in town a tom cat was bashing ours so i got a paint ball gun and managed to get it cornered on the deck, never saw it again. Trap and hose also works well to deter cats from coming back.

i love my cat, he is sociable, friendly and very tame, but he is a ruthless serial killer, often torturing birds by catching them, injuring them, releasing them, and catching them again. he kills 3-4 birds a week, usually sparrows and thrushes, and never eats them. with over a million cats in NZ, the numbers of their victims would be phenomenal. i have bought collars with bells on for my cat but somehow he gets the bell off every time.

You just described mine, who has a taste for blackbirds. I have just used the last of my collection of cat bells because he manages to leave them somewhere, so i'm going to have to go and buy more. I wonder if 6 weeks of feral upbringing has something to do with it.

I'd love to keep him inside, but I refuse to have a litter tray for 20 years (gross), and when he is inside he will meow and go wild and crazy until he is allowed out, he lasted two days when I moved house before I let him run free. He's always inside at night though.

I really don't like cats much at all, they make me sneeze and they're fairly useless, can't walk them, can't play fetch, but I love my little Ray the Stray, the accidental kitty. He might be my last, he might not.

I actually managed to read this whole thread because I think it's hilarious how worked up some people can get starting with one silly mans opinion, and something that I highly doubt will happen in my lifetime. :P

I really don't like cats much at all, they make me sneeze and they're fairly useless, can't walk them, can't play fetch, but I love my little Ray the Stray, the accidental kitty. He might be my last, he might not.

walking_fil1_052105.jpg

Cats can be walked just fine, you have to train them on a lead as a kitten just like you do with dogs.

Many cats will also fetch, they just have to learn. People have this self fulfilling idea that cats can't be taught anything so they don't try to teach them anything and then use that as proof that they can't be taught.

Trapping and killing feral cats makes sense, but if domestic cats were a huge threat to native wildlife, surely someone like DOC would have cottoned on to it by now?

Far too unpopular, its pretty obvious that in NZ we car about the environment but only if it doesn't upset too many people or cost/lose too much money. Can't import many tropical fish, yet we allow and encourage trout in our waterways because of the money sport fishing brings in. Not allowed to own/import many reptile species, yet the owning/breeding/distributing/proliferation of cats (which have well proven themselves to be capable of establishing feral populations and killing native species) are completely fine and unregulated. 100% pure clean green NZ, can't swim in most of our rivers because of pollution from our dairy industry...

As for the question of 'is it legal to kill cats', the answer is yes if it is done humanely.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Cat-killer-anger ... fault.aspx

Having worked at a suburban nursery and seen the damage cats do to small plants in dry soil, been asphyxiated by the stench of turds while watering in a greenhouse on a hot day, having witnessed what they do to plastic film greenhouse roofs in a matter of days, and experiencing first hand how difficult [impossible] it is to keep them out I completely share his frustration.

if you want to keep a cat, keep your cat in the house or fence your property accordingly so they can't leave your property or keep your cat in an appropriate compartment or cage. if you don't want to do that, don't have a cat. if you don't like to have a cat liter box in the house because of the smell, don't have a cat. if you don't want to feed your cat in the house for what ever reasons, don't have a cat. if you don't want to walk your cat on a leash, easy, don't have a cat. I am not allowed to let my dogs free roam in town, I am not allowed to let my dogs crap on neighbors property, I have to walk my dogs on a leash here in town. why should cats have other rights than dogs, why should cat owners have other rights than dog owners ? don't get me wrong, next week I will have a cat as well and it will be a lounge tiger with a liter box in the house and she will not leave the house. if I am not prepared to have a cat inside or in an appropriate compartment so she can not roam around and crap on neighbors property I don't have a cat...

I always find I think differently about people with litter boxes in their house permanently. How repulsive, even when clean they're still dirty looking. :sick:

the burden when you have a cat...

...no wait, it is less repulsive when the cat craps in neighbors vegetable garden, right ?

The Dr I work for has bred Birmans for many many years. There are a number of litter boxes throughout the house as they prefer to keep the cats indoors as much as possible (so they don't get run over, stolen or into fights with other cats). They are cleaned daily, often more than once depending on how many cats there are at any one time. When you have up to 3 cats with litters, that can be a lot of cats!

alternatively when i lived in town a tom cat was bashing ours so i got a paint ball gun and managed to get it cornered on the deck, never saw it again.
Now THAT is illegal. Shooting and killing is fine, shooting to hurt it is not.