Dispose of unwanted fish in trash? World issues solved here!

GrahamC

The speed at which you walk on that train is relative to the train. Everything needs a reference frame. Remember that we are on a planet that is rotating on an axis, is hurtling around the sun in a galaxy that is slowly rotating as it moves through space.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The speed at which you walk on that train is relative to the train. Everything needs a reference frame. Remember that we are on a planet that is rotating on an axis, is hurtling around the sun in a galaxy that is slowly rotating as it moves through space.

But in relative velocity, you are traveling faster than the speed of light, relative to the ground or whatever the train is traveling the speed of light too (does that make sense?).

If you think about as a mass (rest mass<0) travels at light speed it's mass will become infinite, what happens if it travels faster than the speed of light?

its because of research funding issues, no one is gonna pay $$$ for someone to work out something new when they can put those same $$$ into refining something that they can get money back out of....

hence a rather corrupted research field. although there is some interesting developments happening in biological computing.

the other thing is that we get most of out information out of mainstream media which to be honest is too stupid to even understand half of the crap it reports on (please remember the hype surrounding the Large Hadron Collider) there are hundreds and thousands of discoveries made that are FAR FAR beyond what the average person could even comprehend. one brilliant example is there is a quantum particle that requires 36 rotations on a single axis to return to the same point.

I think the main problem is that we are too lazy to hunt up the really cool stuff anymore (google is destroying our society :P:P )

Interesting, the only other place other than google I can think of is libraries, most of the information in them I can find from google anyway. Being 17, I don't think I would be able to comprehend more advance physics without learning the basics through college first.

If you are on that train, you would also be traveling at the speed of light, so it wouldn't matter where you walked, unless you walked off the train, (I'm guessing off the side rather than off the front (SQUISH)), in which case you would begin to slow down VERY fast.

Speed of light = 299 792 458 ms-1

I'm sure there are things that COULD go faster, we just cannot observe or record them yet.

the only word I am going to say is Neutrinos and not.... 149030.jpg

just don;t ask me what they are

CERN says a neutrino beam fired from a particle accelerator near Geneva to a lab 454 miles (730 kilometers) away in Italy traveled 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light. Scientists calculated the margin of error at just 10 nanoseconds, making the difference statistically significant. But given the enormous implications of the find, they still spent months checking and rechecking their results to make sure there were no flaws in the experiment.

actually....

n February 2012, the OPERA collaboration announced two possible sources of error that could have significantly influenced the results.[7]

A link from a GPS receiver to the OPERA master clock was loose, which increased the delay through the fiber. The glitch's effect was to decrease the reported flight time of the neutrinos by 73 ns, making them seem faster than light.[21][22]

A clock on an electronic board ticked faster than its expected 10 MHz frequency, lengthening the reported flight-time of neutrinos, thereby somewhat reducing the seeming faster-than-light effect. OPERA stated the component had been operating outside its specifications.[23]

or else there is always quantum entaglement where two related quantum particles react to stimuli without any spatial correlation. experiments are underway to create communication using this phenomenon and also supercomputers using faster than light transmission of data.....

I personally think the "black hole" the researchers at the LHC where trying to describe to the media was actually a poor attempt to describe the "higgs bosun" in laymans terms

lets not forget that 70% of the universes matter is unnaccounted for or else our form of mathematics s completely flawed.

just as we are discussing things that humans may not have a total knowledge on, I watched a small segment of a doco yesterday about how insteed of making a civilasation on other planets that we shpuld try start up above and below the sea

I have a brain ache for you:

Will computers get powerful enough to run SIMs that are believable?

Will this computing power be within the reach of most people?

Will that mean that there will be many of these eventually?

If all of the come to pass what are the odds that you are part of someone else's SIM and don't exist in the real world?

how to be a mega troll....

Find 3-5 extra participants.

choose a target.

at random points during the day wander past said target and make small comments such as:

1: you are in a coma

2:wake up, you are in a coma

3: I wish you would wake up

4: wake up

after making said comment continue on your way ignoring the fact you have said anything.

you get double points for inserting a comment into a conversation without acting like it was meant to be there.

btw any one else ever see eXistenZ???? the movie??

thats a mind blower

I have a brain ache for you:

Will computers get powerful enough to run SIMs that are believable?

They are already there.

Will this computing power be within the reach of most people?

Not for a while, no one has thrown money at it yet. Tell Apple that Samsung are working on it - problem solved.

Will that mean that there will be many of these eventually?

Probably.

If all of the come to pass what are the odds that you are part of someone else's SIM and don't exist in the real world?

At the moment, very unlikely. Otherwise our simulation would contain some of this seemingly-futuristic technology.

how to be a mega troll....

Find 3-5 extra participants.

choose a target.

at random points during the day wander past said target and make small comments such as:

1: you are in a coma

2:wake up, you are in a coma

3: I wish you would wake up

4: wake up

after making said comment continue on your way ignoring the fact you have said anything.

you get double points for inserting a comment into a conversation without acting like it was meant to be there.

btw any one else ever see eXistenZ???? the movie??

thats a mind blower

Good Movie. Better than Inception.

They are already there.

Not for a while, no one has thrown money at it yet. Tell Apple that Samsung are working on it - problem solved.

Probably.

At the moment, very unlikely. Otherwise our simulation would contain some of this seemingly-futuristic technology.

Bu if you can have a SIM of a real world place, why not time period?

But if you can have a SIM of a real world place, why not time period?

Interesting. I suppose it is fully possible that I am just a computer code. But I don't think so (but maybe I'm just programmed not to think so?)