cats, anyone else love them this much...

David R

it doesn't help that cats naturally have a very large territory.

Cats have a range of around 5 acres or so for domestic cats up to around hundreds of acres for feral cats. Stray/feral dog packs have home ranges getting up to 30,000 acres. For reference wolves can be up to around 3,000,000 acres

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should people lock animals (cats or dogs) inside all day to suit people, with no tolerance?

talking of tolerance, why should I tolerate neighbors cat's feces in my veggie garden ? :sick:

My question is then why should a non dog owner, who has cats or not, have to put up with dogs doing the same thing or worse?

the dogs are micro chipped and if caught doing what ever they shouldn't do like roaming neighbors property or worse the dog owner can be fined for not looking after his dog. (cat ? what cat ? this is not my cat, I am not responsible for this cat. do you have proof that this is my cat ?)

Cats have a range of around 5 acres or so for domestic cats up to around hundreds of acres for feral cats. Stray/feral dog packs have home ranges getting up to 30,000 acres. For reference wolves can be up to around 3,000,000 acres

WOW!! Just as well domestic dogs (or cats) don't roam in packs, the SPCA would certainly have their job cut out for them. Although, the damage from a pack of dogs is far more intensive then a sole cat. :rolfl:

Listening to a bell tinkling while my lettuces are defecated on does not make me feel any better.Why should I have to cover my garden to stop your cat crapping on it. I am very tolerant ---I have not shot one cat yet.

:roll: I guess if people can't got the extra mile then there is no helping them or their garden :nilly:

Although, the damage from a pack of dogs is far more intensive then a sole cat.

I agree. just imagine cats would attack live stock and kill little lams or harm cattle, we already would have a law which would require more responsibility from cat owners to look after their cats (as dog owners have to) but cats only kill birds, rodents and lizards, so what... :an!gry

because it's your back garden the problem has come to you :dunno:

or I catch the cat with a trap and bring her to the next SPCA ? (I personally see this as a much better solution than to cover my garden with a net to get rid of a problem caused by a cat on my property...)

I give up, you win, you are right, I should tolerate everything other peoples pet do on my property, thank you for enlighten me, I feel much better now...

Why not? I have too tolerate my neighbors/neighborhood dogs roaming, digging up my garden and chasing my cats when the SPCA/Dog Control won't do anything about it.

or I catch the cat with a trap and bring her to the next SPCA ? (I personally see this as a much better solution than to cover my garden with a net to get rid of a problem caused by a cat on my property...)

you can do that, if it comes on your property you can do what you want as long as it's within the law

Actually I will admit to having 'water trained' my cat before. As long as the cat doesn't see it coming from you they just associate the water with the thing they do that's bad so they eventually stop doing whatever it is. It's in the SPCA how to train your cat guide too. In Alan's case he probably wants the cat to associate him with bad things happening though :slfg:

Wow so many naive cat owners, that has to be one of the silliest things I have ever heard - covering my garden so your cat doesn't defecate in it. I wish I was your neighbor.

As for dogs roaming and digging up your garden etc. at least you have the law on your side as to dog control laws and their owners can get fined, this wouldn't happen with a cat owner which is completely unfair and morally wrong in my opinion.

Just for clarification I do not own a dog or a cat though I am a dog lover and will get one when I once again live in a house that has a suitable section to keep my animal contained as I am a responsible pet owner.

Wow so many naive cat owners, that has to be one of the silliest things I have ever heard - covering my garden so your cat doesn't defecate in it. I wish I was your neighbor.

As for dogs roaming and digging up your garden etc. at least you have the law on your side as to dog control laws and their owners can get fined, this wouldn't happen with a cat owner which is completely unfair and morally wrong in my opinion.

Just for clarification I do not own a dog or a cat though I am a dog lover and will get one when I once again live in a house that has a suitable section to keep my animal contained as I am a responsible pet owner.

Silly or common sense? Seems like it's just far too hard for many? Why kick a stink when it's easily resolved? How can you help people who won't help themselves?? As for the roaming dogs, what good is a law when the "authorities" won't enforced them? The authorities have visited dog owners in my area several times a year and yet they still have the dog and they are still roaming. Go figure!!!

Why is it wrong not to take simple steps to avoid problems, if those steps are possible?

If a dog gets into your rubbish would you not just hang the bag from a tree or put the bag in a bin? Those are the sort of things he's talking about. Perhaps gardens in Invercargill are much bigger than up here, we have netting on our garden to stop birds and cats, our garden looks like an obstacle course with veges sticking out.

If a dog gets into your rubbish would you not just hang the bag from a tree or put the bag in a bin ?

my two dogs are trained not to go into rubbish bags, again why do I have to hang it high so that neighbors dog can't go into it when the dog shouldn't be on my property in the first place... ? (sure I will hang it higher eventually but I shouldn't have to...)

I guess ignorance really is bliss for some people.

"My cat doesn't poo in my yard so it's not my problem"

That's like saying that it isn't my responsibility if my child goes to school and becomes a bully because they don't act like that at home.

Ignorance is indeed bliss but on BOTH sides of the arguement.

This whole thread is full of people who are sick of ignoring the problems associated with cat ownership and want something done about it. How does covering my garden with netting help solve the problem? That's just a temporary fix and a waste of time, also how would this help when they don't just defecate on my gardens but my lawns, daughters trampoline, concrete path and my bark covered gardens aswell, I suppose I should cover all of them with netting aswell?