cats, anyone else love them this much...

David R

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither do we. Don't forget it was the first humans to arrive that wiped out the Moa. I agree that feral cats need to go, cats that kill native birds need to go or be heavily regulated but my point is that not ALL cats are an issue. As CC said, raggies have a tendency to lounge around and my cat is proof that they're not all ruthless killers. Regulation is key, the idea that all cats are the same is just wrong.

Regulation doesn't really do anything but line the pockets of those who make the regulations. Doesn't stop the people who don't control their animals.

I'd like to be able to have access to cat traps and have somewhere to take a cat that was misbehaving, whether it was my cat or not. I knew a domestic cat that had behaviour problems and really should have been put down because the only behaviour it displayed was fierce territorial aggression when it was outside it's house. I can't remember if it'd been neutered or not but there was no way for it to be dealt with other than seriously upsetting neighbours who could take action back, or taking matters into our own hands.

Regulation doesn't really do anything but line the pockets of those who make the regulations.

Perhaps such pocket linings could be better put to use in the form of cat poison or traps in native bush? That way, it only targets offending felines, not the innocent stay at home moggies.

Puting chips in cats would have the same problem as in dogs. You have to catch them before you can read the chip. It is the free roaming 6 cats in my area that anoy me not people who keep their cats at home. There are new breeds of cats being imported which are real hunters and god help the wildlife if they start roaming or becoming ferile

Perhaps such pocket linings could be better put to use in the form of cat poison or traps in native bush? That way, it only targets offending felines, not the innocent stay at home moggies.

agreed but when does that happen? money in does not become money out to solve the problem in the eyes of the government

I think there should be at the very least regulations on where you can own cats. If you choose to live next to a reserve or in a ecologically sensitive erea then you should'nt own a cat. It should be a zoneing law that people are made well aware of before they move.

More and more people are moving out into the countryside/bush and generally takeing there cats with them and that will have an impact if you want to live with nature in new zealand then a cat shouldnt be part of your lifestyle.

It's ridiculous with the amount of work being done on pest control that you can move in next door to a reserve or national park for that matter and own as many free rangeing cats as you want with no legal implications whatsoever.

And for the record I genuinly like cats and get really attached to them. Its not personal but I can see quite plainly what they are biologically speaking.

Good on you Gareth. at last someone who has spoken out. I will shake his hand.

I do not hate cats I hate them being here!

Pick up your cat, carry them into a native forest...you will not be able to hold on, they will want to hunt, powerful hunters.

I am sick and tired of hearing ....."my cats is different...".

Phase them out, get rid of them before we here the last song.

cat-eating-bird.jpg

Good on you Gareth. at last someone who has spoken out. I will shake his hand.

I do not hate cats I hate them being here!

Pick up your cat, carry them into a native forest...you will not be able to hold on, they will want to hunt, powerful hunters.

I am sick and tired of hearing ....."my cats is different...".

Phase them out, get rid of them before we here the last song.

cat-eating-bird.jpg

What a load! A cat that has never been out of the house is going to take off into the wilderness my rear!. Its like making the statement a hunting dog and a lap dog are the same!. I do not hate humans but i hate them being here!. Native birds and skinks, i just watched as a whole new development in Waitakere got put up where it was native bush so dense you couldn't see the other side, i use to walk my kids through to show them the lizard's when you sat still, its now nothing more than bark chip, cement and dirt, it was full of skinks, wren etc humans killed thousands in one day! in this tiny area, all for profit!, yet cats are the major problem! lol.

I think there should be at the very least regulations on where you can own cats. If you choose to live next to a reserve or in a ecologically sensitive erea then you should'nt own a cat. It should be a zoneing law that people are made well aware of before they move.

More and more people are moving out into the countryside/bush and generally takeing there cats with them and that will have an impact if you want to live with nature in new zealand then a cat shouldnt be part of your lifestyle.

It's ridiculous with the amount of work being done on pest control that you can move in next door to a reserve or national park for that matter and own as many free rangeing cats as you want with no legal implications whatsoever.

:thup: :thup:

What a load! A cat that has never been out of the house is going to take off into the wilderness my rear!.

do you play with your cat ? put a small crumpled piece of paper or similar to a piece of cord and pull it in front of your cat. does she get interested ? does she look at it with very big eyes, her backside and tail wiggling and suddenly jumps at it ? - the same will happen if she sees a lizard or bird or what ever small animal she sees in the bush even if she was never outside or in the bush before...

Iv spent years in pet shops and veterinary clinics, the statement made instigated that they where merely going to run into the bush due to instinct "not" if they sore an animal they would run after it (maybe the statement needed be clearer). These animals don't just become wild they must first become accustomed to it (being left outside or to roam as pleases) read my arguments im not saying they aren't lethal hunters. As Mcculloch said Zone restrictions. Micro-chipping would help, you catch a cat in a reserve has no chip its killed by spca the owner buys a new one, now change it so the cat is found the owner is fined, do you think there going to get another if they don't believe they can contain it?. No it doesn't save the birds or lizards instantly but its going to take time regardless. There will never be a blanket ban of cat's.

I think cats are misunderstood, a lot of people think they play and are loving.

Far from it, they are training to hunt and bonding as a pack with you. They are wonderful animals, great hunters and that's why they are so dangerous.

Tap on the side of your fish tank, are they coming to say hello? come on. ...they think you have food.

In nature there are harmonious inter species relationships, dog and man is one, crabs and fish, cleaner wrasse etc. NOT CAT AND MAN!!

Give me the song of a bell bird, rather then picking up neighbors ******* cat crap from my vegetable garden.

What a load! A cat that has never been out of the house is going to take off into the wilderness my rear!. Its like making the statement a hunting dog and a lap dog are the same!. I do not hate humans but i hate them being here!. Native birds and skinks, i just watched as a whole new development in Waitakere got put up where it was native bush so dense you couldn't see the other side, i use to walk my kids through to show them the lizard's when you sat still, its now nothing more than bark chip, cement and dirt, it was full of skinks, wren etc humans killed thousands in one day! in this tiny area, all for profit!, yet cats are the major problem! lol.

I whole heartedly agree with you there. People are a bigger problem than cats.