Dispose of unwanted fish in trash? World issues solved here!

GrahamC

It can result in a person having a remarkable attitude to life and death though. A friend drowned when he was a kid and all he says is he saw the light. He is the most focused single minded person I have met and has absolutely no fear of life or death. His aim is to do one thing every day that absolutely scares him.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well from what ive read from the last page its all quite well thought out, i have had many debates re religion.

Christian mothers side(she later converted), Mulsim fathers side(good muslim not bad one lol), brought up semi-muslim(i love bacon lol, but mums coming home so gotta lay off it).

Decided to be on the undecided team(or rather have my own beliefs, a 1 man religion lol). have read Quran, bible and torah, and done a bit of study on various other religious views etc. have also learnt arabic, hebrew, latin, and other languages to get a better understanding of the texts, as far as i can tell most of the differences are due to lost in translation from hebrew for the abrahamic religions.

main thing i hate is how people misinterprit the views and hows it may be misconstrued and how people act upon those thoughts. but im always willing to listen to other people as long as im not hung over a bridge for my own views, bloody mormons lol, grandad chased em off his property with a pitch fork once cos they tried to shove it down his thoat to much.

I figure if i can have as much knowledge as i can, and not just religion, and in as original language as i am able to learn, and i only state the facts, i can therefore not be wrong. Which in turn would make me right.

as far as i can tell most of the differences are due to lost in translation from hebrew for the abrahamic religions.

:slfg: So true.

main thing i hate is how people misinterprit the views and hows it may be misconstrued and how people act upon those thoughts

"Celibate? I said CELEBRATE!"

Many Christians have taken some verse and twisted it to their own means or agenda. This is human nature, not just Christians. Often in a religious discussion you will find a non-Christian quoting something from the bible. Turn the other cheek is a common one.

This works both ways. Many non-Christians will say that the Christians did this, or the Christians do that. So many blame all Christians for the actions of a few. Yes, some actions were very wrong, but some were very right. The Catholic Church may have hung and tortured scientists, but they also started the first university and kicked off the documented search for scientific proof. I am not trying to say one makes up for the other, just pointing out that you can't think of us as all the same. You wouldn't throw tropicals and goldfish together (or at least I hope not!)

im always willing to listen to other people as long as im not hung over a bridge for my own views, bloody mormons lol, grandad chased em off his property with a pitch fork once cos they tried to shove it down his thoat to much

I try to listen. Some people are infuriating, I'm sure they say the same about me, but I at least hear them out.

I always found it interesting that they honestly believe they can change someone's mind by bugging them on their day off and not leaving. That would put me off finding out more.

It is as you say bad to lump all people together and say they are all bad. As an example I have a friend who is a bishop in the morman church, knows I do not accept his views and has never once tried to convert me. He is in Australia now but used to often ask what I thought about things in order to get another view. As you well know not all muslims are wearing explosive vests even though many would have us believe that.

It is as you say bad to lump all people together and say they are all bad. As an example I have a friend who is a bishop in the morman church, knows I do not accept his views and has never once tried to convert me. He is in Australia now but used to often ask what I thought about things in order to get another view. As you well know not all muslims are wearing explosive vests even though many would have us believe that.

So i dont have to wear this vest to fit in with the crowd... lol

personally i like to hear peoples views on their own and others religion, can get rather insightful. plus it opens a channel for debate and i must say, im a pretty good debater :D

Islam is actually a very sensible religion in a lot of ways, but yeah sheep is right, a single person can not be held responsible for the views of a church or group that may incite some level of extremism. Plenty of my friends believe in Jesus and don't think that its fair gays can't marry, but you wont hear them say that in church.

Is that something to do with IronMan?

interesting way to put it but some would say yes :D

The next step in human evolution, ie transcendence, or as my physics teacher explained to me, evolving into pure energy.

Ironman, being super intelligent, is kept alive with a power core, can fly etc all are theoretically traits involved with evolving to the next step :D

This will help you understand http://i.imgur.com/ECYAo.png

and then this, if you can wrap your head around it will make you lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/fifthworldproblems/comments/120kai/considering_gender_reassignment_surgery_which_of/

Transhumanism is very real. And is quite a neat way of looking at progress.

When you die and when your born, a large amount of a chemical called DMT is released into your body, only happens on this level at those two points in your life and this is shared across all species on earth with a brain. Its a heavy hallucinogen that has often been described as heavenly, sometimes as very abstract. It doesn't really surprise me then that people come back occasionally saying they've seen god even though i know your making a joke :slfg:

Is that why attempting suicide is illegel? because you get high. from your own supply if you will :sml1: :slfg:

Can some one please tell me how old the world is ?

nuclear fission is actually very interesting, there is a sort of natural anti-nuclear reaction humanity has because of what the word "nuclear" has traditionally stood for and been associated with to - negative light. As our understanding of it and the way we use it and harness it has continued to grow so has are ability to use it as a resource fairly safely. And to claim that its just unnatural and shouldn't be done, you only need to take a look at the universe and our physiology, which is continually exposed to these elements and their effects to see that its a fundamental part of life. I'm not advocating it, i still don't want it in this country, but it'd be better than the damage we've done to innocent aquatic life and the creatures that extend from that. I don't mind humanity hurting itself occasionally but it shouldn't be at the cost of species that may never exist in this universe again.

nuclear fission is actually very interesting, there is a sort of natural anti-nuclear reaction humanity has because of what the word "nuclear" has traditionally stood for and been associated with to - negative light. As our understanding of it and the way we use it and harness it has continued to grow so has are ability to use it as a resource fairly safely. And to claim that its just unnatural and shouldn't be done, you only need to take a look at the universe and our physiology, which is continually exposed to these elements and their effects to see that its a fundamental part of life. I'm not advocating it, i still don't want it in this country, but it'd be better than the damage we've done to innocent aquatic life and the creatures that extend from that. I don't mind humanity hurting itself occasionally but it shouldn't be at the cost of species that may never exist in this universe again.

it only takes one unforeseen natural event to damage a large area that you wouldn't see fixed in your lifetime

Must say this is a fantastic thread

I hold views much like David R I think. Brought up in a christian house these views still play a large part of my world view (my facebook wall can make interesting reading with friends on both sides of say the marriage debate).

I have no problems with local evolution, but no-one has yet shown me it working on a much larger scale... I don't want to start that debate though

One of the most interesting books I've read is A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. If you like science a little but not too much it's a good book. Very well written I thought. He talks about Evolution and the birth of our earth in such a way that even if it were a big accident, that it was still a humbling miracle in itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Short_Hi ... Everything