cats, anyone else love them this much...

David R

Its not just about the birds, possums are a pest just like cats and doc does a lot of work through the bush eradicating them and planting natives already. What we are looking at is a problem, that statistically needs far more drastic action than possum eradication.

what stats are you referring to? the last stat i heard about possum population stated there are 70 million possums so nothing near eradication, yes doc is doing a lot to try and stop the possum but there certainly needs to be a lot more go into it. DOC also traps stoats, ferrets and cats don't they?

How can be cats be worse for native birds than 70 million possums? Possums not only eat the eggs and fledglings, they also decimate trees that the natives feed on.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am all for increasing native bird numbers, that is a great goal. I really don't think that reducing the amount of domestic cats is going to achieve a measurable difference on native bird numbers.

If they are serious about doing something to allow native birds to flourish then I think they need to do more about getting rid of FERAL CATS, STOATS, FERRETS, WEASELS, POSSUMS and even other introduced birds like the indian myna. That will make a difference to native bird populations by predator numbers and competition for food.

I'm not sure this whole issue from gareth morgan is about native birds, it seems to me that maybe he just has an issue with cats based on some statistics as it doesn't seem to make sense to me. I wonder how many native birds are killed by cars and trucks or how many native birds are actually out there.

Next it will be locking up sharks to protect fish stocks.

Solution: Don't let your damn pets or livestock roam. It's not that difficult. Any other animal you're required to keep under control, cats should not be any different.

Hit the nail on the head. It certainly won't be the silver bullet solution to restoring native bird populations, but every little bit helps and the money brought in from registration fees could be used towards dealing to feral populations of pests [cats included]. Yes there are plenty of other ways to help reduce the damage done to natives by introduced pests, but that is no reason not to introduce laws controlling the keeping and ownership of cats as there are with other pet species.

I disagree, cats are far less responsive in terms of active control as dogs and dogs are very rarely able to catch lizards or birds and are heavily regulated and controlled if any kind of comparison is made. Im kind of astounded that someone can say "my cats only ever caught a couple etc etc..". Are you home all day everyday? do you make sure your cat doesn't ever leave the house? even during day time? or do you let it do its own thing when your at work? do you supervise your cat when he's outside or do you attach a webcam to your kitty in order to assure and maintain the accuracy of these low numbers? Often feeding the cat well just translates to more torture for the bird or lizard.

:thup:

My father absolutely hated cats and killed any cat that came onto the property because a ferile cat nearly killed my young sister in a cot by sleeping on her face because it was warm. I just trap them and give them two buckets of water before sending them home. I can't see why someone else's pet should be able to come onto my property and worry or kill my pets. If a dog did it there would be hell to pay and I would not keep pets that annoy the neighbours or wander on to other people's properties so why should they.

In a previous life I have had to deal with pussie lovers with 20-30 ferile cats that were full of disease because they loved the wee darlings and fed them and let them breed but could not look after one cat properly.I think cat doors should be a criminal offence and cats should either be kept in the house or in secure cages outside like tigers because they are only small tigers with the same instincts. Trust me, I have been attacked by ferile cats and they can and do carry some pretty nasty diseases.

Maori Ate the Moa, Europeans destroyed habitats by mass clearing, cats are mild imo. We keep Pitbull's in this country yet they attack Humans all the time (and i don't care for that, its the owners fault crap as its just as much in there genes). It will Never pass. Nz has one of the dirtiest rivers in the world yet little is being done. The beautiful pure green environment here is on postcards not reality.

The problem isnt so much the cat as it is how easy it is for one to be obtained by someone who is just going to let it roam. Registration and heavily enforced restrictions should be put in place not a flipping "BAN". Gareth Morgan needs grow a brain, id happily tell him to his face the bloke should have been in the Hobbit!.

In Australia if you have a cat problem you can loan a trap to catch the cat and pass it onto the rspca, in the event it had a chip the owner would be fined before the animal could be released if not claimed re-homed or euthanasia.

"There is no doubt that cats do a massive amount of damage to our wildlife. In the interest of protecting native species would you consider not replacing your cat with a new one when it dies?"

If cats are such dangerous predators why did more bird extinction happen in NZ before European settlers and their cats arrived? And no, I will replace my cat when she dies.

It astounds me as to why Gareth Morgan is promoting the eradication of cats when there are species that do much more damage to native wildlife, such as possums, stoats, rats and even hedgehogs. And I'm sure 1080 has killed more wildlife than cats ever have. It makes sense killing feral cats, especially since they live in forests and prey on native animals. But wanting to eliminate everyone's domesticated pets? Honestly that is just ridiculous. My cat has never killed any native animals, and she has killed far more mice than she has birds. And the only birds she has caught are sparrows and finches that come to feed on the chicken's grain and the bread that mum throws on the lawn for the chooks.

Also conservation land around urban and suburban areas, such as Karori Sanctuary in Wellington for example, are surrounded by pest-proof fencing so I doubt a cat would be able to get in there and start killing things unless someone actually puts it in the sanctuary. And I doubt anyone's pet cat would travel hundreds of kilometers up into the what-nots where there are unfenced forests just to kill native birds when there are plenty of sparrows in the back yard.

Maori Ate the Moa, Europeans destroyed habitats by mass clearing, cats are mild imo. We keep Pitbull's in this country yet they attack Humans all the time (and i don't care for that, its the owners fault crap as its just as much in there genes). It will Never pass. Nz has one of the dirtiest rivers in the world yet little is being done. The beautiful pure green environment here is on postcards not reality.

:gpo2:

Im kind of astounded that someone can say "my cats only ever caught a couple etc etc..". Are you home all day everyday? do you make sure your cat doesn't ever leave the house? even during day time? or do you let it do its own thing when your at work? do you supervise your cat when he's outside or do you attach a webcam to your kitty in order to assure and maintain the accuracy of these low numbers? Often feeding the cat well just translates to more torture for the bird or lizard.

No, I don't have time for that. You obviously have no idea what my cat's like, she used to bring in all the birds (none of which were native) and since she had a run in with two cars, she never even leaves the property. When we are home, she just sits and watches the birds, if she does make a move they all fly off because she's too slow. If she was killing birds, they would be on the property and we would see evidence of it. I can safely say that my cat is not a threat to New Zealand's native bird population.

Then again, I know you're just being difficult and trolling cause someone didn't give you quite enough attention when you were young.

Doc are desperately trying to save lizards in Otago that have just about been wiped out by ferile cats. When cats are killed it is found that they are living almost exclusivly on lizards and the only lizards in the south Island are natives.

Cats are killers, just like dogs that were bred for fighting. I don't mind people having cats if they are properly contained.

Any time my cat has caught something she brings it to me and meows loudly until I come and inspect her catch. At 6am. Usually large insects, or mice. And then that only happened about once a year (and the last few years, not at all). I am home every day, and she doesn't leave my property (she is a timid cat). I definitely know about it if she ever she catches something!

We are thick with tui's and woodpigeons in our area and she wouldn't stand a chance of catching one of those birds - they are too agile in the trees and never go on the ground. She has never caught a native bird, only the occasional stupid sparrow and one cheeky blackbird that had learnt to eat from her bowl each morning and got his comeuppance one day.

In saying that I knew a cat in australia that learnt to catch birds with about 10 bells around its neck - it learnt to stalk without moving its neck and by the time the birds heard the jangle it was all over. Not every cat is created equal and not all cats are ruthless bird killers. I have owned cats my entire life and never have I ever found any evidence of them killing native birds - I don't think owned, well cared for cats are the problem here!

I think there is no way that NZers would ever give up their cats, they are part of the NZ way of life. Many many more cat lovers than haters. However there are some very slack owners out there that let offensive furry testicles wander the streets - should require a license to have a cat that is not desexed IMO.

Doc are desperately trying to save lizards in Otago that have just about been wiped out by ferile cats. When cats are killed it is found that they are living almost exclusivly on lizards and the only lizards in the south Island are natives.

Cats are killers, just like dogs that were bred for fighting. I don't mind people having cats if they are properly contained.

Ferile cats should be exterminated . Domestic cats are different.

SamH. Has your cat ever killed a Silvereye? They are classed as native and am sure the majority of cats has killed a few in their lifetime...
Not that we're aware of, despite spotting them numerous times around the garden. Anyone who knows my cat know how useless she is :sml1:

SamH. Has your cat ever killed a Silvereye? They are classed as native and am sure the majority of cats has killed a few in their lifetime...

None of the cats I have owned have ever done caught a waxeye either. So saying the majority of cats is pulling statistics out of your proverbial :roll:

Good to see all you cat owners must be watching them 24/7. I find it hard to believe anyone can say their cat won't do this or that unless you are spending every minute of every day there is no way to guarantee what you all are claiming.

All I know is I am sick of having to clean up cat turds all over my yard when I don't even own one, how is that fair. Especially when the spca demand a donation if I do catch one and drop it off. Last time I done that I claimed the cat was my sisters who had left town and abandoned it, even then I had to threaten to dump it if they didn't take it.

If you have silver eyes and you have a cat I guarantee your cat will catch one before it catches a sparrow or blackbird... But seen as your cat is physically impaired.. Maybe not..

What makes a cat more likely to catch a silver eye instead of a blackbird or sparrow? :dunno: You you have a link to any studies/research that prove this?